Razorback DB review by Dean

Dean: Razorback DB

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

The Razorbacik DB suits metal and pretty much any other syle of music very well. I play it with a Fender Deluxe 900 amp with a Boss metalcore distortion pedal. This guitar sounds amazing, not only with distortion but also with a clean tone witch makes it good for playing more than just metal.

Overall this is a great guitar especially if your playing metal music. Still though, if this guitar got lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again.When I was looking at new guitars (After purchasing this one) I found a few guitars that are better than this one around it's price range, but if you're a fan of the Razorback and can't afford the more expensive ones this is the guitar for you.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't need a backup for this guitar if I played with it at a gig. I've beaten the living crap out of this thing and it still works just the same as when I bought it. I won't have to buy a new guitar for a long time that's for sure.

This guitar was put together very well.The pickups aren't adjusted perfectly, but it's good enough for it's price range. The only problem I've had with it is that when I'm playing in drop B or drop C it tends to go out of tuning easily, other than that it's a great guitar.

Back in 2007, Dean Guitars decided to make a Razorback with different and lower quality equipment that is aimed for people Who feel the Razorback is overpriced but still want the quality and design of the U.S. Razorback. Unlike it's higher priced predecessers it's neck and body is made of maple instead of mahogany, it has no liscenced Floyd Rose or tremolo, it has a bolt-on neck instead of set-in construction, and it has Dean pickups instead of EMG or Seymor Duncan and DiMarzio. Just like most guitars it comes with volume and tone control knobs, a pickup Switch (3-way), and a case to put it in (lite-leer).

BaSs`DudE
    okay....WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
    Pingis_Or_Death
    jammy827
    GAYYYY fob suck.
    Shazazmic
    Successful troll is... Successful!
    ldnovelo
    Vypor :these models of guitars orginally belonged to washburn before dimebag decided to switch to dean.
    hmm.. nope the dean ML was an old dean design. dean went out of business and dime went to washburn to get ML clones. Then dean returned and dime went back. Then he supposedly designed like over 9000 guitars and he was killed (rip) so dean got his "designs" and sells them for a much higher price because it says dime on the headstock. I personally like deans, but just dean deans, not dime deans or trivium deans or w/e. The 79's, black gold and sellect series guitars are vary good guitars, and the X series are decet begginer guitars. the bad part of dean IMO are the dime things. BTW, i dont know who buys a guitar with some guy's or a band's name on it. some people dont have one bit of originality.
    BRASKY
    well, he IS a diehard fallout boy fan....
    J.J.G.
    it is called a G-U-I-T-A-R. this one failed hard.
    Shinozoku
    bananajammin wrote: and pete wentz can blow me
    He'd probably be glad to.
    darkl64 wrote: Low range BC Rich > Low range Dean... And that is really saying something!
    Uhm, I wouldn't go THAT far. Mind you I've only played higher end Deans like the Evo Special and Hardtail Select. I believe the Evo actually sounded and felt better than the Hardtail. I was playing on a new amp that I wasn't familiar with though (Genz Benz). I find the necks easy to play and comfortable, and the only reason the Razorbacks are muddy is because of the Dimebuckers. Decent pickups and hardware would m ake them great guitars.
    eteam_sammy4him
    WTF dude, thi ain't a freaking BASS. Its a GUITAR.
    PedroLesPaulVM
    Kill'emall 83 wrote: Wont the spike on the bottom stab your crouch when your sitting and playing. Still pretty awesome guitar :headbang:
    Just reading this comment makes my "crouch" hurt.
    Charlie4
    moonatblack
    Dean is awful.B.C. Rich is even worse for a company that tries to sell horrible sounding guitars with good looks. If you want a great sounding guitar....obviously it is an Ibanez.
    ldnovelo
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: Appears to be like an ML X (the really cheap new ML's), but a RB. For the record, I've been playing guitar for only a year, and I play a Dean DimeBag Darrel Tribute. I bought it for $300, but the original price was like $550. It's an excellent guitar for the price and for a beginner like myself. Fast, smooth neck, relatively light weight for the size. It's got Duncan Zebra pick ups (about $45 a piece) and this cool "Dime-o-tone" knob which is amazing for playing scorching solos and squeelies. The sound always has balls, unless the Dime-o-tone knob is at 10 and the pick up switch is flipped to the bridge pick up. Then you get a trebley sounding mess. By the way, im playing on a Line6 Spider 3 15 through an RP50. Nothing too fancy, but great for showing off to my buds. This guitar sounds like it sucks, I wouldn't every buy an RB anyway. I'm thinking about an ESP F2E ...
    ur trolling right? srsly, your comment is a bad one. The pickups on it are sh*t, and your guitar isnt worth $550, get over it. Also, the reviewed guitar is an RD, no RB and no ML X. The ML X you called "cheap" is actually the same guitar you are playing but without the Dime headstock and the "dime o tone" thing(check the specs). You got $200 ripped off by dean for some paint on the headstock and body. That's what i hate about dean, ripping off begginers and some unware guys.
    Slow_N_Low
    I know nothing of Dean guitars, but I seem to remember reading that Trivium ended their relationship with Dean because the product was going downhill.
    justine3563
    im no dean player.i like the body..but i have nothing to say with the quality and performance
    justine3563
    i dont think that this is a good bass....worst review... pete wentz commented on this... he said it sucked.. 6string basses suck... do dimebag play bass guitars?a 6string bass to be exact.. freak!
    justine3563
    do dimebag play bass guitars?a 6string bass to be exact.. freak!
    colm c
    Kill'emall 83
    Burney123456789
    Funny about not needing a backup, my mate had one at a gig and on the first song the strap fell off and a string broke. :lol:
    BcRichRocker1
    This particular guitar is near terrible. my friend has it and the minute i played it i was like "where did u get it, toys r us?" it sounds so crappy, the feedback is really bad and its sooo trebley. it just sounds like noise. Deans are okay tho usually, i like the more expensive models, but dont bother buying a cheap one such as this because u will most likely regret it
    Vypor
    I personally dislike deans anyways, I really hate the Razorbacks and the "dime bag" guitars. The reason being : I like washburns, washburn guitars kick ass, and these models of guitars orginally belonged to washburn before dimebag decided to switch to dean.
    A Bad Guitarist
    Derp.
    Metalmangini
    jammy827 wrote: BRASKY wrote: J.J.G. wrote: falloutboyrawks wrote: i dont think that this is a good bass....worst review... pete wentz commented on this... he said it sucked.. 6string basses suck... it is called a G-U-I-T-A-R. this one failed hard. well, he IS a diehard fallout boy fan.... GAYYYY fob suck.
    seriously who would value the opinion of a fob fan
    falloutboyrawks
    MR.ParKs
    I've played a lot of Deans and only two have been good at all: my Cadillac Select and a 79 reissue Z. Everything else has sucked, ESPECIALLY the Razorbacks.
    The^Unforgiven
    Don't know about this guitar, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that all Deans suck ass. Not a big fan of ML or Razorback, I've played a ~$1400 Razorback and it wasn't for me, but I often play with my brother's Dean Cadillac and I have to say it's one good guitar.
    richard_edwards
    im all for dean, but this guitar doesnt justify the price. it probably cost them 150 to make, then they sell it at that ridiculous price to make quick cash to the people who 'need' a razorback. it was designed in the managements breaktime.
    r0ckth3d34n
    Brendan.Clace
    I think that UG should have said no to this review. This is a terrible review, I'm sorry, that's not a flame, it's the truth. Half of the stuff said isn't even true about this guitar. You are telling me Dean released this guitar because they knew that the buyers felt the other guitars were overpriced? Come on UG....this review fails hard....
    Pingis_Or_Death
    colm c wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: colm c wrote: People who buy Dean obviously suffer from such a high degree of buyers remorse they feel they have to justify spending stupid amounts of money on sub-par "guitars" at everry opportunity. Horrible guitar, horrible brand. Funny, I have a Dean ML '79 for like 570 $ and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played, especially for the price. You can never say that a brand sucks until you've tried every model by the brand. I have a lot of experience with Dean guitars. Im not just saying because i can. Ive played alot of MLs, and the US Razorback which this guitar is based on. Ive made my judgement im not expecting to sway your opinion. The necks are difficult to traverse. The tone is muddy and undefined(not with all deans, some though) just a few issues i have with them.
    I agree the Razorbacks suck a little, but at least my Dean is good, and that's all that matters to me.
    Lamb of Deth
    just to defend Dean some I have a VMNT and it is one of best my 7 guitars, over the ltds for sure (though they are good). However I did drop a grand to get it and most people here are commenting on the lower end Deans. It's main competition right now is the 7 string Ibanez Xiphos im getting used to. So in other words Deans up to the $650 range, seemingly crap, above, well worth trying.
    POWERMETAL!
    Charlie4 wrote: My opinion: Dean guitars are milking the Dime Train, I think that Dimebag wouldn't have liked that they make crap/cheap guitars (not all of 'em) using his name. Another thing I would like to know is why Dean Zebelinsky left Dean and started a diffrent company?
    probably not. and $. the DBZ guitars are the SAME thing, just with all kinds of bevels and b/s designs. its still Dean, but this way he can through another grand on there cause its his name and its not coming from the POS factory where they make guitars in this review...
    Aaronrockstar15
    i like the look of these razorback guitar by dean great style i dont like the play to 'em though i much better prefer washburn guitars...
    colm c
    bananajammin
    this guitar definitely would not be worth $450, especially considering that maple is cheap and available, and bolt-on necks and dean's own brand of pickups would cost next to nothing to manufacture
    Marzy Boy
    Can somebody please help me? i have a 450 budget for xmas and i was wondering what guitar to get. Im really interested in this guitar, i think it looks beautiful and without a Floyd Rose its a steal (i HATE Floyd Roses) On the other hand i am quite interested in a Jackson RR3 in a full black finish, even though i hate the Floyd Rose. The style i am into is Metalcore/Heavy Metal (As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine, Metallica, Children Of Bodom) I would be playing this guitar in Drop C tuning. I use a Line 6 15w Spider 3 for all my playing. Please help?
    Thrash n Grind
    yeh But i Have a Dean Db Classic Black. it pretty cheap it sounds ok..... but the paint on the end of the spikes (on the body) is wearig out
    din_blix
    low end dean < ltd, low end jackson, epi, hell even a squire with a SSH set up. A freind of mine had a bolted dean along time ago, and it was terrible. I like the sound of the higher end dean Vs but that stupid head stock ruins it for me, call me wierd but an arrow shaped headstock is all the belongs on a V.
    CleanCanvas
    are u retarded? 1 pete wentz is a stupid bassist who doesnt play electric 2 pete wentz doesnt even play metal
    darkl64
    Low range BC Rich > Low range Dean... And that is really saying something!