Razorback V Standard review by Dean

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 8
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 8
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 8.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.4 (24 votes)
Dean: Razorback V Standard
1

Price paid: $ 600

Purchased from: eBay

Sound — 9
I play metal (death, black, heavy), and shred. And it fits it perfectly. The shape screams metal and the hardware delivers. I use just my Line 6 spider II with it and it sounds amazing. it's a little noisy but oh well what guitar isnt? It can go from deep tones to bright solos even has a decent clean setting. This guitar has a great sound for any kind of music from black metal to blues and jazz. I however am going to change out the pickups because they dimebucker lacks in midrange which I like for solos, and I'm not a fan of stock pickups but the neck is decent.

Overall Impression — 9
For my style this guitar is great, sweeping and tapping are a breeze as well as flat shred. I've been playing for awhile and own a custom Strat so I know what I'm doing. I wish I woulda asked about the floyd but I woulda changed it on another guitar anyways. And if someone stole I would kick their ass and take it back but I don't think I would buy another when I could get an ESP. I love the neck and how it looks but I'm not too much of a fan of the floyd or pickups. I compared this guitar with my custom Strat, an ESP Alexi Laiho, and a Ibanez I did a custom job on. I do wish it had a better floyd and different pickups with coil splitting but that's what custom jobs are for. I love it anyways it looks and sounds great and plays phenominally and I do quite recomend it if your looking at getting one but I recomend checking out ESP first then decide.

Reliability & Durability — 8
I do believe this guitar would withstand Live playing but I always have a backup (custom Fender). The hardware is decent but it's really not the best floyd I'm changing it to either a gotoh or a schaller the grovers are great though. As always I changed to Dunlop straplocks but the other strap buttons were just fine. I think this guitar would hold up very well Live granted you don't knock into to many things. I am however docking for the floyd cause it should be a lot better for the amount of money people spend on them if it was an ESP it would have an original floyd.

Action, Fit & Finish — 8
I had to set up the guitar when it came and I'm still having issues with the floyd. The pickups came perfectly adjusted not to close or far. The action is great but I lowered it a little anyways. The bridge is routed perfectly but what else do you expect from a dime series? The finish is extremely thin and chips easy but otherwise looks great and that happens with all v shaped guitars. THe pickup selectors a little noicy but everything else is fine. I do plan on changing the pots and floyd when I change the pickups though just to get a variety.

Features — 10
I just received this Razorback V Standard as a birthday present, and I love it. It was made in Korea but it's still awesome. 22 Frets. 24-3/4 scale length. Thin V shaped neck with small fretwire but is surprisingly easy to play. Mahogany Body and neck topped with a rosewood fretboard with the razor inlay at the 12th fret. Black finish. Passive Seymour Dimebucker, and stock Dean neck pickup. Grover Tuners and Licenced Floyd. With Dime Traction knob and 3way selecter. Came with hardshell case and allen wrenches.

42 comments sorted by best / new / date

    metalmaggot1991
    Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches-
    woof224
    your funny! and he played washburn, before dean bought them out
    He played dean before anyone brought him. Then duncan brought his pickups then Washburn brought his guitars then dean brought him off washburn
    genolk
    I believe that Andreas Kisser from Sepultura has a custom strat made for him. Unless you are going to say that Sepulutra is hip hop so they don't count... Also... there is nothing in the rule book which says that just because you play a lot of metal, doesn't mean that you can't also own a "non metal" guitar and play "non metal" songs when you feel like it. Peace brothers!
    Hetfield713
    COBHC728 wrote: metalmaggot1991 wrote: Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches- Schecter is the best brand for metal.
    yes but SCHECTER IS OWNED BY ESP and ESP is owend by Edwards
    razorback275
    lol dean is bet for metal are you all forgetting like the best gguitarist DIMEBAG DARREL WHO HIMSELF PLAYED A DEAN ! and just for the record the player makes the shred not the make of the guitar !
    miniindividual
    razorback275 wrote: lol dean is bet for metal are you all forgetting like the best gguitarist DIMEBAG DARREL WHO HIMSELF PLAYED A DEAN ! and just for the record the player makes the shred not the make of the guitar !
    your funny! and he played washburn, before dean bought them out
    miniindividual
    so it was more by chance that dime played dean guitars and i like that fact the dime is still making guitars and amps even though he is dead R.I.P
    Multiplayerjon
    metalmaggot1991 wrote: Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches-
    Stop making fun of the strat! I play Metal with a White guitar... just have black acesorys...
    The_V_Player
    Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches-
    The ReasonI didnt get and ESP is because i love the shape of the Razorback V. And I am ADDICTED to the V's. Now im gonna put an Invader and PAF Pro in it with an EMG afterburner in it and drop in an Origanal Floyd. And the Reason I play a strat is because i put a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and it sounds brutal perfect for Behemoth, COB and other metal bands
    ReefTECK
    and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches-
    I agree, but you know, John 5 (Marylin Manson) and Jim Root (Slipknot) BOTH play telecasters. and Have SIGNATURE telecasters.....I think they are such lame guitars though, not metal looking at all.
    ReefTECK
    And dude, why are you guys arguing about the "best metal guitar" I just want more guitars.... Gimme a Les Paul, a Razorback 255, a Jackson King V, an Ibanez S Prestige, any ESP, or a Schecter Hell Raiser...Just as long as I look metal and sounds metal, I would love any one of those guitars!
    Corpsegrinder7
    miniindividual wrote: so it was more by chance that dime played dean guitars and i like that fact the dime is still making guitars and amps even though he is dead R.I.P
    He's not, people are selling his name not his guitars. Dean have brought out so many guitars that just aren't dime like the union jack razorback. That's why I don't play dean they may make great guitars (in my opinion they could make better but they are still pretty good) but until they learn to respect the dead they can keep their dirty disrespectful hands away from my wallet!
    sam 3000
    He's not, people are selling his name not his guitars. Dean have brought out so many guitars that just aren't dime like the union jack razorback. That's why I don't play dean they may make great guitars (in my opinion they could make better but they are still pretty good) but until they learn to respect the dead they can keep their dirty disrespectful hands away from my wallet!
    this makes me sad but in a way i agree bet if u got a dean they are exelnt guitars bit each to there own i gess
    KoK_Guitarist
    Jackson,Dean and ESP are the best guitars out there. Schecter & BC Rich are ok Ibanez suck and overrated
    Quinj
    erm. . . Maiden play strats.. and their metal. . . therefore your comment is null and void
    COBHC728
    metalmaggot1991 wrote: Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches-
    Schecter is the best brand for metal.
    Shabalaba
    You can get a good metal tone, depends on your pickups and amp, stock strats arent high gain enough for metal but you could switch them out. Deans are based at metal players with the pointy shapes, ESP are also aimed at a more metal audience but why should he limit himself because you say so, Ibanez are far superior to both imo but thats me, stop having a go at people for not liking what you like, respect other peoples views a bit more.. Besides why do you care so much about him owning a strat anyway..
    banshee8831
    i think an authorized person must use his powers to make thia rewiev better.people in here talks in a rude language...
    joesyrnichenko
    i own a custom strat with a emg 81 and 60 with the afterburner gain boost. believe it sounds wayy more metal than most of the guitars ive ever played
    joesyrnichenko
    i own a custom strat with a emg 81 and 60 with the afterburner gain boost. believe it sounds wayy more metal than most of the guitars ive ever played
    Local666Union
    Quinj wrote: erm. . . Maiden play strats.. and their metal. . . therefore your comment is null and void
    fail
    Shaned
    i've played the standard razorback w/o the trem and i thought if i put in some EMGs or high gain pickups then it would've been crazy so i guess this model must be pretty damn good and i have an ESP and i do prefer ESP over Dean AND you can hotrod a strat for metal
    ginjaninja
    COBHC728 wrote: Schecter is the best brand for metal.
    no wai! teh best brand 4 teh metulz is gretsch!1!!eleven! brootalz!!
    Megadeth2011
    Hobbs333 wrote: Ibanez=Cheater guitars. Buy a Dean, or an OLD Jackson.
    Yeah. My Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT1 is perfect for everything from SRV to Children of Bodom.
    Shabalaba
    COBHC728 wrote: metalmaggot1991 wrote: Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches- Schecter is the best brand for metal.
    There is no BEST brand, its down to personal preferences, some brands aim at a more metal audience but its down to opinion, I dont like Schecters much
    koalabacon
    COBHC728 wrote: metalmaggot1991 wrote: Why doesnt he just buy an ESP? he seems to dislike the important things about this guitar and sounds like he would prefer an ESP (they are the best brand for metal :p)... and why in f*cks name does he have a strat if he plays metal!?! -eye twitches- Schecter is the best brand for metal.
    i like schecters alot, but they dont just make metal guitars. they make hollow bodies as well as strat and tele copies. i think esp, dean, or ibanez probably have some higher end metal guitars that are better then schecters.
    Xtremer.pt
    but they're not black/death/modern heavy, are they?
    not all modern kinds of metal need to be black, death or trash or underworld guys with a lot of tatoos and blood on theyr guitars... =\ metal is akind of music and not a religian, remember...
    the metal99
    "i own this that and one of those, so i know what i'm doing and will tell u what the right thing for everything is" clearly these people know all there is to know. LEARN ME HOW TO BE AS WISE AS YOU, MIGHTY AND KNOWLEDGEABLE OWNERS OF THINGS!
    Simple Jack
    I play in a metal coverband - silverchair, Smashing Pumpkins, a little Limp Bizkit too. My mother comes to all my gigs and says I sound great. And I play a Razorback V. You gotta hand it to Dimebag Darrell - what a great guitar. System Of A Down just ain't the same without him.