Firecrackle review by Dean

Dean: Firecrackle

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I play it through a Line 6 Spider 30 and sometimes my Line 6 Spider 15. It sounds real good through these amps like they were made for each other. I play metal and this guitar can really nail it down. I tuned the guitar in drop tunings like C, D and even down to A without any sound problems. The guitar can get real loud and the tone knob will go too a really bright sound to a far beyond driven sound from hell. The stock pickups sound great but I am really thinking of putting some EMGs in there. If not I might put in some Bill Lawrence pickups. This guitar can handle blues music as well as a classic rockish sound like Van Halen or Kiss. I played Running with the devil on it and it couldn't sound better. If I were a beginner I would get this guitar. Its perfect for any level of guitar playing.

I play metal and they match like twins. This guitar will be suitable for any genre. Maybe not country... But I don't play that stuff. I compared it to my Jackson King V and I really did not stand a chance to this Dean Firecrackle. If it were lost I would try to find it because the guitar is rare. If not I would get a Dean ML with a floyd rose. I love everything about it. The only thing I hate about it is that the guitar is adddicting and I can't put it down (hehe). I compared it to my Ibanez GIO and the GIO failed to compete.

This guitar can withstand live playing and the hardware has lasted since the 80s so I'm sure it will last alot longer. As I said the strap button neede to be tightend but that was easily solved. I would use it without a back up but my band uses two different tunings so I would usually have another guitar in the back in case I need it. The finish looks like it will never come off. But if you don't take care of it it will. This guitar will be my main axe for shows especially since I'm getting emgs for it. I might also get a floyd rose along the way.

The action was at a perfect height, whoever owned it before was good at setting it up. The pickups are at an comfortable height but you can't take the pickup to a low level because the adjustment screw is a little on the small side but it holds the pick up very well. The finish is a white and black firecrackle finish and it will bring many wows. The only problem was that the strap button was loose but that was fixed right away. Also the ground wire needed some soldering which was not a very big problem which I fixed.

It's a 1980s Dean Firecrackle with two single coil pickups and a humbucker. All 3 pickups sound good for stock pickups and I mostly use the bridge pickup. In my 16 years of playing I have to say this guitar works like a charm. It has a basswood body with 22 frets (Jumbo) with a string thru whammy bridge. The guitar has grover tuners on it and it seems to hold in tune well. I went a whole month without having to tune it! The guitar was made in Korea in the late 80s. I got the guitar with a gig bag and a cable with a nice whammy bar even though I don't use them much unless its a floyd rose. One pickup (bridge) was buzzing when I got it but I ended up fixing the grounded wire and there was no more buzz.

EpiExplorer
    Andragon
    MAGGOTCFH wrote: Just to tell you guys i do have a Marshall stack, for those guys who want to rip on my amps.
    Well why don't you mention what it sounds like through the Marshall instead of the pointless Spider impression?
    HardAttack
    RetroGunslinger
    MAGGOTCFH
    Because a lot of young metalheads use line 6 so im showing them the impression on hopw it would sound like on them. And for the record it sounds amazing on the marshall stack.
    jtallen0496
    MAGGOTCFH wrote: MAGGOTCFH wrote: HardAttack wrote: I'll never understand why so many people have such an undying passion for hatred of any Line 6 product. My Spider II 112 amp certainly isn't the best piece of gear on the market, but I enjoy it very much as I am indeed a bedroom player, and I'd much rather bring that to a fellow guitar-players house for practice with a friend than any half stack I've used. Even experienced players use them as practice amps for the same reason. I agree, most people probablly played the cheap ones or they have heard someone else say it sucks so they just agree and dont make opinons on their own I also agree about the expreinced players using them as practice amps. Ive seen people who been playing for 30 years. using line 6 just to play/write something on..
    My G-DEC kills everybody's amp
    fattychronic
    Its not about whether a line6 spider sounds good or not, its the fact that it will not show the tonal qualities of the guitar.
    LeakyFlask
    EpiExplorer wrote: RetroGunslinger wrote: Someone is gonna say it so I may aswell. You cannot judge the guitar's tone through a line 6 spider. Also im not sure I believe you've been playing for 16 years yet you use a spider Unless its a Spider Valve. But I do agree, 16 years and a Spider? You CAN do better.
    I guess he could have had better gear in the past but is now more of a bedroom player. Doesn't really make sense that you'd be satisfied with a spider though.
    MidgetJustice
    I got a line 6 150 watt and I would say it's a good amp, not Marshall quality but it's pretty good.
    Semperfidelis23
    i have played a line 6 pure valve 212, and i was not impressed. while it was better than the 15, 20, 75, etc, it was not better than my peavey vypyr 15. thats sad, considering it was 6x the price. im not saying the peavey vypyr is the best amp ever, but it is, imho, the best bedroom practice amp.