ML XM review by Dean

Dean: ML XM

Purchased from: PMT Technology

I play mostly rock and metal such as Slipknot, Bullet For My valentine and Black Stone Cherry and this guitar handles it all pretty well. I am using a Line 6 Spider III with this guitar, also a Dunlop Crybaby Wah and Behringer OD100 Distortion Pedal, and the sounds it very smooth, it's not at all noisy. It's also very quiet whilst changing pickups, there no click or crackle to be heard. This guitar can produce anything from smooth clean tones, to distorted death-metal sounds very well, very good sound for a low end guitar.

The only thing I wish this guitar had is a Floyd Rose, but other than this, it seems very well built, good quality construction and good quality humbuckers or the price. If this were lost or stolen I would most likely save up for a Razorback, but this being said, I would more than happily buy another one of these ML-XM's to Mod. Before buying I compared this guitar to a Epiphone SG Flametop, I prefered this one mainly because of the weight, and the feel on the neck and body, it's also very comfterble to play.

This guitar dosent feel the most sold built of guitars, mainly because it's so light, but I think it could withstand Live playing quite well, depending on the condition it's been kept in and the type of case you are using with it. The hardware seems quite solid, also seeming that it will last for a good long time without being replaced. I would use this at a gig no problems, but not without a backup, same with any guitar weather it's a Gibson or a Sqier.

The guitar was suppringly well set up from the factory, I haven't had to adjust it what so ever, the pickups were at perfect height, the strings at a good height and no bows in the neck. The only thing that lets this guitar down is the quality of the finish, I haven't had this guitar for 3 weeks, and already the top wing of the V is scrathed badly.

I'm not too sure about when it was made, but it has a very light weight Paulownia wood, which makes it perfect for standing up playing. I know for a fact it was made in China as it clearly states on the back. It has 22 frets, 21 of them I find very easy to reach. the XM has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge and 2 open humbuckers which hav a pretty good sound. Nothing was included when I bought this guitar, as with most guitars these days, you don't get a bag, strap, or anything like that.