Razorback DB Biomechanical Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/30/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Dean: Razorback DB Biomechanical
 8.1
 8.8
 7.3
 1,707
review (1) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback DB Biomechanical Reviewed by: Tomayo88, on january 30, 2012

Purchased from: Intersales Music Kettering

Features: The guitar I purchased included: - Basswood Top / Body - 24-3/4" Scale - 1-11/16" Nut - Bolt-On Maple C Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - Pearl Dime Razor Inlays - Grover Tuners - Black Hardware - Floyd Rose Special Bridge - Dean DMT Design Humbucker Pickups - Light Weight Case Included - "Biomechanical" Custom Graphic // 8

Sound: I play a lot of kinds of music ranging from blues (bands like Cream) to Death Metal (Behemoth, Death, etc). I'm using a small Marshall 15W amp, with a Dime Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. The guitar sounds great for Metal and good for Rock and Blues. For Metal I would give it a 8.5/10 and a 7.5/10 for Rock and Blues. The guitar has a good, chunky sound and is able to make different tones by changing the tonal settings. Low tone = a very Black Sabbath sounding tone, and high = very sharp and full-sounding. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived and was out of tune, but that's to be expected when it comes from thousands of miles away (from America). The action was just fine, and I didn't need to tweak it at all. In fact, the only thing I needed to tweak was the tuning. The pick-ups were fine and the bridge was also fine. There was no rusting, bad quality wood, broken hardware, missing pieces, etc. Overall, I think it was set up very well for my liking. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing, definitely. It's a good, strong guitar and has withstood me accidentally hitting it off of the amp pretty hard and it scraping across a wall (oops, stupid me). The hardware has lasted very well and I expect it to last for a long while to come. This is a very dependable guitar, however I'm not sure if I'd use it without a backup guitar live, but only because of past experiences with any technology - it always seems to mess up on me! (Technology, not the guitar). // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing anything from blues to rock to Metal for round about 5 and a half years now, mostly Metal. I own a Fender Strat, a B.C. Rich KK Beast and a Valencia acoustic I inherited from my great grandad. In comparison, the Dean is my favourite of the four guitars. I don't wish that I'd asked anything else beforehand as I was given good, reliable information from Intersales and everything they told me was correct, I've found out. If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely replace it - if I had the money! I'm not a money tree, haha. I love the neck thickness, as it is perfect for my hand size. The guitar is quite weighty but I prefer that in a guitar as I've been used to it for years. The tremolo system was a great addition - I love it. The Grover tuners are very good and I rarely have to tune all of the strings - just the low E string and any other strings if I replace any. I compared it with a Jackson and an ESP, but chose this because it felt great to me and was within my budget of 400, and the ESP was about 750 and the Jackson 255. I chose the Dean over the Jackson as it felt better to play. I only wish it had an extra 3 frets as I can't hit Chuck Schuldiner notes, haha! // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Dimebag Concrete Sledge ML 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/07/2015