EVO XM review by Dean

Dean: EVO XM

Purchased from: Sam Goody

It sounds good for about everything I've played on it (everything from the Misfits to Ozzy). The factory strings are a little weak but I put a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys on it and that brought out the lows and highs nicely. I am using a weak little Wal-Mart amp (Christmas present) and a Bad Dog Distortion Pedal. They work well with the guitar. I get nice harmonics and tapping due to the thin neck and the fact that the strings are closer to the neck. There is a slight buzz on the lower strings but that is generally caused by lose tuners which are easily tightened. On the bridge pick-up you can get a very deep and very high, very metal sounds but using the neck pickup and the middle selection it works better with chords which it blends nicely together.

I play al lot of punk and now I've reached an Ozzy phase and it has worked nicely for both. I've been playing fo about a year and a half. I don't owm much more but I think I'm going to pick myslef up an Ibanez RG Tremelo. If it was stolen and I was low on money I would buy a new on because it is a solid and versatile for the money I payed. Otherwise I would go for something a bit more upscale if I had the funds. I love the differences in the music you can play with it. I don't really hate anything about there are a few little things that are annoying but besides that nothing. I compared it to a Squier my brother owns and I chose this one because it felt more solid in my hands not chincy like the Squier. Also, I prefer the humbuckers over the single coils.

This guitar is solid it has been hit with doors fallen, onto floors, and been repeatedly abused by friends Who think are cool by trying to play without a strap. So far all of the hardware is solid. The knobs are on well and the tuners still work fine. I can depend on it. I've used for a long while with no other guitar. Even though I haven't gigged I don't believe I would need a backup due to the guitars durablility so far. This finish is wearing very well except for a few knicks and scratches from the drops and such.

It was severely out of tune but I assume this due to the fact that the guitar was in the box for awhile. My bridge pickup mount was cracked but was easily fixed with some glue. Besides that the guitar came in very good shape. After I got the guitar tuned I discovered that the Standard Dean strings were a bit weak and they didn't hold there sustain after about 3 months. But a new pair of D'Ardios helped but Imprefer the Regular Slinkys that Ernie Ball puts out. They really wake up the guitar.

I bought it at Christmas of 2005. I'm not quite aure when it was made but that was when I bought it. It has 22 frets they're all pretty easy to get to due to the shape of body, which is similar to a Les Paul. It is a mahogany color varnish with black hardware. Tun-O-Matic bridge. The guitar has two knobs, one volume and one tone. It has a three way selection Switch. Has two standard Dean humbucker pickups. The bridge is good for soloing and the neck is good for chords. It has your Standard tuners. The guitar falls out of tune easy. I bought it by itself because I already had the other stuff but it can be bought with accessories.