ML X review by Dean

Dean: ML X

Purchased from: Skips Music

I play mainly heavy metal so I down tune a lot, often to drop B or Standard B. The neck on my particular guitar is very forgiving, it doesn't require adjustments when I tune back and forth between B, C, D and standard. Which is a life saver if you don't have the money for a guitar for every tuning. The pickups don't have too good of a clean sound by themselves, but add a chorus or flange and it is crystal clear. But most metal heads like me never touch the clean setting on an amp, lol.

I've been playing for about 6 years now, so I'm no expert yet, but this guitar will out live me. I recently bought a Schecter Omen 7 string to expand my sound and I still like down tuning my Dean better. If you have ever considered buying it, or not BUY IT! It is very well rounded, don't let the shape fool you, it can play ANYTHING.

I have dropped this guitar on several occasions, once on one of the forks of the v, but nothing snapped and everything stayed where it should've. Unless you intentionally bash it against something with destruction in mind, it will stand up to anything. The stock strap buttons were good but I switched them out for Dunlop strap locks. The only issue there is that I had to modify a neck screw to fit the strap locks.

This guitar had actually sat on the music store wall for ever so the factory settings go out the window, but it still sounded good. I've owned it for about a year and I have had no problems since I bought it. Even with the low adjustability of the tune-o-matic, the guitar seems to stay buzz free and performs great with out intonation.

My Dean is Made in China, is the ML style body, which is great because you get the awesome looks of a Flying V and the comfort of an explorer. There is a 24 3/4' scale, a solid basswood body and a maple neck with 22 frets. Mine has a metallic white finish with matching head stock and all black hardware. Has a basic string through tail with a tune-o-matic bridge and Standard Dean passive pickups. Surprisingly enough, the Standard pickups are better than any basic pickups on a guitar of this price that I've ever played. Nothing real special about the set up, very basic, but certainly gets the job done.