RC7x review by Dean

Dean: RC7x

Purchased from: SamAsh

I play heavy metal, and this thing sounds MEAN. The 707's sound pretty good, but I think I am going to swap out the one in the bridge for the 81-7. I'm running it through a Peavey Valveking halfstack and it has such a punishing sound to it. I modded it to accommodate two 9v's and that made it sound even more clear and gain heavy. There is only one volume and no tone, so you don't have any other controls to mess with. It is a little noisy, but nothing a noise suppressor can't fix.

This guitar is great for any shredder Who wants to play a sick, fast, and ridiculously awesome 7 string. I absolutely love this guitar. I don't think I would have been half as happy if I had picked one of the other 7's I was originally looking to get. If it were stolen I would track them down and beat them senseless with a brick, and if it were lost I would get a new one as soon as possible. I was stuck between this, an Agile, and an LTD. And I am glad I chose this one. If you are looking for a 7 string to shred on, this one is a keeper.

This guitar is pretty light, and I think it will last me throughout my upcoming shows and studio work. It has an OFR7, so I'm not concerned about it going out of tune all the time or anything. But I never gig without a backup. You just never know what might happen. But I really think this guitar is going to last a long time without the finish peeling off or my floyd just turning into dust.

Before I modded it or adjusted anything, the guitar set up from the factory was actually pretty good. It came with DR strings. And after I changed the strings and adjusted the action, there is no fret buzz and the action is super low. I am pretty picky when it comes to finish and what not, and I have to say that this guitar is flawless. Not one scrape, scratch, or flaw in the finish. I was actually really impressed, after hearing that Dean's QC hasn't been the best lately.

This is the metallic black version of Rusty Cooley's signature model. It isn't the ridiculously expensive USA model with the outlandish graphic, but it still plays like a dream for a Korea made Dean. It is an alder body 7 string with a bolt on, super skinny neck. Its 25.5" scale with no inlays minus the signature one on the 12th fret. On the website it says it has an ebony fretboard, but it looks like rosewood to me. It came with active EMG 707's and an Original Floyd Rose 7. One volume nob and a three way slider switch. It's frickin light as hell. I'm used to LEs PAul bodies, so anything other than that feels light as hell lol. It came with a case, which was ultimately the reason I decided to purchase this over a few other 7 string choices. The massive cutaway makes reaching the 24th fret on the 7th string a breeze, its almost too easy to play. It has everything I was looking for in a 7 string

skedadleboarder
    lol no. i really am liking the guitar the more i play it.
    rammslica
    unfortunately left handed version of this guitar cost £2300. and guess what, im left handed...
    The Rooster34
    I haven't been to impressed with Dean lately and I was in Guitar Center looking for a 6 string for alternate tunings when I played this guitar. I was going to wait and get an 8 string for low playing. But when I started playing this guitar I went head over heels for it. I love everything about this guitar.
    burning247
    I own this exact same guitar, I agree its amazing. Since I bought it in '09 I have modded the Floyd w/ an FU block fixed the pickups and followed basic protocol when setting up any double locking trem. I have been working on it for a week or so now trying to get the proper set up. Its difficult, however this guitar is a fire breather, and it has effortless playability once set up properly. It would have helped if I could get my hands on the full spec. sheet. Unfortunately finding the holy grail might be easier.
    SilverSpurs616
    I'm still eyeing up this guitar almost a year after seeing it.. I'm aching to get a 7-string, it makes so much sense to me and I think it would really suit my playing. I've narrowed my choices down to this (in white), and RG1527 and an Agile Interceptor- they all cost around 700 (though the import costs for the agile make up most of that price lol). For the money, this one definitely seems the best buy!
    g27dude
    skedadleboarder wrote: saint_berzerker wrote: 1000 bucks for a Korean guitar? Please tell me you're using Aussie money? lol no. i really am liking the guitar the more i play it. ironmaiden1313 wrote: Oosh. wrote: playpsp8 wrote: why would the pickups be placed in such a weird position? (i`m guessing to get a unique sound or to look different) Correct me if i'm wrong, but the top part of the pick up slanted towards the neck gives the low strings a more middy sound. The bottom half slanted back gives the higher strings a bit more treble it's because of the extra cutaway space they had to slant the pickup and the extra cutaway is absolutely awesome. i dont care how it looks, cuz when you play it, you can play all the way up the 24th fret on the 7th string and it is so freaking comfortable. its ridiculous. i love it.
    Yeah man. It's all about playability. Looks are not that important to me as a guitar player anyways. You could have the coolest looking guitar in the world but if you can't play I don't give a shit
    phantasma667
    Na in the shop i work at in Western Australia we have it going for 1800 down from 2400 AUD, but even though it is a tad pricy it is definetly worth it, no lie. i mean in my top 10 seven strings this is number two, even above the US version. My number one being a Dean MKH seven string but only because matt heafy is my idol and i am a one eyed trivium fan but yes i would recomend this guitar to anyone with enough money to buy it haha
    skedadleboarder
    DrButterfunk wrote: How does this compare to a Schecter Loomis FR?
    my other guitarist is getting the loomis. i didnt like it. the neck was too thick for me. the one on the dean is alot thinner, IMO
    richard_edwards
    Personally, I'd go for the Agile, I nearly did but then realised that the money I'd saved up for the Agile (500) would be best suited sitting in my bank account as a safety net. Sad, but true. I did consider this though, but it was out of my price range.
    slashe50
    Kyose wrote: This is the metallic black version of Rusty Cooley's signature model. picture fail?
    Lmao, yeah. The guitar is white.
    Unispex
    slipknot_420 wrote: Sorry but this guitar looks like crap, prob sounds good though just ugly
    This guitar is pretty ugly.... I'm sure it plays/sounds great though.
    ironmaiden1313
    it's because of the extra cutaway space they had to slant the pickup
    Kyose
    This is the metallic black version of Rusty Cooley's signature model.
    picture fail?
    Oosh.
    playpsp8
    Nick184
    NickAgueci wrote: That looks/sounds awesome. I just bought a "Dot on Shaft" guitar and it's way to hard to reach the 22nd fret.
    I thought you couldn't get agile in the UK?
    NickAgueci