Michael Schenker Standard review by Dean

Dean: Michael Schenker Standard

Purchased from: imuso.co.uk

I play metal and some rock, and this guitar suits me down to the ground. After I changed the pickups this guitar really sounds amazing. I had previously owned a Squier 51 which was more suited to funk, and so I use that for funk and the Dean for everything else. I'm using it with a Peavey Bandit 112 and the cleans are incredible. Also the neck pickup is so good for solos like the four horsemen etc and I think the EMGs/Basswood body work together really nicely. It can do most any style as I have dabbled in Indie etc and it does them well, however it is an out and out metal guitar.

I really like this guitar and it suits my music perfectly. I've been playing seriously for about 4 years and have had a Squier. I wish I had asked about what playing with a painted neck would be like as I wasn't sure whether it would be harder/easier than the Squiers bare wood but as it turns out I find it more comfortable once I was used to it. If the guitar was stolen I'd track the guy down and beat him to death with it and then go and use it on stage no problem. It has very easy high fret access which I like and the scale length suits me. I compared it to a few other entry levels such as Epiphone Les Pauls etc but this won out as I think the paint job makes it stand out from the crowd. If I was going to buy this I would seriously consider upgrading the pickups as I go for Zakk Wylde style pinches and only EMGs can do them well.

I have used it Live and it was really great and I would definitely use it without a backup. It's a solid guitar and the hardware is very tough and durable. The strap buttons keep the strap on well enough for most people however if you are going to try Yngwie-style 360 degree guitar orbits over the shoulder then you should probably look for some straplocks. The finish seems a little flaky, I have had some dings in the finish but nothign serious and it's not really noticeable, and for this price it is good.

After I received it it had a bizarre wiring problem where the tone control would sound like it was fading out but nobody was turning the knob. However when I changed the pickups I replaced the entire wiring set up on the guitar so it got rid of that. There were a few tiny cosmetic flaws i.e. one of the inlays is cracked and the logo doesn't quite match on either side of the black/white but they are unnoticable unless poitned out. The pickups were adjusted fine for me when I got them and the action was fine as well, I haven't adjusted it since.

My Michael Schenker Standard was made in China, don't know what year. 22 jumbo frets, Basswood body, V shape with a string-thru body bridge. It originally came with Standard Dean passive pickups however I changed these to active EMGs (81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck). It has 2 volume controls, 1 tone and a 3 way selector Switch. Grover tuners, and it came with a guitar cable, allen keys and a pick.

Crack67
    There is one at my local pawn shop.I could pick it up for around 150. You guys talked me out of it. The guitar sounds like a true Piece of sh**. Nothing more than a decoration for MS fans. Then it sounds like it will turn yellow. Shame MS has to put his name on a dean these days. I guess we all have to make a living.Thanks for the comments and reviews! saved me some change.
    herrstein666
    i putt duncans in my v and it sound really heavy with .013 0.56 set of strings then drop d putt it on my peavy vypyr 120 head and 2 peavey cabinets with a lot of distortion hell yeah this sounds really good i love this guitar and for that price
    FantaMS
    I have this guitar and it's damn good, I play in along with a Gibson SG Voodoo and an Epiphone Les Paul custom, and I can't decide which has the best sound. I am about to install the pickups you have put on the Zack Wylde set, so overall I that will push it up to be my favourite. It's a bitch to try and play sitting down though.
    GunLeatherGuy
    Just a note....I want to love this guitar...Schenker is a long standing GOD in my eyes. Has been for around 25 years. Heres a secret guys....it you get a really snazzy guitar that you have to spend the same amount of money on replacing the entire electronics as the guitar cost to begin with....you could have got a much better guitar and then not screwed with it. God bless
    kiwi_metal
    I am a huge fan of Schenker but overall this guitar is a bit of a let down quality-wise in my opinion. The good points are; i own a Micheal Schenker signature guitar now ha ha, it has a nice straight true neck. The bad points are; i cannot lower the action much further via the bridge 'crossover' as it doesn't wind down far enough, the white paint is now almost a cream 'off-white' colour, i had to replace the lead plug socket - when i removed the faulty factory item i found the cavity behind it full of paint and wood dust, the paint on the body adjacent to the neck began cracking almost immediately... The guitar has had very little use and is more for display purposes now, i'd rather play my Ibanez body EKO necked mongrel...
    UraniYum
    I love the neck on this. Maybe it's just mine, but it's one of the easiest guitars i've ever played. I got mine dirt cheap too, under 200. One day i might switch out the electrics, make it a serious axe. The finish is goddamn terrible, but it's pretty while it lasts.
    Priestfeast
    This guitar is great for me I've only been playing two years and it has that perfect hard rock, classic metal balance I was trying to find. I've got used to sitting down with it but I usually 90% of the time play standing up. I've got a slight problem I've noticed recently you can hardly tell though, there is a slight patch of brighter white on the white side but it isn't that noticable.
    deadlydictator
    inspir3 wrote: Anyone with me here when he mentions his ESP Explorer having lesser sound quality than this low end Dean? I didn't know ESP made Gibson style explorers anymore... at least not since the early 90's... If you actually own a genuine ESP EX series I'm sure the EMG's or Seymours in it would belt some low end Dean stock pickups... I'm not convinced your the real deal. So I'm basically going to dismiss your review as a fibbing beginner owning a basic guitar and trying to talk it up... No offense, but prove me wrong.
    i have an esp ltd exp200 explorer (the one they got sued over) with seymour duncans. and i have this guitar. the ltd owns this muzza fuzza. its good for practice and to look cool but the wiring is terrible.
    jjram33
    Ive got the MS korea custom and it sounds great. no real issues exept the white turning yellow. Also have the MS flames korea. same as above but better pickups. My Favorite for sure.