Dimebag Concrete Sledge ML review by Dean

Dean: Dimebag Concrete Sledge ML

This is a Korean made import produced for 2012, it can be found on page 4 in the downloadable version of the Dean Guitars catalog & is a Limited Run of 333 worldwide. It has a scale length of 25 1/2 w/ a C shape bound neck which feels really close to the '90s Jackson neck. The fretboard is made of rosewood and has 24 frets and sports "Sledge" pearl inlays, also known by the rest of us as sharkfins.

**Note** The Dean Guitars website specs this guitar with no binding, that is a typo. The cream binding can clearly be seen on the neck in the stock images.

Also the guitar in the images is not part of the 333 run, it is in fact the prototype which MAB plays in the video demo of this powerful beast! Notice the US (Un Sung factory) Serial # and NO, X of 333. These do not have the US serial #'s stamped on the back of the head stocks like normal production run guitars.

At the time of this review the instrument is also discontinued from production, but there are still a few to be purchased on the net. \m/

The body/top and neck wood is Mahogany, but you cannot see any natural wood due to the glossy "Concrete" grey-ish paint and graphic, which are stunning in person and POP in any environment on the Dean ML body. The hardware is black and it starts with the Grover non-locking tuning machines mounted to a really cool looking reverse headstock. The original style Floyd Rose 1000 series tremolo is top mounted and non-recessed.. It's also Korean made but just like the rest of the guitar quality does not suffer due to origin of manufacture.

The pickups are a HH configuration the DMT (DimeTime) USA in the neck position and the Bill Lawrence X500XL in the bridge. I'm not very happy with the DMT in the neck, but that's mostly due to my unwillingness to break the tape over the screw heads to adjust the pickup height. This is a low # collectable and I'd like to keep it as original as possible. The Bill Lawrence will be melting your face if you've never used one before, over all it is a bright pickup with that crunchy tone that'll make you GRIN while you're chugging, I would definitely now buy this pickup stand alone to put in other guitars.

The controls are 2 Volume and 1 Tone with a 3 way switch. The 2 Volume are DBD traction knobs Dime was known for and the tone knob is smooth. You get a custom deluxe case with this one boys and girls! The case is wrapped in grey tolex with the Dean Wings logo at one end and the DIME logo on the other. Once you open this case, the black soft molded interior will put your mind to rest about the guitar sliding around in the case. Usual case candy (tags and catalog) and a COA signed by Vinnie Paul come with, you also get a set of allen wrenches to set your guitar up, lock it all up with the case keys for safe keeping.

I think we all know this is a metal guitar and so it fits that style. This isn't going to fit the image of a bluegrass, county style player, but you'd definitely stand out! I'm currently playing this through a Carvin MTS 3200 head with a 5150 slant cabinet; I'm also using a GSP 2101 w/ artist upgrade. Jacking the guitar straight to the head and my settings on the dials, it delivers that deep bass crunchy-punch while mixing with the bright tones of the X500XL gives me that old school thrash sound I love! Plug in the GSP2101 and the presets I have, the tones and styles are endless.

The guitar was not setup from the factory, the neck needed some under-bow and the action was high, also the pickups where all the way down. So once I completed the setup, it was ready to rock! Most guitar players have their own setup preferences, so I'm not docking too many pts for that. As I said above the neck pickup has not been adjusted due to the DIME config with the tape. I have other guitars so it's not that important or need to use item. The craftsmanship for the paint, graphic & hardware are as you would expect for a NEW instrument, flawless and beautiful.

I do not play live or gig, but yeah, if you bought one of these for the purpose of playing live it would handle the abuse of regular playing, the hardware is high quality components we all know Grover, Floyd Rose, Bill Lawrence, DMT, Dean Guitars. No slips with the buttons with a quality strap. If you want it to last you'll have to take care of it, just like anything else it requires maintenance. It is an ML body which is a little bigger than standard guitar bodies, so you'll need some room to move and play or you'll nix & chip the body.

I bought this for occasional play and to look at, it's a great match for my favorite music style. I've been playing on and off for more than 20 yrs now. I have a pretty good collection of gear just check out my profile (I still need to shrink and upload more images). I do not like the tress rod cover, it's the only part that comes off as ugly to me, but I can over look it. If the guitar was stolen I'd be pissed, but I would replace it if I could get another one. I did compare the neck on the Sledge to my Kelly XL Professional and like I said before they feel pretty close to me. I love the way this guitar looks, feels and sounds... it's well balanced while standing with hands free. Dean Guitars made a fine product overall and I am pleased with the guitar. I hope this review provides some insight and guidance toward your purchase of one of these fine axes.

bunnyh0pz
    I've never played one of these, but all these Dimebag signatures have some of the ugliest paintjobs I've ever seen. They're the perfect guitars for kids who haven't been playing long enough to know about tone but want guitars that look "badass".
    HardAttack
    You took the words right out of my mouth. These guitars are this generation's BC Rich Warlocks. Ugh...
    Ikillintel
    Yeah cause you're really nailing that tone with the 2 practice amps you have in your profile, talking shit about cheap guitars and you own 2 cheap guitars LOL, you're talking from your ass and so is your bunnyh0pz. Just one of my DIME axes cost more than both of yours together BWAHAHAHAHA! DIME haters. Oh and Limpbizkits is not metal ya poser. I also like how you didn't move from Burn the Priest to Lamb of God... the new band name must not have been evil enough for you huh... but puddle of mudd is sooooo heavy... fucouttahere dude lol broke ass punks!
    bunnyh0pz
    Thanks for the input dude. Do you have a Crazy Train cover recorded with your phone camera I can watch on youtube or something?
    Ikillintel
    Nope sure don't,but Crazy Train is a bad ass classic. You said "I've never played one of these, but all these Dimebag signatures have some of the ugliest paintjobs I've ever seen." and that's ok, I do not have a problem with that, that's your opinion. "They're the perfect guitars for kids who haven't been playing long enough to know about tone but want guitars that look "badass"." That is where you went wrong with your comment. So what components tell you it has no tone? If you'd read my review you would have seen I've been playing on and off for more than 20 yrs... I'm not some dumb kid and you're not going to BS me on the tone wood crap so lets talk "TONE" since you know so much. You can start with explaining how I'm a kid who has no idea about tone and why this instrument has less tone qualities than a similar spec'd guitar in the 0- 1,300.00 price rage. Go!
    bunnyh0pz
    I never said it had a bad tone. I said they have cheesy paint job that attracts the kind of unknowing kids that don't CARE about tone. The type of kids that just heard Cowboys from Hell for the first time and think playing fast and distorted is all there is to guitar. To be honest I don't know if this thing has a good tone or not, I didn't actually watch the video. I just know every time I HAVE heard someone playing this, aside from Dime, it was through a Line 6 Spider in Guitar Center. Most likely on the "Insane" setting.
    Ikillintel
    Well metal music is usually fast and distorted. My whole point is, my review has nothing to do with an individuals skill lvl of playing... my review is based on the instrument I purchased, my thoughts, likes and dislikes based on actual experience... not five minutes alone at Guitar Center on a Line6 Spider using the insane setting. So save that portion of your comment for the PIT not my review. Your opinion on the graphic is fine, you're entitled to your opinion as to the actual instrument. But like you said you've not played one and your only opinion is based on Brand, Series & appearance, not actually having played one and that really isn't fair to grade by. There are only 333 of these world wide... Guitar Center has not had many of these NEW. I'm looking right now and they only have 2 USED available Athens and Queens.
    pressureproject
    Nice. A ML shape with a 25.5 scale. Those short scales are what kept me away before. This is nice.
    HeidiCPascua
    I'm making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do. www.wallstreet34.com
    scott zoffel
    I have a sledge guitar #209 OF THE LIMITED 333. It has become one of my favorites. I have other deans an explorer and B.C.rich guitars and the article is right, its a metal axe! Im proud to own this guitar. Mine also needed a complete set up everything was out of adjustment.and for all you snot knockers talking out of the side of your neck ive been playing over 30 years and owned over 100 guitars its a nice guitar hater. and your mommy is calling you junior
    Anjohl
    Dean is just pumping these things out now. Anything made after the first 2-3 years of them are junk, particularly anything not Japanese/American built that was sold north of $600. Avoid.
    Ikillintel
    None of the DIME series are Japan made. They are manufactured in Korea and China with limited runs of USA and Korean. The China models are introductory instruments as is with most manufactures the China lines are cheap for beginners not looking to invest too much into a new hobby. The Korean made guitars are actually excellent quality instruments. The guitar in the review was only made for the 2012 year 333 pieces Korean made. A USA version was offered later and only 25 made world wide. Both the Korean and USA made are pretty much the same except for the bridge and binding. Korean $1,299.00 Floyd 1000 Bound Neck COA Vinnie Paul 333 made USA $3,599.00 OFR Hand painted (
    ) No neck binding COA Elliot Dean 25 pc made You're paying $2,300.00 more for hand painted and fewer made for the same guitar.
    mobidguitar
    Korean models are a step below Japanese, and a big step above the Indonesian builds. Korea has been producing guitars for 40-50 years, although they were the lowest end models in the beginning, times have changed. They are now considered medium-high end instruments.
    mobidguitar
    Ibanez are doing the same thing. The so called "premium" line of guitars are now pushing over $1000 for an Indonesian made guitar that would have been $399 5 years ago.