ML 79 review by Dean

Dean: ML 79

Purchased from: Local music Store

I play Blues, to classic rock to heavy metal and everything in between. Ussually this amp is geared heavily torwards heavy metal, But I play everything else on it just fine, after all this guitar model is over 30 years old, and there were plenty of artists Who used this guitar that didn't play straight heavy metal. I play this amp through a Line 6 Spider II, I'm sure a lot of you will instantly disregard this now for mentioning the Line 6 amp, but I have mastered my amplifier and it's sounds, and you can read my own review of it in the amp section. But I digress, Because of the wide variety of sounds I can get from my amp, this guitar compliments it very well. The pick ups are very very good for stock and produce a good amount of top end instead of bassy mush. Though I may or may not upgrade to Dimarzios and Duncans in the future, I am thouroughly impressed. Very thick and crunchy for rock, just the way I like. As I said before too, this guitar is string through body which means butt load of sustain. Flip the the neck pick up and you can sound like Slash for days. Somebody below mentioned this guitar is the Les Paul of heavy metal, and I agree with them. There is nothing thin at all about this guitar, espescially in terms of sound. Overall it is a versatile guitar in terms of sound, the mahogany body compliments the pick up and tail peice very well, I will give this another solid 9, because one nothing is perfect, yet this comes close.

Bottom line is, I turned down a Gibson Explorer to buy this guitar when I saw it. I've been playing for about five years now and grew up mostly on strats. For my music this guitar was a great match, though il admit at gigs I get nervous at peoples reactions to this guitar because it obviously makes a statement, but people just seem to love it's color size and the way it suits me since I'm a big guy too. 6 foot six, this is the only guitar that is proportioned to my size. Granted this is my first and probably last Dean(I'm more of an ESP guy now), I'm glad I made the decision I did to go with something a little different than I was ultimately used to or what I was originally going to buy. I will say this, this isnt a guitar that is suited for everyone. It is big, bukly, and heavy, and the neck is a little less forgiving for smaller hands. Like I said, this guitar was a match made in heaven for me. So I urge you, if you are interested in this guitar, make sure you play it long and hard before you shell out the money for it, other wise Rock on!

I've gigged this guitar plenty of times without a back up. I know I know, shame on me. But like I said, this guitar is plenty solid. I have hit the wings and headstock because of it's sheer size many times, though everything has held up. I must say, the Oriental guitars are very good qaulity these days, and I have no problem saving myself loads of cash for an eqaul good sounding and playing instrument.

Right out of the factory this guitar came ready to play. The action was a tad higher than how I ussually play, but I always have my guitare reset up by my favorite tech in town. The pickups were fine, everything seems solid, nothing loose or mish mash together. I do wish the tuners were a tad more stronger for staying in tune, but I do plan on upgrading those for sure.

I bought this guitar for a little over 700 dollars with the case, Brand New. I gotta say, after owning this guitar for a year and a half now I think it was well worth it. Made In Korea, This ML79 is the special edition blueburst with the block inlays. Absolutely stunning, Two Dean zebra pickups, Tuneomatic bridge, all mahogany body and string through body for sustain sustain and more sustain. If you are a Dean fan than you know what a ML is, pure rock and roll. A cross between the Flying V and Explorer, sorta getting the best of both worlds. The tuners are non locking, which I plan to upgrade soon to sperzels, but other than that it's great.

jeordie1
    did that last review say he plays Arch Enemy, Trivium, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth through a Vox DA5?! WTF!?
    Pingis_Or_Death
    I have this guitar without a floyd and it kicks ass. Some guy mentioned that the pickups aren't high output, but that ain't true. I can play Nile with them no prob and they sound almost as gainy as my other guitar's EMGs.
    mr. ...
    chris55watt wrote: is this guitar top heavy? is the neck heavier than the body
    nah its balanced perfectly. just got one. classic black. my new favorite guitar
    ibanezdude95
    hey, im looking to buy a new guitar, should i buy the dean but without the floyd or a bc rich mockingbird special?
    JHC_DOH
    You guys think it would be worth putting a nice floyd on this guitar? Maybe a Gotoh, or a ping?
    Lucd
    why do all these ****tard reviewers always put shit like "id problably use it without a backup" if they new anything at all the point of a backup is if a string breaks or something, not the guitar falling apart, and if thats the case the guitar is probably a walmart special!
    Draekon
    why do none of these reviews mention the flamed maple top that i have on my '79 MLF?
    rrlegend
    in australia they dint sell dean guitars so i made one with a lp neck and dimebucker. one year latter i find one half the price of the one i made mine sounds better tho
    Mortal_Punk666
    Could I fit a floyd rose on one of these? The one I'm looking at doesn't even have a tremelo. Thanks.
    Metallon
    I just tried this guitar - the string-through body version, without the FR bridge - though both an Ibanez TBX-65R and a Peavey Rage 258. In both cases, I cas surprised by the attack and power this guitar had. It had a nice ballsy sound, like a Les Paul, but brighter and not quite as fat. The distortion was fabulous, even from these solid state amps. I'm actually considering buying one, the only thing I'm worried about is that Dean seems to have issues with quality control. Whoever says the G-string goes out of tune something, you should get your guitar setup. This guitar comes with Grover tuners. I'd love to try this baby through a JCM 800, JCM 2000, 6505, or a Rectifier...