ML XF review by Dean

Dean: ML XF

Purchased from: ebay

This guitar suits my style pretty well. It has pretty good sound for metal music. If it had EMGs, it would be amazing! I have it through a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah, DigiTech Whammy, and a BBE Distortion pedal. It's not very noisy at all. The ML can pull off divebombs to sweeps, and blues to metal. It has a lot of variety. The clean sound is good enough to play softer songs. You can play soft ballads and death metal if you wanted to. Overall, very good sound.

I play Metal and this is a good match, but not complete for me without EMGs. I have been playing for four years, and I also have a B.C. Rich Warlock, and an Epiphone SG Special. If it were stolen, I would get another immediately. I compared it to my Warlock, and it has a warmer tone (because of the pickups) but the playability and feel of it is better. I wish it could come with an EVH D-tuna and a Tremol-No equipped. But hey, wish in one hand, sh*t in the other, which one would fill up first? Overall, this is a very good guitar and I guarantee it will please.

This can definitely withstand live playing. The hardware should last well through time, and the strap buttons are very solid. You can depend on this ML, and you could use it without a backup, but I say you should ALWAYS have a backup. The Finish should last for years of playing.

This guitar came very well set up from the factory and I was very pleased. Not a single nut or bolt was loose. It pulled off diveboms straight out of the box. The pickups were adjusted fine. The bridge was routed and set up perfectly, and I had no problems with the floyd. The first night I had it, I changed the gauge of the strings from 9s to 10 - 53s. So I had to put them on, move the springs and add 1 spring, balance the bridge again, and intonate. Took me 3 hours, but I had no problems doing it. The guitar came with no flaws and included a cable and an extra floyd spring.

This guitar was made in Dec. 2011, it's a new model. It was made in China (but plays like it's from the USA). It has 22 Jumbo frets (I think), and has a Rosewood fretboard. It has a solid top. The Body and neck are both Basswood, which has a good tone. The finish is Dean's Classic Black. The guitar is an ML, which really resonates for a full tone. This guitar is actually pretty big. Weighs a good amount, and because of it's size, gets a good sound. It comes with a Floyd Rose Special, which is a Korean-made version of the Original Floyd. The bridge stays in good tune, and is better than any licensed Floyd that I've seen. It can even flutter! It has volume, tone, and a three-way selector switch. The pickups are DMT design, and have good clean tone. If they're in distortion, it's not awesome, but still great. Its got Grover tuners, which was a surprise to me because the Dean page says just "sealed die cast tuners". It came with the Wrenches for the Floyd, the tremolo bar, and a cable. Some other specs are: 24-3/4" scale, 1-11/16" nut, and pearl dot inlays. You can look more on deanguitars.com.

DrShredder97
    Honestly, I take back that about EMG's. I really like passive pickups, I'm buying BareKnuckle Aftermaths for it. EMGs are overated. I just recently listened to BareKnuckle, and they sound better an fuller than EMGs.
    mrrman
    Ive never had a chance to try a Dean guitar out so I cant give an honest opinion
    Heideck
    EMG active pick ups are veray hard too play, lot's of feedback and noise if you don't play correctly. They force you to have a very good technique, but they can be way better, I just don't recommend them for beginner and averge player, they'll get better sound from passive pick ups. For the review, i think there are some better guitars for 300$ bucks. ot bad guitar, but Dean should wake up and start doing better low-end guitars. theur high-end guitars are kicking asses, but why they don't apply the same philosophy with their other guitars??
    DrShredder97
    0 out of 2 people found this helpful? Wow, some people really have something against Deans. Trolls will be Trolls
    DrShredder97
    AnnihilationUK, you're an idiot. Dime only used Washburn because Dean went out of business. He's used Dean since he was a kid. He switched right back to Dean when they came back in business in 2004.
    swave75
    DJ2109
    BlackSabbathFTW
    People should stop whinning about Dean using dime's name when they had no idea that Dime supplied Dean Guitars with enough projects to work on to last them for YEARS
    AnnihilationUK
    DJ2109 wrote: AnnihilationUK wrote: Over rated & Over priced. Incredibly average guitars. They're living off of Dimebags name when he didn't even use them! Buy a Washburn if you're only buying a Dean because "Dime used them" and the "cool shape" - The Washburns are in a whole different league. I think you're referring to the Razorback line? The ML series really doesn't even talk about Dime's name at all, but the Razorback signatures are another matter completely... Personally I never really liked these guitars, too big for me when I tried them, and the oversized headstock just looks ridiculous
    Just all the deans really - they took a lot of the Dime colour schemes from Washburn. I mean, they're identical and sound a fraction as good as Washburn for about the same price really. And they have the Dean Dimebag DBD Tribute ML. I'd still take the ML over the Razorback though - you're right
    Kevan80
    bastards
    Deans are incredibly stable guitars. Mine the Dime-o-Flage, but I got it as a cosmetic second and has lasted me through 5 years of playing. I'll take and say though, the necks are the only problem with some of these guitars. They feel super gommy.
    DrShredder97
    swave75 wrote: No one else noticed you bought it from ebay but me? Very cool! Always looked at guitars on there but always worried about the shipping and things like that.
    Yea man, It was free shipping
    DrShredder97
    Heideck wrote: For the review, i think there are some better guitars for 300$ bucks. ot bad guitar, but Dean should wake up and start doing better low-end guitars. theur high-end guitars are kicking asses, but why they don't apply the same philosophy with their other guitars??
    As you said, this guitars not bad, it's actually really good. I got it brand new, but for $300 because of a super small scratch. Came in factory packaging. It's really built great, great tone and everything. I think their ML series (not the Dime stuff) are a shitload better than the Razorbacks. They do fine on their low end guitars, in my opinion.
    metalburn9
    There's also the Dime guitar that's a Dean MLX as the Far Beyond Driven guitar and the one with the lightning on it.
    AnnihilationUK
    Kevan80 wrote: AnnihilationUK wrote: Over rated & Over priced. Incredibly average guitars. They're living off of Dimebags name when he didn't even use them! Buy a Washburn if you're only buying a Dean because "Dime used them" and the "cool shape" - The Washburns are in a whole different league. Deans are solid above average guitars. I own a Schecter, ESP, dean, and have played just about every brand of guitar there is (not bragging, just letting you know I'm not playing a typhoon). Dean is a respectable brand. You want to buy a overpriced guitar that sucks? Go buy a gibson, fender, or B.C rich. Dimebag/dean guitars may not be your style, but don't knock the quality.
    Deans are definitely my style (I own 4) but you could definitely buy a better guitar for the price of the better USA made ones.
    derpdragon
    I don't get whats with all the Dean hate, they're just like any other company. It all comes down to what you like. Sometimes you get a bad guitar in bad shape, other times (like myself) you pay for more than what you get and 4 years later it's still you favorite guitar, even more so than the EC-1000 you bought at almost 3 times the price.
    rv_phoenix
    Some Deans aren't bad, but they are definitely over-rated and overpriced. And these X-type guitars look like crap and sound very odd. Why would someoneplay on such an incomfortable guitar, who provides such an average sound, when an Ibanez would be the perfect tool for shredding?