Razorback V 255 review by Dean

Dean: Razorback V 255

Purchased from: Gearhounds

This will be quite a ambiguous section since I have only played this guitar threw a Fender and a Dean amp which aren't really designed for metal. But playing it threw a Fender gives it a chance to show off it's ability to play clean arpeggios and not just resort to disorted metal sounds. It can get bloody loud on like 3 it can overpower my ipod speakers when they are half way up. The sounds I have mentioned already, clean acoustic sounds to I hope heavy metal sounds which I have No Doubt in because of the EMGs.

This is a perfect match for any kind of metal and even stretches to clean. I've playing for 5 years now 2 of those classical and I own one Gibson SG that does not compare to this guitar in any way. I wish I had asked the Dean dudes at this years london guitar show what it can and can't do sound wise and played it myself to get the feel for it but lucky I did when it arrived. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again if I was still in the same price range. I love the EMGs and the folyd rose, I adore the explosion graphic even though slightly pixelated from a distance of about metre and more looks like a real explosion. The only flaw is the action but if it were lowered too low I would get unwanted buzzing. I was comparing it to an DJ600 and an Alexi Laiho sig both ltd, I didn't choose these simply because they were a sub division of another make and the graphic on the DJ600 sucks ass becasue of the bright red blood and the Alexi Laiho one had a shitty EMG-HZ and no pickup selector. I only wish that it was constructed in america then I would have absolute faith in it.

This is what I've been dreading, the Live playing aspect is always one which is excelled too much like people write it as if your smashing uit against panzer tanks, but if you just run around a but keeping near the front of the stage not next ot the amps it will be fine, but yet again the Floyd Rose may come a croppa and this meaning a would play with a back up. The harware seems fine but I'm still on my toes I watch everwhere I go but that's just beacuse it's new and I don't want to break it. The strap buttons are solid and look like there staying there. The finish does seem one that I could rub off by rubbing against walls and doors. But just keep it in your head that if you just keep an eyeball on it and don't do anything brave like Kurt Cobain and it will be fine.

The guitar setup was not too bad, apart from the action which is slightly higher than my Gibson SG but then when you playa string on that it starts buzzing so you really can't win. The Floyd Rose part of is fine (touch wood). But I've been wammy abusing for a fortnight and not noticed any faults and it all came pre-setup saving me a trip to town. It arrived in the end all well no faults but that was just me and maybe the planets were in place to give me good luck that day, so don't take my word for it that yours will arrive safely.

This certain guitar did not come with the year it was made in but was believed to be constructed in China yet the neck has Korea on the back. It has a 25.5. scale (hence the name 255 Razorback) and 24 frets. The body is of the sloid body variety. The body follows the style of the infamous Razorback V style. The bridge is a Folyd Rose. It has active electronics which are controlled by one volume knob, one tone knob and a three way selector. The pickups are active EMGs 81 and 85. The tuners are Grovers and I was fortunate to be given a free Dean hardshell case with the guitar.

ross1234
    Skootr wrote: I really love the white with black bevels but its only available on the razorback 7 or the standard V. I want EMG pickups, and thought about just buying the 7 string and removing the low B string while i get used to it, then putting the 7th string on and trying the new set up out... Anyone know of any new colourways for the standard 6 string 255 razorback for 2008???? Any useful feedback would be appreciated!
    dimeslime...although if you ask me its pretty ugly
    mosher117
    Well I got my Dean Dime Razorback V Explosion today for 699.99 thats almost 1400USD. Its great but it sounds shit through a 10 watt amp. Anyone know how often you would have to change the battery for the active pickups?
    metalhead887
    sweet n sour wrote: Skootr wrote: I'm almost done saving to buy one of these. I'm currently shopping around for the best price. Does anyone know how much import duty and tax costs to import one of these from the USA? Alot of the shops in the states include free worldwide shipping but when it reaches here HMRC will charge import duty and tax. same here mate, i cant wait to get my hands on one, but i just cant afford to buy from england and im scared of importing it haha, dont know how much import tax and stuff will be either..
    i have a import tax calculator downloading from sum site approximatley 659.18 im thinking aswell dat price is off a ebay music shop
    razorback275
    for the money you gona pay why not get a 255 7 its thier for the long run plus u might decide u need a seven string in the end
    deanplayer18
    dude i want this guitar so bad i cant wait to get it one day i want the razor back v skulls tho with emgs 81/85 that would be sick if anyone knows where u can buy it then let me know the places i see selling the skulls are all out of the u.s.
    sweet n sour
    ross1234
    got my razorback 255 the other day (not the Vversion, i personally prefer the razorback). it ****ing rocks. the EMG's are awesome, i much prefer them to the dimebucker. the neck took a little while to get used to especially since im used to playing with the neck on my jackson but now i am used to it, it feels way more comfortable. i swear when im not playing it, i'm staring at it
    afrohitman13
    i think that the big jb is right the 255 razorback is f***ing raw especially if you get it in the dimeslime colorway which i will be buying by the end of this summer
    ItWillDo
    Why does the introduction say "22 frets" when the 255 states 25.5" which means 24 frets?
    Josh1993
    i resently brought this guitar from my local soundcontrol, it is fantastic, its beautiful guitar to hold, play and look at. i would deffinatly recomend it for anyone, whos a guitar finatic and that has a few thousnd pound lying around!!!! a*****
    Skootr
    Skootr
    madxmodman
    I've had mine since late september. When I first got it, I had trouble with a few of the solder joints being cold, but a quick trip to Guitar Center, and that was taken care of. Plays BEAUTIFULLY, looks AMAZING, and sounds PERFECT. I must say however, the headstock is a wall magnet. It's VERY easy to chip this thing. Keep it well polished, and it'll be beautiful forever. (At least that's how it feels) BTW the V is 1000 times better than the standard razorback style Oh, and I paid $1370 for it with case and tax in TN. (LOL almost 10%)
    [B]C [R]ich
    you only paid 1119 for this effin thing? is that american? if so im gettin this thing tomorrow
    dodo1124066
    v's do not suck big jb is wrong this is like one of my favorite guitars big jb u probaly cant handle v's
    thirdeye_15
    tis nice, tho wen im buyin a guitar anywhere from $950-$2000 and up im reely hoping its an american made product, defiinetly not china of newhere but i do agree there nice the US ones.
    .:Darkness:.
    Dude its the exact same specs as the razorback except its a V. Plus V's look cooler than razorbacks
    EARNEST
    The Big JB wrote: i dunno why the **** they would put the V 255 up for a review, the razorback 255 is way better, who ****ing cares about the V, V's Suck!!
    i prefer V 255!
    EARNEST
    gonna buy explosion one. but not sure from which online shop on ebay cuz feel quite unsafe to buy from U.S. to Malta (
    The Big JB