Razorback 255 7-String review by Dean

Dean: Razorback 255 7-String

Price paid: A$ 2600

Purchased from: Cecere's Music Centre

I pretty much just play metal/rock. I'm plugging this baby straight into a 12" Kustom 16w practice amp, and it surprisingly sounds amazing. I've been playing a lot of Trivium and Megadeth lately; both using Dean guitar for their records. The tone matches their songs, exactly, so if you want a little hint of what it sounds like, have a listen to Black Swan by Megadeth or Kirisute Gomen by Triviumand you'll get an idea of the tone. It's a very clean distortion; no muddiness but I do get a little bit of humming. Not too sure what that's from, it disappears once I start playing though or turn the volume knob right down. Playing on the clean channel, it also sounds gorgeous. I've played 'Two Steps Behind' by Def Leppard and it sounds spot on. One last thing about sound; the sustain is amazing. It just keeps on ringing.

This is one of the greatest metal guitars I've ever played, and feels perfect for me. I've been playing guitar for about 2-3 years now and the only other guitar I've owned is a Schecter Omen 6. During my time searching for another guitar, I've played some Ibanez 7 strings, Jackson Dinkys, and the Schecter C-7. Honestly, the Razorback beat them all. The look, feel, sound, and fast neck did it for me. 1 thing I wish I'd asked is "how do I re-tune/re-string it?" I thought I knew; I obviously didn't. This is now my pride and joy. If it were lost, I'd shoot myself. If it were stolen, I'd hunt the guy down and beat him. I love everything about this guitar. My only problem with it is the hole the whammy bar goes into, but I guess that's what you get when you buy an imported model and not a USA series with an OFR. That would be the only thing I'd change on it. I'd install a Original one. I just need money now:D Definitely recommend this guitar for anybody looking for a hot sounding, DEANgerous looking axe. (bad pun intended)

I've never played Live before, nor am I in a band yet, but I do plan on it later in the year. When I do start gigging, this will defiantly be my primary guitar. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup because of the Floyd Rose and if I snapped a string, I'd need a guitar straight away, I wouldn't have time to go out and re-string. However (if I had 'un-snappable strings' I'd defiantly use this, no problem, without a backup.

Firstly, the guitar was set up at the store before I picked it up. The action was nice and low. Minimal fret buzz, but the strings hadn't stretched when I picked it up, so after a while of playing I had to re-tune a floyd for the first time and snapped my top E string. I learned my lesson and know how to do it now so that isn't a problem. Probably the only problem is that after a bit of abuse, the little hole where the whammy bar goes in goes a bit loose, and I have to take the back plate off to tighten the nut at the back, but the gap is tiny so I need to use needle nose pliers, to turn it bit by bit. I might have to look into replacing that with another one of a different type. Also, because of the extra string, there are now 4 tuners on one side of the headstock. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but the top B string touches the Top E string at the nut.

Made in Korea. Not sure which year. 25 1/2 inch scale with 24 frets. The Upper frets are really easy to reach too. Body is a pearly white, with black bevels right round the body. Rosewood Fingerboard with set neck construction. Has a Licensed Floyd Rose with Active 707 EMG Pickups. 3 way selector; bridge, neck and both. 3 controls are given. Tone, and separate volume knobs for each pickup. Comes with some sexy as Gunmetal grey Grover tuners too. It all seems very nice. So far and haven't had any problems with it. I just had to fit some strap locks to it because I didn't want to risk snapping one of the 'spikes' It's also kinda heavy, but it's used for metal. It's meant to be heavy.

Hetfieldjr
    addman22
    i want one of these i saw trivium play these live i was like what the ****! that thing is sexy!
    IainDavies_2
    im really looking into getting one, except im sceptical about the floyd, as it is liscensed, and ive had huge floyd problems on my Epiphone Flying-V Gothic. I need to play one so i know it feels right as well.
    Plarx
    "what model kustom is it that Plarx uses is it the arrow or the john moyer sig or the 12 gauge" 12 guage.... sorry bout late reply... thought id get notified bout comments or something