Razorback Two-Tone review by Dean

Dean: Razorback Two-Tone

Purchased from: Dean Guitars

This instrument was given to me in early 2007 by Dean Guitars. It's a 2006 model that was gigged approximately twice every week for 3 years of it's life. As of now it's gigged about once every other week. As long as you're playing hard rock or metal, this guitar sounds fantastic. Anything else it's pretty bland or lackluster, although you can dial in a bluesy tone (I don't recommend this guitar for blues haha) from the Dimebucker by rolling the volume and tone knob back a little. The bridge pickup has a ton of feedback when playing live, but rolling the volume back on the guitar and turning the gain down on the amp helps out a lot. It still sounds pretty heavy even with low gain. The neck pickup is majorly "meh", it's nothing special. It doesn't sound great, but it's not horrible either. I've planned on swapping it out for awhile but never have. It's tolerable. That's about all I can say haha.

I play thrash, NWOAHM, and hard rock with this guitar. Sure it's a one trick pony, but it does that trick very well. I got this guitar under my first year of endorsement and it's served me very well. I love everything about the Floyd and I'm completely in love with the neck. I wish the horns weren't as fragile, but that's pretty tough to do with them being so thin. If this guitar were stolen, I would be pretty bummed about loosing it but I wouldn't try to replace it. There's better guitars for the money out there, but if you find one used I would definitely recommend trying it.

I gigged this thing extensively for the first 3 years that I owned it. I've abused it, dropped it, ran into things, spilled things, knocked over things, etc. I've done it all with this guitar. I'm telling you, the horns will chip as the finish is very fragile there. Pretty sure I chipped it the first night I played it live actually. Everything else on this has held up very well though. The tuners haven't shown any slippage or resistance, none of the hardware is showing any significant wear, frets have a lot of life left in them, etc. The electronics haven't screwed up on me, even after I dumped a whole cup of beer down the front of it. The selector Switch doesn't make scratchy noises or hang up, and the control pots work like they should. Now, the licensed Floyd Rose. I've played and repaired a bunch of guitars and this is the 3rd best OEM LFR in my opinion. First two being Jackson's design and Peavey. I've never had any trouble with mine. Sure, it gets dirty but it doesn't affect it in the slightest. I've swapped string gauges, brands entirely, and retuned it somewhat frequently without a problem. The knife edges still look great (and I play the shit outta this Floyd). Besides the word "licensed" on the base I really don't see any problem with it. I left it at home for college this past semester underneath my bed in the case. When I got home the tuning was still completely correct.

This instrument was given to me ready to rock. The action was low and comfortable, the intonation was perfect and the LFR was set up properly. I requested it to be put in Drop C with 10-52's (Thick on bottom, thin on top) and everything was right. I figured this thing would have a finish flaw on the silver edge or something, but I was wrong. Everything about the finish was perfectly done. All the lines on the outlining is straight, there isn't any overspray anywhere, no clamp marks anywhere, and the horns weren't chipped at all. The fretwork on this was perfect as well. There wasn't a high fret anywhere, the fret ends were properly dressed on both sides, and there isn't a loose one. My favorite part about the guitar? The neck, it's the most comfortable one I've owned. The V-shape fits my hand very well and doesn't cause my hand to hurt after a few hours.

-2006 Model -Mahogany Body -Set Mahogany V-shaped neck, 24.75" scale -Rosewood Fretboard -Pearl Razorblade Inlay -Licensed Floyd Rose Bridge -Grover Tuners -Black Hardware -Dimebucker Bridge Pickup -Dimebag Traction Knobs -Two Volume, One Tone, 3-Way Selector -Hardshell Case

shaofu0424
    you know, personally, and i might get bombed for this, but i think an old ml would be a better catch than one of these... had a friend who had one of these in the mid 80s (i dont remember the year of the instrument) and that guitar was kinda like a V/Explo with a 50s v shaped fender neck- VERY COMFY guitar... buttery action, rolled edges, nice frets, good sound... we used to sit in his room trying to pick out the bark at the moon album... good times... ... but to each their own... peace...
    Parkesie959
    AssassinPX3T wrote: only 22 frets that sucks
    Grimriffer
    Parkesie959 wrote: AssassinPX3T wrote: only 22 frets that sucks Yeah, because a guitar automatically sucks because it has less than 24 frets... *Rolls eyes* Yngwie Malmsteen plays a 21 fret Stratocaster - I don't hear him complaining. 24 frets would be badass and all, but they'd have to make a deeper cutaway and replace the neck humbucker with a single-coil sized humbucker (Like Dimarzio does) to keep the tone the same.
    not necessarily