Razorback Shards review by Dean

Dean: Razorback Shards

Price paid: C$ 1500

Unplugged with DR Dime Hi voltage strings in Standard this guitar sounds great its defintely up there with the higher end LTD and BC Rich guitars I've played, if you want an Ultra high output Bridge pickup for the heaviest Pantera or Damageplan songs look no further the pickups on this to the right listener will go toe to toe with EMG pickups. But again this the true to Dime signature razorback not the one they would later come out with that's neckthrough with the original Floyd Rose... And for all I know 24 frets and it did indeed have an 81/85 or 81/60 EMG configuration.

First time I saw one of these I was around 14 or 15 and I picked it up for a better look and I said to myself I have to have this 6 years later I got my wings. I've been playing since I was around 13 and really I wouldn't have appreciated this guitar then but I sure do now as to beginners everything sounds the same the first year or so and we think its cosmetic. I love the Floyd Rose on it, I hate that its set neck because they break more than any guitar neck combined, the fret work amazed me and its up to you about the paint finish. Now comparing... A BC Rich Warlock or anything Bronze series (seriously) has a bulletproof like finish how thick the polyurethane is on it that's 10x more durable than this guitar... A neckthrough LTD I found had a fuller sound, similar wood and a Floyd Rose of course. Sound its up to you if this guitar was stolen/lost or anything in between some heads are gonna roll... That's all I'm saying a Squier or entry level Epiphone is a whole different story but this amount of money that isn't mommy or daddies money they spent on you, you REALLY appreciate this guitar being common wealth because guitarist or not 1500$ can buy you a lot of stuff this being stolen is almost like a rolex or something along those lines.

This guitar will last a world tour if you take care of it or don't mind a chip or two, 95% of the people who bought this guitar wanted to stand out and what better way, its kind of a fusion of a B.C. Rich Ironbird and a Gibson Flying V... You get this awesome looking graphic that will make you stand out on stage and I've got noting but compliments for this guitar since the day I bought it. The hardware still looks new with little signs of ware, I can highly depend on it, this isn't some cheap walmart or Epiphone beginner guitar. So this indeed I could do without a backup guitar but come on who brings one guitar to a gig to begin with. Sadly this will chip the finish and paint but its a price I'm willing to take for the ultimate guitar tone as the more the wood breathes the better the sound as too much finish will compress your sound.

The pickups height and all that I'm very picky as will you if you've been playing as long as me but safe to say when I got home it could out play all the cliche guitars kids are saving up their allowance to buy in this price range if not more. I did have to swap the 3 way toggle Switch after a year as it "died" and it still looks new as I took very good care of it. This guitar in all honesty has a very thin finish but guitar makers tend to do this to make the wood breathe better so its not "crap quality" I'll admit Dean should have went with Tung/linseed oil to finish these guitars but like I've said two or three times before this is a replica of dimebags guitars, there's no way to tell for sure if Dean just cut corners on this for me. But taken proper care nothing is loose, the frets are in "like new" shape and everything you really look for in a quality guitar. So 9 because of the 3 way change, everything else is well worth the money. The V shaped neck and bound rosewood fretboard where two other cool features.

One of the best metal guitars you can buy, Dean is kind of famous after 2004 for really milking Dimebag Darrell and putting out wayy too many "signature series" guitars for Dime but this is as close as you're going to get to his stage guitars for under 2000$. Its all mahogany like his ML's, grover tuners, same amount of frets, this is indeed set neck which all his best guitars where and this features his Dimebucker SH-13 by Seymour Duncan which he would Switch between on his guitars on stage. This features 22 jumbo frets which I'm sure everyone has already mentioned and really the fretwork on this guitar is far superior to a lot of guitars I've owned just really solid feeling with not a touch of buzz. What I like most about this guitar is the two volume knobs which is something new to me as I've refused to own a Les Paul or anything with it in the past. Of all the licensed floyd roses though this is probably the best one right up there with the low profile one which I recommend to anyone looking for a good replacement for whatever reason with a proper set up and 10-46s its one of the most comfortable floyd roses I've ever used. So even though there's no Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and no original Floyd Rose which its safe to say he used this is EXACTLY like what he used on stage. So because of that I'll give it a 10 because the difference from an OFR (original floyd rose) and a 59 neck pickup to 90% of the people playing this guitar is un-noticable especially if you're rich and just spending your parents money.

Vypor
    These are excellently shaped guitars, they kick ass for just rocking out on, the razorbacks and MLs have something like 15 ways to hold and play.
    Vypor
    Lol Pantera at a youth club? I sense irony.
    Destinyrider22
    Vypor wrote: Rexety wrote: Looking for a good guitar in a price class from 1000 - 1500 dollars. Playing in a band and often plays on the youth club were i live. Need a guitar that i can have for years and use on some big stages without getting so much feedback. Is it worth buying this guitar? I see the Razorback explosion doesn't got as much as this one and their pretty much the same or? I do play Pantera and such. Lol Pantera at a youth club? I sense irony.
    maybe he has an awesome youth club?
    zn-1
    seek_&_destroy wrote: razorbacks were designed i believe the day before he died, he only used the ml's
    "Dimebag did have the chance to use the Razorback in a couple of live gigs, however his death came the night before he was scheduled to have a photoshoot with the "Rust Razorback" model, which was hand made by Dean Zelinsky, and the finish designed by Stephen Jensen."
    SmittyMan90
    fullmetaltrash wrote: arnt the razorbacks like a series dedicated to dime
    I seen drawings Dime made when working with Dean Zelisnsky on this project
    Guitar Sushi
    Lol everyone gave 10s except the last guy who had the balls to be honest. Come on people. Lets have a moment of reflection, people that who stand by Dean claim that they are perfect guitars. As no guitar is perfect we can clearly see they are fanboys and I'm sorry they wasted their money. Whenever someone who knows anything about guitars comes across one there is anger to be had... you should probably read my review of the Dime O'Flame... absoloutely horrible.