Razorback Slime Bumblebee review by Dean

Dean: Razorback Slime Bumblebee

I play Metal and nothing else, no funk or blues or country stuff, just straight up chunky riffing and this guitar suits it absolutely perfectly. I use it through a DigiTech GNX4 into a Line 6 Spider II, but I'm gonna get a Randall head and cab soon, and it absolutely rocks, you couldnt ask for a more perfectly rounded sound. I wouldn't call it warm, but I wouldn't say it was bright either, its in some sort of parrallel dimension between the two where perfect sound exists. The SH1 is great for solos and speed picking a la Michael Angelo, but I was expecting more crunch form the Dimebucker, it doesn't sound all that different to the Wilkinson cheapos I have in my old guitar. Nonetheless, it gives a big enough chugg anyway so its not too much of a biggie. Without a noisegate this is an incredibly buzzy guitar, mostly due to the high gain on the pickups, but again it doesn't put you off that much. One thing I love about this guitar is the ability to create pinch harmonics so easily, you can do it accidentally sometimes but pinchers sound great so who cares? If I needed to look and sound like a guitar god onstage, I would reach for this guitar no question, it just blitzes the opposition in terms of tone and playability (even Ibanez and Parker).

Overall, I would say that this is pretty much the perfect guitar for anyone wanting to become a rock god. I've only been playing for 2.5 years but hats long enough for me to know what's good and whats not, and this is good indeed. I compared it with a few ESPs and Jacksons but the only guitars I can find which are better to play and sound better are the USA versions of the same guitar, which cost about 3000 each. I could talk about how good it is for weeks. If it ever gt stolen, I would hunt the bastards down-The Crow style, before buying it again. I only wish it was a bit smaller, as it its a bitch to handle in enclosed spaces.

I have yet to use this guitar at a proper gig, bt I've used it in front of small crowds and its sounding even better than it used to. I have no doubt that it would withstand a proper gig, the finish is as solid as a rock, the floyd rose seems like it will never go out of tune and the electronics seem better quality than the stuff you get in PCs. No matter who sees it, they will just get blown away by the sheer look of the thing, wondering how it can possibly be that sharp (I've already cut myself on it). I would never go to a gig without a backup but my old Wraith would almost always be stuck in its box for the entire night if I took this.

When I got the guitar it was strung with D'Addario strings, which cost nearly twice as much as my normal Rotosound Oranges. They'd even strung them and wound them so that all the tuning pegs were perpendicular to the headstock instead of just randomly turned. The action was high but that doesn't bother me as I prefer to bend the strings more than most people do. The pickups were at exactly the right level, just a few mm above the surround. The Dimebucker even has a custom surround so that you can fit any other pickup in it. There is nothing I can say except that this gutar came packaged as perfect, absolutely nothing was rushed or shoddily done.

This is a brand new model so guessing it was made early 2006. It's the third Razorback in history to touch British soil, so it's pretty rare. It's a full mahogany body with a set mahogany neck and fingerboard with 22 frets and Grover tuners. The neck has a triangular cross-section so it's easier to get all your fingers round it whilst keeping a relaxed position. It came with a black finish with silver bevelling round the edges (kinda like the stealth), but it also comes in green bumblebee, bone shards and a cool explosion finish. This isn't an USA model so you can't get the rusted metal or dixie flag finishes. The body is basically an ML, only the points have been extended then sawn down to sharp points, and I mean really sharp points. It also has two volume dials with a master tone control, which I don't think anyone ever uses on any guitar, with Dimebag style traction holes on the volume dials. The pickups it comes with are a Seymour Duncan SH1 in the neck and a Dimebucker in the bridge along with a liscensed floyd rose, though I'm thinking of adding EMGs to the mix instead. although I didn't ask for one it came with a case anyway, probably because Dean refuses to ship them without protection.

MasterMaster!!
    my mate has one..i'v played it many a time. Love it.. nearly as much as my dean from hell :p great guitar!!! 10/10
    SOAD_GOD
    Holy razors!!! wow this guitar rips ass! i might be getting one when me dad goes to the USA in december... i would upgrade the neck pickup to a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb, because its awesome, and keep the Dimebucker because i heard that it is HOT! Definitely EXPLOSION for me!!! Btw would a BKP Nailbomb sound any good in the neck?
    Razormouth
    I've added EMGs to it now and updated to an original floyd. Next step is the real diamondplate top, like the RTS Washburn. Oppinions?
    LarsHamfield
    check out this guitar and more at www.deanguitars.com and Trivium use them the GREATEST band ever chek that at www.deanguitars.trivium.php
    cleft11
    yeah trivium are good. my friend has just got this guitar imported from america, although you have to pay shipping it is much cheaper, and the set ups are of a higher standard. i believe it was approximately 650 with a free hardcase, inc shipping. i can say hands down that razorbacks are the best guitars i have ever played. peace
    OmegaShredz
    Hey if you guys are looking for this guitar for a decent price, I suggest checking out www.musiciansfriend.com. Really, that web site has some of the best prices you'll ever find for pretty much any of the gear you need. Free shipping on crap over 100 bucks, too. I got my Slime Bumblebee Razorback from them. You can get factory 2nd blem models (which just means it has minor cosmectic flaws, but is still brand new) for even cheaper. Oh and btw...yeah this guitar does kick major ass. The Dimebucker leaves something to be desired for REAL heavy metal fans, but it's good enough until you get the chance to replace it.
    colster6000
    The sexiest guitar ever made (although all the other paintjobs look better than this one, the silver/black two-tone is the sexiest thing man has ever created!!) I played one of these with this paintjob on the weekend at the guitar shop but they let me play it on a behringer amp and i just couldn't get a good metal sound out of the amp Next time i go to play it (There will be many ) ill get on a marshall stack and can't wait to see the sound it gives. I will get one when i can afford it!!!
    the_lil_rocker
    WOOW this thing is HOT!!! man i had my heart set on a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR but i looked around the website and this is WICKED man why r there so many awsome axes around...its guna be years before i deside
    Circle_Nine
    uh.. well alright review. Got a few problems with it though.. For some background I've played in one of the largest Heavy metal groups in upstate New York, Circle Nine. I've been playing guitar since i was 7 and I'm 16 now, so with nine years under my belt I'm quite positive I know what I'm talking about. I've had my razorback Explosion for a year. It was one of the first ones to be produced. Take the features down a little due to the fact that the bridge is a swivle set up. For the price they should have put in a genuine Floyd Rose instead of the cheap knock off. It stays in tune though so I won't knock it that much. By the way, the headstock takes some getting used to due to the fact that it is HUGE. It's my least favorite part of the guitar. All the ML's have ugly heads in my oppinion (yes key word oppinion , yours may differ.) As for sound, you get either two sounds. The Duncan in the neck is extremely warm, and very muddy. The Dimebucker is extremely tinny and very bright. I don't know what this kid was talking about but the Dimebucker doesn't give anywhere near the sound of EMG's when it comes to pinch harmonics. Your getting all of that from you amp sorry to say. If you play this through a Marshall (unless its a mode 4 or something) you aren't going to be too impressed. That's the reviewers Line 6 giving the harmonics. ***Another thing*** This guitar isn't loud or buzzy at all, if it is you obviously dont have your pickup set high enough. I don't care what amp your playing through its not loud enough to cause any problems for the most part. Action wise I get an insane ammount of string tapping from the guitar, the necks not warped or anything its just the fact that I play in Drop C. Standard tuning you should be fine but if you plan on dropping you will definetly have to raise your action a great deal. The finish looks great, I have a darker version since it was one of the first, but it looks a lot better then the lighter ones. I chipped it the first gig I play it, but if your not a band who is constantly in insane motion you should be fine. Decently hard paint so its somewhat strong, just don't hit anything (which is hard to do because it is an abnormally large guitar.) As for impression, yea its an eye catcher. That is an understatement. *****Just realize that one thing this review bugs the hell out of me on is the fact that it states you will become a guitar god or whatever if you buy this. Thats rediculous. It's a very difficult guitar to play and unless you know what your doing it is probably not the guitar for you. This guitar is for advanced players. Your guitar doesn't make you what you are. It is 10% guitar, 10% amp, and 80% player. -Jon Lead Guitarist (Circle Nine)
    Punk2Guitar
    the only thing i dislike , on the 'photoshopped' photo's the.. edge is black and in reality it's sprayed silver....so i think ill go for razorback explosion
    Kid Fisto
    i tried this one out at the store.....and OMFG it kicks soo much @$$....except for the upper wing which pokes you to no end.
    Aminos
    nice shape, nice sound and playing but i hate this paint job...
    rocker_girl619
    I;m not sure if to get this one or the dean from hell can someone please tell me which ones better
    omni_angel7
    I have that, man!just so you know. it far exceeds any expectations i had. any questions? ask me. omni_angel7@yahoo.com
    ibikinz
    i used to hat Razorbacks but this is something else! (in others words i love that particualr guitar)
    cowboyfromhell2
    this thing is so sick!!, i just got one a few months ago, i think it sounds great. dean guitars are amazing
    MAXMEDLOW
    does anyone know where you would be able to get custom deans and shit. like, i would love one with a custom paint job. please dont say i hav to go to america coz if i do i will just get the black and silver one. i think this one and the flame on look tacky. also. for anyone who has played both, would you reccomend the razorback or the razorback v. wb
    F8iscruel
    id like to respond to the circle nine guy saying that a guitar doesnt make u better .. which is true ... however ive learned that when u get a guitar with a provoking and inigmatic body u tend to go alot crazier and do things u normally wouldnt even try to do... like when i try the dean from hell at GC cause they leave the whammy bar in it i just go to town on it cause my razor back doesnt have one (cheap $400 model i think its good but i only got like 6 monthes under my belt i do no my stock pickups need to be changed ) and i also like to say that the razor back is prbly one of the most normal sized guitars ve ever played for myself (im tall and its huge but when i play it its like a Angus playing his SG it justs looks normal) but i digress. deans rock just cant afford their high end razorbacks unfortunatlly
    supermark
    Mupp wrote: I just fell in love in dean guitars, especally the razorback, it's the coolest guitar i've ever seen. it's a shame that Sweden don't got any dean dealer =( but i'll go to england(hopegully) this october or so. if not i'll go to to the us next spring to get one=)
    I know how to get one of these babies delivered to Sweden no problem. I just ordered one to Ireland. on www.thomann.de the sell to sweden too!! I cant wait to get mine prob in a couple of weeks
    cheames
    Are you all mad? SLIME BUMBLEBEE IS THE BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!! I want one sooo much...why am I poor?
    Zakk Wylde jr.
    I love the razorback. Dean r my favorite brand of guitar and the razorback is my favorite model.
    9_11_4
    MY GOD!! this is like my ultimate guitar..(wow, i just realsied that was the websites name.. woah) And it cuts people.. man i want one.. how on earth do i get on of these? the colour is perfect
    mrhappypants
    american-psycho wrote: still needs a major paint job, something darker
    ScreamingCheeto
    zerowing
    ScreamingCheeto wrote: i have a question about the licensed floyd on it. I heard that its the kind like a strat style whammy where you have to screw it in and it doesnt pivot freely like an original floyd. is this true? someone please help.
    it's a liscensed (that spelled right?) floyd rose tremolo so no it's not a strat style tremolo. almost all (pro) dean guitars have this unless it's a fixed/hardtail then it's not. but you should know that. simply put, it's a floyd rose tremolo.
    zerowing
    also,
    mrhappypants wrote: american-psycho wrote: still needs a major paint job, something darker Ummmm.....no. Why the hell would you want it darker? It's meant to stand out, ya jackass.
    d there's a "two-tone" paint job that makes the body shiny pitch black with silver edges. STILL looks awesome and eyecatching. btw go check their website for dealers on the net. www.deanguitars.com or to skip the intro www.deanguitars.com/home.php
    kaylium-666
    i got a dean stealth razorback, it does fuzz a lot but id avise strongly against the use of active emg's. in all honesty im not a big emg fan they sound too cold and metallic, ive use a duncan sh8-b invader in mine and its sweet as a nut now you can get any sound you could ever wish for. dimebucker pickups are good and all but if its chunkiness you want definitely look to things like duncan invader. plus the whole guitar is fully bound high grade mahongany its the perfect wood choice for an invader pickup, it totally sounded like a new guitar with the invader its a new animal. ive gigged it about 5 times now and when we start i just hit the strings open and get this huge thundering sound as i go into a first song intro and you just see peoples jaws hit the floor man its intense.
    SMK626
    i would have to say ESP is my top fav brand but Dean may have jus hit a good one to turn my thinking in another direction
    nahilly
    I've ordered one of these babies, will get my hand on it in around a month now. I'll let you guys know how a it is as soon as i get me mits around that neck. Sexiest guitar ever, other than the new confederate paint job
    Mupp
    supersolus666
    the only thing i dont really trust is the set neck because my friend has a guitar with a set neck and the neck fell off after a few years when he went to change the neck pickup
    jayscrivener
    I Just bought A explosion one of these i cant wait til it arrives i usually play jacksons but this guitar just got no. 1 in my collection
    bensredsox5
    well i want this guitar realy bad but does it realy look like it does on you profile the deep black with the koll glowing fadeuing green????? ive seen the guitars on those places they look likr that but when i looked at this one spot it didnt look like that not a realy dark black and a solid pee green ????? plzzz answere me back!!!!!
    bensredsox5
    Punk2Guitar
    i saw some pictures on google, and it didn't look as green as on the pics but it's still great i think :p hope mine will be that green :p
    LarsHamfield
    I WANT THIS GUITAR SOOOOO much its one of the nicest Guitars Ever I play A Bc Rich Warlock Platinmum Series And it kiscks ass But this guitar is So Unique Also Can someone tell me Stuff about Floyd Rose Trems i need one My Warlocks Trem is fuked but its not Floyd Rose can i still install A Floyd Rose
    unce_trev
    i think id hate sliding over the 12th fret . . . . youd keep thinking it was a real razor. or maybe its just me . . . .
    mul666
    rite ive seen this guitar in real life and its not as green as it looks there