ML XM review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Dean: ML XM

Price paid: € 189

Purchased from: Thommann

I play bit of rock and metal with a Line 6 15 spider 4 and my Kustom kg212 fx with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. I own 16 guitars most of them under 400 euros, Aria pe std, bc richs vg 1, Ibanez gsz 120, Cort X-2 + others and this is by far the noisy of the bunch! I don't know if its the wiring or the pick ups although the pick ups are not bad for rock and metal. Clean sounds are very good and rich.

I play bit of everything, mostly rock and metal, its ok for these styles but not blues or country I think. I've been playing for 3 yars now but consider myself a newb. I own 16 guitars 2 Axl's B C Rich and many more. If I could just test Drive it before buying I probably wouldn't buy it. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't mind, I would probably feel sorry for the poor old chap. Its not all grey and gloomy though with a few upgrades it could be a fine guitar. A mahogany body would be nice.

I wouldn't use it live due to the noisy electrics, it could withstand a live performance though I wouldn't depend on it, I would be definetely be using a back up. The finish can't take hits because its soft to the touch and will probably wear off by time. Also the soft body means danger if you drop it headstock first!

Very good set up from the factory, nice low action with no fret buzzing, there was some imperfections on the headstock of the guitar and the neck had tiny cracs on the bottom of the neck which I suspect is due to the wood which feels really fragile and light.

Its a 2010 made in china make. 24 3/4" scale, mahogany body, paulownia top which makes it too light, rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge, 2 Dean humbucker pick-ups with a Satin Natural finish which feels a bit rough on edges. Theres a 3 way selector for the pickups a volume and a tone which unfortunately feel like falling apart. Nt was provided except the usual cable an mini wrench for the neck.

ffunkffan74
    I dont like the lightweight body. When I play it dry(without amp) the guitar is very loud and the body vibrates very. Ive bought it at the thomann.de store, too, with a not nice deep hack(?!?) on the frontside, so i could see, whats under the top, i dont believe that the body is mahagony, surely not! Could it be a paulownia body with a 1mm thin mahagoni top? I have to customize it or sell it. In a direct compare with an old(around 20 years) BC Rich NJ Series the most conspicuous was the extreme lightweight and extreme vibrating body and the jumbofrets you have to like, when you buy this guitar.
    Heideck
    The fact I tune before I play every time helps, but those strings come out of tune in 20 minutes
    and you give 7 out of 10... damn, I wouldn't give more than 4... also, 9 for sound on a Line 6 Floor POD... damn again, even God with a guitar couldn't get as much good sound. But still, this is a good guitar for beginner, if you have patience for tuning