Razorback DB Biomechanical review by Dean

Dean: Razorback DB Biomechanical

Purchased from: Intersales Music Kettering

I play a lot of kinds of music ranging from blues (bands like Cream) to Death Metal (Behemoth, Death, etc). I'm using a small Marshall 15W amp, with a Dime Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. The guitar sounds great for Metal and good for Rock and Blues. For Metal I would give it a 8.5/10 and a 7.5/10 for Rock and Blues. The guitar has a good, chunky sound and is able to make different tones by changing the tonal settings. Low tone = a very Black Sabbath sounding tone, and high = very sharp and full-sounding.

I've been playing anything from blues to rock to Metal for round about 5 and a half years now, mostly Metal. I own a Fender Strat, a B.C. Rich KK Beast and a Valencia acoustic I inherited from my great grandad. In comparison, the Dean is my favourite of the four guitars. I don't wish that I'd asked anything else beforehand as I was given good, reliable information from Intersales and everything they told me was correct, I've found out. If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely replace it - if I had the money! I'm not a money tree, haha. I love the neck thickness, as it is perfect for my hand size. The guitar is quite weighty but I prefer that in a guitar as I've been used to it for years. The tremolo system was a great addition - I love it. The Grover tuners are very good and I rarely have to tune all of the strings - just the low E string and any other strings if I replace any. I compared it with a Jackson and an ESP, but chose this because it felt great to me and was within my budget of 400, and the ESP was about 750 and the Jackson 255. I chose the Dean over the Jackson as it felt better to play. I only wish it had an extra 3 frets as I can't hit Chuck Schuldiner notes, haha!

The guitar will withstand live playing, definitely. It's a good, strong guitar and has withstood me accidentally hitting it off of the amp pretty hard and it scraping across a wall (oops, stupid me). The hardware has lasted very well and I expect it to last for a long while to come. This is a very dependable guitar, however I'm not sure if I'd use it without a backup guitar live, but only because of past experiences with any technology - it always seems to mess up on me! (Technology, not the guitar).

The guitar arrived and was out of tune, but that's to be expected when it comes from thousands of miles away (from America). The action was just fine, and I didn't need to tweak it at all. In fact, the only thing I needed to tweak was the tuning. The pick-ups were fine and the bridge was also fine. There was no rusting, bad quality wood, broken hardware, missing pieces, etc. Overall, I think it was set up very well for my liking.

The guitar I purchased included: - Basswood Top / Body - 24-3/4" Scale - 1-11/16" Nut - Bolt-On Maple C Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - Pearl Dime Razor Inlays - Grover Tuners - Black Hardware - Floyd Rose Special Bridge - Dean DMT Design Humbucker Pickups - Light Weight Case Included - "Biomechanical" Custom Graphic

K!!LsWiTcH
    i love UG reviews. to adjust tone, adjust tone. high tones offer a higher sounding tone and lower tones offer a lower sounding tone.
    valennic
    is able to make different tones by changing the tonal settings
    No way O_O
    nick_b
    hobble91
    I can't play anything more comfortably or as well as my RR3 man, and the one thing I noticed growing up and learning with it is that you almost have to learn to play standing, none of that "for this one I gotta sit down" mess (though I mean no disrespect to those like Satch). Though why we're talking about V's I'm kinda confused on, since this is more of an X or K. As far as Dean's go, I think that any new DB series post 2004 doesn't have Dime's approval, so it doesn't have mine. One of my friends has had the Dean from Hell forever and that's the only Dean I think anyone would ever need.
    Sparda93
    Any Chuck Schuldiner fan gets a 10/10 from me, regardless of what guitar they might play
    Tomayo88
    If you read what I wrote, that's not actually what it said , K!LsWiTcH.
    EpiExplorer
    MonsterOfRock
    edgeyyz wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: AdamnEve wrote: This sounds somewhat nice, but I just can't justify a flying V and especially not an artist series one... They are so contrived looking. And Basswood is truly horrible, one of the cheapest woods that you can get. I'd prefer a Dean Cadillac anyday. I think more traditional looking guitars are far more contrived than a V, like the Aristedes. Then again, if anyones ever owned a V, they have the most comfortable guitar shape, so bias on my part.You think Vs are comfortable? Damn, that's a first.
    Flying-Vs are extremely comfortable. You're supposed to wedge it over your leg when sitting down, and it won't move around the slightest bit. And fret access on Vs are unmatched, hell, if you could put frets on top of the neck pickup, you could flawlessly pick that!
    blackbird51
    My RGD 2127Z Prestige would have to disagree with you there on basswood being cheap.
    Kalststart
    I love Dean. They make the best Designs for Guitars. Especially the Dimebag series and the Razorbacks are great. Mabey its just because i like Pantera. But the overall rating is good so this speaks for itself
    edgeyyz
    You think Vs are comfortable? Damn, that's a first.
    blackbird51
    The Grover tuners are very good and I rarely have to tune all of the strings
    Well that's most likely because you have a DOUBLE LOCKING TREMOLO and once you lock it down you don't use the grovers AT ALL.
    Charvel1995
    nick_b wrote: This looks more like a Fear Factory guitar than a Pantera axe. I mean, no disrespect, but haven't Dean been beating the [excuse the phrase] dead horse of Dimebag for too long? I mean, he's been dead for eight years. Maybe it's time to move forward.
    Nope, cash cow hasn't run dry yet. Dime's name is iconic, icons = sales.
    AdamnEve
    tonello
    I'd have taken the money spent on the guitar, and bought a new amp personally.