EVO XM review by Dean

Dean: EVO XM

This being a cheep guitar I wasn't goning to spend $125 on a set of Duncans so I got a set of GFS FatPat pickups. They sound great and are coil split through both the vol and tone pots(push/pull). I can get just about any sound I want out of them, warm cleans or heavy distortion and they are still very articulate. The single coils are pretty good, but you loose a little umpf. A great set of pickups for $66!!

I realy like this guitar now. As it came I would have never even tried one. But after I reworked it it has turned in to a nice guitar. Most people can't belive the finish or sound untill I tell them I modded the hell out of it. If it were stolen I'd get mad then get over it. It's cool cause I redid it, and only spent $200 in parts and finishing suplies. Yes it's a Dean, but now it's a sick sounding Dean.

I wouldn't think twice to play this out live. All the hardware is very solid and should lst for years to come. I use strap locks so I never have anny worries there. I would use this with out a back up. I think the finish should last, but only time will tell.

I have dressed the frets and set the intonation, neck relif and action. This guitar plays and sound way better than I could have hoped for. I pot all the parts and electonics on this from Guitarfetish.com( great company for good cheap parts). I painted it with some ReRanch Nitro spray cans and the finish is amazing.

I don't know what year this is maybe a '06 made in Korea? 22 fret wide thin kind of profile made out of 2 piece maple bolt on. The body is bass wood with a thin mahogany vineer on the top and back of the body. The finish was a crappy transparent sticker thing!!! 2 humbuckers, 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. Les Paul style body. The one I have did not work when I got it. I got this as a project guitar and it it pretty god to mod if you can get it for the right price. So this review is based on the mods that have been done.

RockabillyComet
    I Love My Dean! Even though I also Love my other stuff, I would sell it for the right fair price for I'm not so attached to anything. But this Dean guitar, for what I paid for it / it's build and playability... it just wouldn't be right. Another way to put it, if I was Desperate for Money, and HAD to sell All my stuff, I would keep this Dean as my only guitar. I got mine for 76 bucks, shipped, on Ebay. But there are a LOT of Great Deals on these Deans. If One could suggest one, I'd be enthusiastically impressed and thoroughly interested to see a guitar as good or better than this Dean, for the Money. I'll sell this thing and buy it. Thanks for the Intelligent, Informative, Review and For All Others who made interesting comments, Thanks Just the Same! Enjoy Everything! As a Reply of sorts to the original review: I changed my strap buttons to Planet Waves Elliptical End Pins about $6 bux on amazon). The Planet Waves Locking Strap (about $9-11 bux ebay/amazon), nothing fancy, but easy to use and works great. Keep the Finish Pristine (better than New) with some really good furniture stain markers (too lazy right now to get up and see what mine are, one of those big name furniture polish makers)and some Old English for Dark Woods, works Awesome! You can't do that with Painted finishes. Even with the best matching touch up paints, you still end up with what looks like nail polish splotches. Thanks for the Intelligent, Concise, and Very Informative Review. Bravo!
    GodxEatxGod
    Its a cheap guitar,dont hate on it for just a $120 guitar. its atleast decent for the price.dont compare this to a $700 dime. you get what you pay for, and you pay for below $200 guitar. Dont exspect much
    RaisingCain199
    This guitar may not be mind blowing by any stretch of the imagination, but it plays fairly solid, and in the price range, is as good as it gets. I would much rather have this dean than a POS First Act guitar. BTW, Dean Vendettas RULE!!
    marge.shotmeyer
    oh come on.theres so many $99-129 guitars out there.why has no one mentioned that the BOLT-ON neck has a scarf joint.a two piece bolt on.your friggin kidding right.they say its patented tech.its just cheap crap.i have this in my house to fix for a friend.that joint wasnt sanded at all.its so uneven you could get splinters.and the electronics are so cheap inside,its a joke.plastic tuners! dont buy this.get an epi,or a esp ltd viper,or anything else.this thing is a toy.its a shame people get fooled and start playin guitar on these things.