HardTail review by Dean

Dean: HardTail

Price paid: A$ 12000

Purchased from: Royce Music House

My music style generally jumps from a Jazz Rock sound to a rather Heavy Metal style, and this guitar keeps up without tinkering, unlike any of my others. Kept with it's stock pickups, I only ever receive feedback when I really crank up my amp. The splitable coils provide a lot of versatility when in clean, but when you go to a high gain distortion, you need the bridge pickup to really pull the balls into line.

Playing this guitar for Metal, Jazz, Blues, Rock, or anything, it never misses a beat. I often look at my collection, an Explorer, a V, a Rhoads, Les Paul, a PRS, and a few others, and wonder why I bought them when I have such a magnificent instrument like this Hardtail. I can't think of anything I'd rather own...maybe a 7-string version, but that might change it's playability...nah, I'll stick with this one. If you ever see one of these in a store, pick it up and play it, you'll be impressed.

If I play this thing for 30 years, on stage, with heavy duty lighting, it might begin to waver, but I would expect that from any guitar. For $1200, you won't find a more sturdy guitar.

When I first picked it up, I was a little concerned about the top horn, as I was used to playing things like my Rhoads and my Explorer. Needless to say, that concern went away as soon as I touched it. Everything was set up just the way I like it, and I've not modified a single thing since then.

Not sure what year it was made, but this Korean guitar kicks similarly priced guitars in the balls and makes them beg for mercy. Loaded with 22 Frets, a beautiful red finish, split coil pickups, and probably the most comfortable neck in the world, I have never been more impressed by the sound, look or feel of another guitar. This version is the HardTail Select Trem, with non-locking tuning.

pinballer
    I have a 97 tiger eye and am very impressed with the build quality and finish. It has one of the nicest rosewood fret boards that I have played with a very close grain.