ML 79 review by Dean

Dean: ML 79

Purchased from: Singapore

Before buying this baby I heard a lot of bad comments about the Dean stock pickups but when I tested it in the shop through a crappy 15 watt Marshall it sounded awesome, and I daresay better than my ESP LTD EX-50 which has EMGs on it. I'm mainly a metal player, my main influences being Arch Enemy, Trivium, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Mega deth and vice versa thrash bands, and I say it suit's my style perfectly. When using it with a Maxon OD808 through a Vox DA5 it gave me really warm and rich Vintage tones that mahogany instruments are capable of. This guitar is better for players looking for an "older", '80s metal sound, like thrash or classic metal so if you play stuff like Dimmu Borgir or cannibal corpse don't buy this guitar.

I have been playing for only two years and I also own an LTD EX-50 and I used to have a crappy Squier Strat which I happily sold. I had been eyeing this product for at least 6 months before buying it and I'm really satisfied. If it were stolen or lost I'll find that motherf--ker who stole it and shove the pointy headstock up his pussy arse, or if I can't I'll buy a Jackson RR3 cause that was the other guitar I was considering but didn't buy it cause they were either too hard or too expensive here in singapore. The moment I strapped it on I felt like an instant rock god. I suggest all readers check out this amazing guitar now!

Hell yeah, I used it for a gig in school and won a battle of the bands competition. I didn't even need a backup. The finish is great but it gets dirty easily so if you buy it keep a polishing cloth handy. Like I said before the hardware was slightly rusty, but I'm sure it'll last a long time.

When buying the guitar the shop's technician helped me set up the guitar for free, and adjusted everything, from the truss rod to the floyd to the pickups. The hardware was slightly rusty, but it wasn't really obvious. Material-wise the guitar was of top quality, and furthermore since this guitar was made in korea instead of china the wood felt better cause usually if you buy chinese products the frigging chinks rip you off in terms of quality when they try to save costs (I'm qualified to say that cause I'm half chink). The guitar was 99% flawless, 1% for the rust. Btw I felt the trem was a bit shoddy cause it occasionally went out of tune so I'm gonna buy an original floyd when I get enough moolah, and change the pickups to Seymour Duncan blackouts.

Anjohl
    I don't want to get into a music discussion, but I ama 27 year old metalhead who has been listening to metal likely longer than some of you have been alive, and I really dug "Trivium's" most recent album, when he dropped that trendy "metalcore" screamo trash vocal style. Sure, he does a mean Hetfield impersonation, but so does the singer from Paradise Lost, and noone razzes him. Trivium's newest album is great, I would buy it for my kid anyday. I wold also beam with pride to hear him playing "Entrance of the Conflagration"! Duet time@!
    DimeDarrell666
    the license FR on this guitar sucks... it looks as if it was built and assembled by a three year old chinese kid even the FR on my 250$ peavey is better
    Jimbo1990
    I got one in Blue burst with two dimarzio super distortions and i use it for gigs. so it wins my vote
    Cartilage
    anyone know whether you can get the blue burst one with a floyd? i've been looking at deans on t'internet for a while now and haven't seen one unfortunately
    ZaÐ
    Hanger 17 wrote: Should i Buy one of these over an ESP?
    Well,u have to consider that to get a great ESP guitar,u should target on the "400" series(and 400 series in quite expensive),or at least a 250 but changing PU with some EMGs or Duncans...so one o the best guitars u can buy at this price is surely a dean ml...
    BowToMe
    i recently had a Dean 79MLF(floyd version) it looked so nice it sounded so nice BUT the floyd sucks so much ass!!! im looking too buy this guitar in the same braziliaburst WITHOUT floyd rose
    PopPunkPotHead
    I traded My Drums and an Ibanez RG for one. It's like the les paul of metal. I do miss my silver RG (even though I had 2). I found that I've found amazing guitars in Dean an Schecter recently. My passion for RG's slowly fades....
    Xdearxxdiaryx
    floyd on this guitar is awful. it does not stay in tune what so ever if your looking for a floyd equipped guitar out of the box look elsewhere but if you have the money to get an OFR then this guitar is for you it sounds and play great the pickups are actually pretty good on this guitar. if this guitar had a fixed bridge id give it like a 9/.10 but due to the floyd limiting what you can play i give it a 5/10.