MAB1 Armored Flame review by Dean

Dean: MAB1 Armored Flame

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: My Guitar Teacher

My music style varies from heavy rock to heavy metal. It suits it perfectly:D. I'm using a Fender FM65 with a Zoom G2.1U multi-effects pedal. It is not noisy at all. The neck pickup gives high output with some full mellow tones. The middle pickup gives really good clean sounds. The bridge pickup has very high output and can produce some nice metal tones. It is suitable for styles from rock to the heaviest styles of metal.

I mainly play things from AC/DC to Metallica. I'm playing for almostly 2.5 years now. I also do own a Fender Koa Strat. Zoom G2.1U and a Fender FM65 amp. If it would been stolen I would murder the guy Who did it:P. I especially like the EMG's. I don't hate anything about the guitar. I compared it to an Ibanez s 5470. But this one was much much better.

It will definitely withstand Live playing. The hardware will last forever. The strap buttons are a little bit small, so straplocks will help. MAB uses it troughout his Europe tour so I think I can really depend on it. The finish will not wear off. Trust me.

I got it via my guitar teacher and he setted up the guitar. He told me that the action wasn't very high nor very low. The OFR was setted up really poorly. The pickups weren't adjusted very bad. The neck wasn't really straight set up from the factory. I had no flaws on the guitar when I got it. When he finished setting it up it was really perfectly.

It was made in 2008. It was made in Korea. 24 frets. 25-1/2" scale. Nice thin neck. It's very fast. The guitar has got jumbos on it. It has a solid top. The body and neck are made from Alder. It's got a custom "ArmorFlame" graphic. The body style is almost like a Strat. It has got a deeper cutaway for reaching the 24 fret. The tremolo is an origal Floyd Rose. Active EMG pickups. It has got a volume and a tone knob. 5 way Switch. The pickup config is HSH. EMG 85 (neck), EMG SA(middle), EMG 81(bridge). The tuners are Grover tuners, non locking. It came with the original Dean case. It came with all the tools you need to adjust everything on the guitar.

raddy_666
    hey i am planning to buy this guitar too = D can you please help me out because i will be ordering it and can't check it out for myself. = ( there is only one little fact i want to know that it what it the fret height on the first fret ??? i mean when i saw the picture the first 5 frets look sorta small = \ and i have a medium large hand so i just needed to know whats the height and length of the first fret. thanx alot you can email me on heartofmayhem@hotmail.com
    Jabman
    I have the feeling that the reason the score is kinda low is because the company and player. That's sad and pethetic.
    frucci3277
    I purchased this guitar in August. It was one of 3 signed by MAB during a clinic stop in KC. Played it head to head with a Jackson SL3 and a Schecter Sunset FR. All 3 instruments were comparable, but the MAB sounded the best. I fear in time I'll get bored with the graphic, but it's cool for now. The shape of the guitar is excellent and the bevel is muck like the Petrucci Music Man. Out of the box set-up is irrelevant to me, as I always tear them down and set them up the way I like anyway. Been playing it 7 months and the only issue's I've had are: 1. Bit of junk of the frets out of the box. Easily cleaned up with acetone. 2. Within the last week, the 4th fret on the bass side has "popped" up a bit, creating a bit of excessive buzz. The shop I purchased from is going to re-dress the frets. No complaints other than that. The only thing that stinks a bit it is that I paid $1400 for a Jem VWH in 1997 and $1100 for a JS1000 BP - both quality Japanese guitars. The quality of this guitar is good but not as good as the older Japanese Ibanez models...Goes to show you what $1200 get's you nowadays.
    HolyReaper
    I have a question though, hows the sustain on this guitar? email me at ryukin888@hotmail.com if you know, thanks.