EVO XM review by Dean

Dean: EVO XM

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I mostly play metal, hard rock, or classic rock. I use this through my Berhinger V-Tone 15w analog amp. I use my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, which makes it sound very nice. I use the guitar isolated on the bridge pickup with the tone knob completely turned counterclockwise. I find that through my setup, the bridge pickup with a completely clockwise turned tone knob gives too much noice. The guitar can make wonderful harmonics and squeals, and my friend put it to use when he begged me to let him play it during his hardcore band's show one night.

Considering Dean's are made for rock and other variations of such, this guitars goes with me like PB&J. I'm 100% positive if something were to happen to this guitar, I would buy a replacement. I love that its such a great guitar for very little price. Its the perfect 'cheap guitar'.

I'm convinced I could drop this guitar off my house and it would be fine. It's like a wooden tank with strings.

The guitar came pretty well setup, had no real problems. The only problems I do have are the loose tuners, and the low E gives a slight buzz from time to time, so I'll check on that. The action is really high, and allows me for fast playing which is good when I'm playing songs like 'Angel Of Death' or something similar.

The guitar is a solid-top Les Paul-ish cutaway with a basswood body and a bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard with 2 frets. It has a stop tailpiece bridge which runs strings over dual passive factory humbuckers, which work through a single volume and tone knob with a 3-way selector switch. The tuners are factory, and tend to come loose, particularly the D and A strings with mine.