Razorback DB review by Dean

Dean: Razorback DB

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I play Heavy Metal (think Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc...) and this guitar sounds great through my Line 6 Spider Valve 112. With the stock DMT design pickups, I can get a very heavy tone like "Master Of Puppets" Metallica, or I can turn down the gain and get a nice crunchy Angus Young AC/DC tone. Although I plan on replacing the DMT pickups with Seymour Duncan Blackouts the stock pickups sound good enough for the price. This guitar doesn't have a great clean tone, but hey this thing wasn't meant to play clean. This thing is a metal machine that can seriously melt some faces.

I play metal, every time I look at this it puts an evil grin on my face. This guitar matches my style perfectly. If this guitar was stolen I would buy 2 more. It was absolutely worth the $450. The only thing I wish it had was some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which I plan on buying anyways. If your looking for a great, high quality intermediate level guitar, this is it.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with this battle axe live yet, but I'm sure it would hold up fine. The only problem I see with this guitar is the fact that this thing is HUGE. It weighs around 11 lbs, so expect a sore shoulder if you plan on running around, jumping up and down onstage with this thing for and hour or 2 (I need the exercise anyways, hehe). The hardware seems like it will last for a long time, all but the volume knobs which can be pulled of pretty easily.

Straight from the factory the guitar needed some adjustments. Of course it needed tuned first of all but thats to be expected (remember this is a Floyd Rose, so this takes about 20 minutes the first time). The action was perfect but the Floyd Rose and the pickups needed everything setup. I had to set the intonation which is a pain on Floyd Rose bridges, also I had to tighten the springs because the bridge was pulled to far forward when it was in E Standard tuning, and I raised the pickups closer to the strings. Make sure you know your way around a Floyd Rose before you buy this guitar so that you know how to set it up properly yourself and don't have to take it to a shop that will charge you $20.

I just recently bought this Dean Razorback DB Floyd guitar from Musicians friend for $450. I'm not sure what year it was made, but it was made in china. It has a Maple neck, Basswood body, and Rosewood fingerboard. It has 22 frets with a thin 24-3/4 scale neck, grover tuners, Floyd Rose special bridge and locking nut, that stays in-tune amazingly well. 2 Dean DMT design humbucker pickups with a 2 volume, 1 tone, and 3-way switch setup sound great. The guitar came in with a fitted Lite Leer case that can The classic black finish and all black hardware look amazing with the Razorback body design.

megadeth52
    does this guitar have the beveled edges cause im thinkin of getin a pitch black one then geting the bevels painted yellow
    rickysolima
    its got a beveled edge megadeath52 but you probley be better off buying the one that has a painted edge already i think there called "dean razorback 225" and there much better quality but thats just my opinion tho.