Razorback DB review by Dean

Dean: Razorback DB

Purchased from: Beatles Centre

Dean's low-end model has grabbed a good attention of the market and here I have got a Razorback DB Classic Black brand new. The guitar is made in Indonesia and has got 22 frets, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Dime razor inlay at twelfth fret, DBD traction knobs, Grover tuners, DMT design hambuckers, 3-way toggle switch, two volume and one tone control knobs. The guitar has a scale length of 24.75" and has a "C" profile which suits best for all style of playing. The neck contour at the back is of satin finish but I prefer gloss. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru body. As compared to my ESP KH-2, the guitar has almost same neck radius of about 400 mm but I feel a little difference in the frets as it has extra-jumbo frets while the ESP has got medium-jumbo.

I have probably got this with Dimebag Darrell Signature Hi-Voltage strings by DR Strings as what Dean says. I haven't changed the strings but still it sounds good being a stock one. The bridge pick-up has a warmer while the neck one has a sort of bright tone. I run it through Zoom G1 Next with my custom tone setup through a Yamaha amp and also I run it through Line 6 Spider IV and the results are great. DMT design stock hambuckers has surely no comparison with Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio passives but still it has good tone, crisp and good sustain. I am not expecting a high vicious tone from this pickup but amazed to have a good tone coming out of it. The guitar is not that noisy and sounds to have a good shielding inside.

I got it box packed. It has a gloss black finish which seems good, absolutely no scratches. Razorback has an eye-catching appearance and this is what attracted everybody whether he knows Dimebag or not. The guitar comes with a little dry fretboard which I settled with lemon oil. The worst thing that a new guitar can have is poor fret leveling and fortunately Dean manages this with their lower-end models which is rare. I have got this with no buzz at all. The bridge seems in good nicks, neck has no bow, knobs and toggle switch works perfectly, strap locks are also tight (very important part if you play abusively). The guitar came with a slight high action which I hate most. I have measured the dia of strings with screw gauge and found that it has 9-42 set. It has jumbo frets which seems flattered at the top but still I am worrying whether it tends to buzz or not when I put a thicker set with low-action.

The guitar has a unique shape having a bigger body and has a nice body balance but still not that good. I have to use my fretting hand to hold the guitar in correct playing position. The strap locks are pretty solid. The finish seems long lasting but it depends upon the way you handle the guitar. I clean it from head to toe after each use. The guitar has tough to stand so I can rely on it. The frets are jumbo so I think it won't wear out easily rather that the guitar is solid for playing in gigs.

Dean and other counterparts brought the low-end models in such a charming campaign and marketing by using the name of guitar giants to attract everyone from noob to professional but I have to say you get what you paid for and if you look around the U.S.A. Razorback series quoted for about 3k $ besides having the flame top, Duncan pickups, Floyd Rose and some other fascinating details the price difference is so much of about 2.67k $ so don't expect too much from the low-end models but still at this low-price you get a good axe for everything you want to have and the best thing is the Dimebag's legacy. Worth to money.