Razorback V 255 review by Dean

Dean: Razorback V 255

Purchased from: A friend

I play metal, strictly metal. This guitar is wonders for that, the EMG 81 and 85's sound killer, perfect amount of crunch and power, although they sound kind of like EVERY other set of EMG pickups, too much the same. I have it hooked up to my Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt amp (Yeah, I know) which is hooked straight up to my PC, and it sounds awesome. No feedback at all, which is an absolute plus. Pinch harmonics are a breeze, divebombs are f--king awesome too. This guitar has sustain for DAYS, seriously; I blasted a power chord and walked into another room to get my headset, and came back and it was still ringing.

It looks f--kin' awesome, and plays awesome. Easily blows my Dean MLX and my ESP LTD M-100FM out of the water, without a doubt. If this got stolen, I would track the dude down and beat the crap out of him, but I probably would not replace it, just because I got it for only $300, and to buy a new one would cost me about $1000. Unless the warranty was still active. I hate the floyd rose, I never really liked them that much, but this one seems to be pretty solid for now. I love the graphic on it, and how fast the neck is, as well as how comfortable the V-Neck shape actually is. I just wish it had Blackouts rather than EMG's, but I can always replace them.

I only play at home, but I am sure this guitar would play great live. It is balanced pretty well, no dipping and such. I need to put strap locks on it, cause the strap buttons are kind of sh-tty, my strap slips every once in a while, but oh well.

When I got it, the action was a little too low (fret buzz) so I raised it a tad bit and now it plays great. The pickups were set to the perfect height from the body and strings. Very clean body cavities, very clean body as well. Only a tiny clear coat chip on one of the bottom fins.

This Dean Razorback V255 was made in Korea, in 2007. It has 24 frets, and plays great. It has a set Mahogany neck, with the Dean V-Shape neck, it fits very comfortably in my hand. The finish on it is absolutely gorgeous, all black, with an awesome Explosion graphic on the top of the body and headstock, and a clear coat on top for extra shininess. The Razorback V body style is killer looking, and it is really comfortable to hold sitting down, although sometimes the bottom fin stabs into my leg causing some discomfort. It's loaded with a Licensed Floyd Rose double locking tremolo bridge, and it holds tuning perfectly. The active EMG 81/85's are wired to a single volume and tone knob, with a 3 way toggle switch. The black nickel Grover tuners hold tuning very well, and holds even better with the floyd locking nut. My buddy gave it to me with the 5 year warranty still active, and a Dean hardshell case, and some shitty HOT topic pick.