Dimebonics ML review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Dean: Dimebonics ML

Price paid: A$ 1990

Purchased from: guitar world

The sound out of the bridge pickup is average for what I play its not heavy enough and sounds a little tinny playing less heavier songs it comes out alrite it just doesn't seam to have enough depth. I'm playing it through a Engl Fireball 100W and 4/12 Engl standard cab.

It has its good points its now got less heavier strings on it and tuned to D just depends on what you want your sound to be, my other guitar is a Dimeslime 333 and its awesome tuned to B with 60-11 Ernie Balls with no problems and a sh-6 in the bridge. I wouldn't buy this guitar again for the price that I bought it. I love the artwork on it its bloody amazing sadly that does not mack it a better quality of guitar. After getting everything fixed it still has some on going problems but I do have a lotta fun on it.

All of the trouble aside I think it would withstand a live show however would most definitely have a backup. The hardware seems ok because it was made in America where as the guitar was not so its cheap shitty wood. The strap buttons seem average. The finish seems ok.

The guitar was set up averagely when I got it I had to have the action lowered. Here comes the fun part I put new strings on it 60-11 Ernie Balls and tuned it to D, as I did this the floyd rose ripped out of the guitar and on inspection of where the floyd rose ripped out I noticed the wood was crappy as it was like chipboard and that's why it ripped out. I took it bak and got it fixed for free(they put a mahogany brace in where the floyd rose screws into the guitar) because that should not have happened if the wood was mahogany like it said it was the guitar then got tuned to B, the whole underneath of the guitar is made out of that crap wood. The output jack was loose and still is had trouble switching pickups that has been fixed, the neck is good and the guitar is easily chipped.

I brought a Dimebonics a year a go its made in Korea. Neck scale 24-3/4, 22 jumbo frets. Laminated top supposed mahogany body (I'll get to that later), rosewood fretboard, with a floyd rose, SH-13 in bridge and a USA DMT Dime time pickup in the neck which I changed to a SH-4 its a 3 way volume and tone. Sounds all good there.

DanTheHobbit
    Can someone edit this so that the reviewer doesn't come across as an ignoramus?
    Air_Stryker
    DanTheHobbit
    My comment was directed at the people running the site, not a personal insult.
    Leather Sleeves
    DanTheHobbit wrote: Can someone edit this so that the reviewer doesn't come across as an ignoramus?
    Yeah, I'm careful enough with my spelling in comments and on forums, so it always surprises me to see people actually submit articles and reviews with obvious errors. Not that the review was bad.
    pokerhappy
    Well, that's what you get for buying a guitar trying to profit by throwing Dimebag in its name.
    Basti95
    Air_Stryker
    metalchris87 wrote: Damn that sucks but really what can you expect from a Korean made guitar? With that money you could of ordered a American made carvin guitar completely customized to everything you want.
    "What can you expect from a Korean made guitar?" Quite a lot when I compare my Korean built ESP EC-1000 to my US built Gibson Les Paul Studio. So far the Gibson was poorly set up when I first got it, the strings it arrived with were half rust, one of the tuning pegs was seriously loose, plus I've had issues with the pickup selector and the jack socket; both requiring me to take it to a shop to get it fixed. As for the ESP, it's been faultless so far, and I've had that for about twice as long. I can kind of understand why people feel a guitar built in the company's home country would be better, but in my personal experience, it's certainly not the case.
    Ich 666
    metalmagic_187
    DanTheHobbit wrote: metalmagic_187 wrote: yea sorry buddy first review and im not good with words so get over it My comment was directed at the people running the site, not a personal insult.
    sorry mate took it the wrong way lol
    metalmagic_187
    RequiemofDemons wrote: so they paid almost 2g for a shitty guitar? damn....
    yea it was a bit of a bummer lol make sure you see anything before you buy it especialy when it costs alot of money lol i just orderd it without seeing it never again. although i did the same with my dimeslime lol i'll never learn
    metalmagic_187
    yea sorry buddy first review and im not good with words so get over it
    metalmagic_187
    yea i didnt think it was a korean model cause it was 2g's but i got unlucky i guess. yea that woulda been sick customizing my own.
    _3nigma_
    These deans are in made in Korea, i work at a music store in NZ. I must say though when i tried it, it was really nice even for Korean. You may have been unfortunate to get a dud pretty confident you'll get help from dean, Meet the company reps before pretty helpful so worth a try? Btw the guitar retails in NZ for $1995 so seems about right? Same prices as Korea Razorbacks too
    metalmagic_187
    DeanRedneck wrote: call 'em up 800-793-5273. If you bought it from a Dean dealer tell them that you were told it was a USA. I hate to say it, but you got lied to and ended up with a sub-par instrument. Even a Korean made guit shouldn't have done that. I only have an old Dean, but I understand that their customer service is pretty good on new models. Even if it is a year old, there should be a paper trail if you bought it from a dealer
    cheers for the number mate yea i'll give em a call and see what they say its ashame cause of heard alota good things about dean but ill see what they say aye.
    metalmagic_187
    Ich 666 wrote: Yeah call them up, I dont think Dean would let that happen to anyone, FIGHT FOR YOUR AXE!
    hopefully they help me if not i mite have to start swinging my axe
    Harmonix Squeal
    Anyone have a washburn Dimebag stealth?? I cant seem to get the intonation right especially on the g string but it still shreds
    Ikillintel
    A few months ago I decided to buy one of the Dean Dimebonics models new from an online retailer . I received the guitar, got it out of thr box and case and she's pretty also lite weight compared to other ML's. First thing I did was to grab a harmonic and give her a pull... damn lucky I didn't take one in the face! The Floyd's mounting stud insert was coming up out of the body. I went ahead and broke the guitar down and pushed it back in leveled the Floyd and re-strung the guitar, as the strings came tight she was under a lot of tension and the mounting stud was coming back up and out from the pressure... no good. So I called the online retailer to warranty the guitar out, packed it up sent it back, about a week later got another one. This time the guitar had blem's and the nut was popping when you used the bar, called again... got another one, Blem'd and case damage. The retailer and I are at odds now and he's claimed he's lost his profit.. he pleads with me to accept the instrument and offers a $200.00 dollar discount, I accepted, day or so later while playing the guitar the nut starts popping! I was done, I contacted Dean Guitars and sent them a picture of my receipt and the guitar and explained everything including the discount for the blem'd model when it was supposed to be new. They gave me a new one, flawless and working like it should... haven't had a problem since. They will take care of you.
    metalmagic_187
    DeanRedneck wrote: metalmagic_187 wrote: Air_Stryker wrote: the floyd rose ripped out of the guitar and on inspection of where the floyd rose ripped out I noticed the wood was crappy as it was like chipboard Are you sure you haven't been ripped off with a sh*tty replica or something? I mean, Dean guitars aren't exactly flawless with build quality, but I've never heard of anything quite like that. O_O mate i could have been it says on the site they are made in america but the one i got was made in korea i was never told this till i got it off the guitar shopni brought i tfrom. im thinkig of gettting into contact with dean about it cause that shouldnt happen lol all i did was change the strings i did the same thing on my dimeslime and its all good. the american made deans mite be better quality but this one was crap As far as I know, Dean doesn't make any of the Dime model MLs in the US other than the Dean from Hell replica they put out shortly after his death. Sounds like the dealer lied to you and charged you US-made price for a Korean guitar. Even so, The Korean made Deans are usually pretty decent. Have you tried contacting Dean about this?
    nah i told the shop owners but they didnt seem to care to much and told me that i shouldnt have put that heavier gauge string on the guitar but the guitar tech said it shouldnt have happend so they probably dont know what there talking about. yes i did email dean but havent heard anything back i dont know what else i can do any suggestions??
    metalmagic_187
    Basti95 wrote: Damn i'm sorry you ended up with a lemon mate (protip: try to go easy on the "lol" it's just a little annoying tbh)
    cheers mate luck of the draw aye. yea to easy man i'll go easy on them
    metalmagic_187
    DeanRedneck wrote: I really hope you just screwed up on the price you posted. That's twice what they go for anywhere else
    i wish i stuffed up the price lol it set me bak 2g lol