Evo Tevo review by Dean

Dean: Evo Tevo

Purchased from: Craigslist

I'm currently playing this through a late 90's Peavey Bandit 112. This is the first guitar that I've owned which sounds good through the Bandit's onboard distortion. I also have a Jackson AT-3, RR3, and a few other electrics but they all sound super muddy through the Bandit's lead channel. I've used it through my MT2 pedal on the same settings as I use for the Jackson AT-3 and it sounds way too thin. This guitar as a TON of sustain and killer tone, the thru neck really makes a difference in how it resonates. That coupled with the solid Mahogany body and you've got a massive sounding axe for a budget price.

This guitar is a good match for what I'm playing. A lot of rhythm work with minimal effects so I'm relying a lot on my axe to give me tone. This is hands-down the best 'budget' line guitar that I've played (and most of my friends are cheapskates who own horrible manky guitars so I've played a LOT of budget axes).

I play this guitar a lot, would definitely feel comfortable gigging with it and using it on the road. I'm playing at least 4 hours a weekend at the moment plus practices during the week. The weekend stuff is all live performance either at church or with a garage band. The older models (like mine) may have some issues with the electronics (volume and tone pots) mine are a little dirty and will need to be cleaned or replaced soon. Not surprising as the guitar had just been sitting for a few years before I got it.

Here is the downfall of this particular unit. I took it in to my local luthier for a setup and repair work, he's got about 30 years experience in setting up and repairing electrics as well as acoustics. The threaded inserts that hold the bridge studs had worked loose and were backing out. He repaired that problem and set about working up a full setup of the guitar. He couldn't get the intonation to set right, partly because of the design of the bridge that comes stock on these guitars (it's a non-adjustable one piece wrap around) but even after dialing it in as best he could it was still off. He started looking into it further and found that the problem lay in the fact that the bridge was almost 1/8" off from the correct point by scale length which meant that he would not be able to set the intonation any better than we had. Currently the adjustment screws on each end of the bridge are screwed all the way in but the intonation still needs to come up a bit to be spot on. I may wind up getting a better bridge installed at some point. Dean has a warranty available but it only extends to the original purchaser so would most likely not cover this guitar even though it has a massive manufacturing defect.

Solid Honduran Mahogany body, thru neck, twin humbucker LP styled guitar with a single volume and tone and a 3 way selector switch.

pyrat615
    i run my evo tevo through a vox vt80 and a roland cube40... ive upgraded the bridge with fully adjustable wrap around... and it solved my intonation issues. 90$ pawn shop no dings looks new. total investment 105$ at present. now to upgrade tuners cause this piece of wood will sing! ...
    RockabillyComet
    I Love My Dean! Even though I also Love my other stuff, I would sell it for the right fair price for I'm not so attached to anything. But this Dean guitar, for what I paid for it / it's build and playability... it just wouldn't be right. Another way to put it, if I was Desperate for Money, and HAD to sell All my stuff, I would keep this Dean as my only guitar. I got mine for $76 bucks, Shipped, on Ebay. But there are a LOT of Great Deals on these Deans. If One could suggest one, I'd be enthusiastically impressed and thoroughly interested to see a guitar as good or better than this Dean, for the Money. I'll sell this thing and buy it. Ps. to the reviewer: the guitar is so inexpensive itself, that accessorizing and/or upgrading things is a pleasure. Get your bridge thing fixed with a new bridge, maybe some locking Grover tuners, graphite or roller Nut (if it doesn't have a graphite Nut already, I'm not sure). Things like that/similar... Simple inexpensive things, which will still leave you with a Great, but more improved, Inexpensive, Fun to Play, Guitar. Footnote: For the safety and security of my Dean, I changed my strap buttons to Planet Waves Elliptical End Pins (about $6 bux on amazon). The Planet Waves Locking Strap (about $9-11 bux ebay/amazon), nothing fancy, but Easy to Use and works Perfectly. Keep the Finish Pristine (better than New) with some really good furniture stain markers (too lazy right now to get up and see what mine are, one of those big name furniture polish makers) and some Old English for Dark Woods, works Awesome! You can't do that with Painted finishes. Even with the best matching touch up paints, you still end up with what looks like nail polish splotches. Thanks for the Intelligent, Informative, Review and For All Others who made interesting comments, Thanks Just the Same! Enjoy Everything!
    salsawords
    First of all, this is set neck construction, not neck thru. You've been lied to. Seems like you gave it too high a rating as well, especially if it can't even intonate and the hardware is failing. Otherwise it seems like a decent starter guitar.