USA Soltero review by Dean

Dean: USA Soltero

This guitar is all I need to go from rock to jazz, even country. This is such a good sounding guitar that I have partially eliminated my effects. Use to use a Boss GT-8 all the time but now I am just having a blast hooking straight up to my Gobson GA30RV combo amp. That's another review in itself. What an amp and what a guitar combination. still love to use the Boss GT-8 because the the great effects and amp modeling options. Oh, these Soltero's have more sustain than the word itself. I mean it just sings baby, just sings.

I play rock from '80s-'90s. Ted Nugent, Zakk Wylde's early Ozzy years, Queensryche, ZZ Top. Guitar has to growl and moan like a pleased woman and this puppy does it all for me. I use it exclusively with the discontinued Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV class A 30 watt monster of an amp. Also have a Steinberger, Fender Strat and Dean HardTail. Those two Deans are the finest guitars I have ever owned and it's about time Dean made a single cut high-end model and they now have finally done it. really, it's the best guitar I have ever held in my hands and I have played through some awesome pauls and PRS's. I heard about this through a friend Who has a couple of Deans and I went to their site to look at it. I was sold on the design from the get-go. After looking long and hard a authorized Dean USA dealer I heard about in my area got them in. Wow, I just about dropped to my knees when they opened the black leather case and those lights hit that beautiful top. I picked it up and looked at it about 20 minutes and said "let's do it". That's when the fun started!

This guitar is as well made as any in any custom shop in the country. It is worthy of a "Private Stock" rating without that private stock pricing. I think retail for this axe is around $4, 900.00 but the dealer I frequent is one cool cat and sold it to me at a steal of a deal price. All hardware is top notch. Finish is thick enough to stand up and thin enough to allow for total tonal flow as I like to say. Guitar can't be encased in glass, gotta breath a little to allow that tone to be heard.

The Dean Soltero was setup from the factory about as well as you would want it. Everybody like things a little different but from a professional setup standpoint it was about perfect. Pickups adjusted just right. Bookmatched top is unreal. No flaws in this guitar at all. I only with I could have enough green to buy two but christmas is around the corner and I really want one in another color for those evening on stage where you want to change things up a little.

New model from Dean for 2007. Made at the Dean USA custom shop. 22 Frets, Dean "V" neck, ebony fingerboard, Grover tuners, solid body single cut deasign with mohogany body and neck with a beautiful 3/4" maple top. reminds me of PRS 10 tops a decade ago. Awesome flame. Cherry sunburst. Made to look similar to a Les Paul but with it'sunique body cut running down almost into the pickup area it's most certainly not a Les Paul. This is Dean all the way. The inlay in the fingerboard is abalone with sterling silver. Almost glows in the dark it's so well done. Pickups are a custom ordered Dimarzio made model specifically for the Soltero. Tone Pros bridge.

Carlo95
    After playing tha heck out of my Soltero SL the last couple of weeks and loving tha _ _ _ _ out of it I am now looking for the USA Soltero. The reason being is that I find myself just craving a different color after I saw a bad-ass color scheme over at Pantera. Yes, and it plays as good as it looks. It's a Vintage Cherryburst that has just a hint of red flowing into the black. Classy guitar. I really think it's beautiful. I'm telling you that if it's still there by late next month I will be wearing one like a Christmas tree wears lights come Christmas morning. That vintage cherryburst is unreal, I mean soooo unreal. I like the fact there is no binding and that ebony board just flows around the face so smoothly. I use to think those bird inlays on the PRS's were awesome but that Dean inlay is totally killer. Never seen anything like that before. I need to call them up and ask them what that's all about. It is an inlay that is comprised of abalone and sterling silver meshed together. Stunning and not ostentatious in the least. Nothing like it out there. Wish me luck on this one. Until then the Soltero SL rules.
    gslinger1
    I gotta say that they look good. I also played one and to me paying $3000.00 for it is not worth it!
    Carlo95
    Went over to my local Dean dealer on Saturday and tried out the new Dean Soltero. I honestly found it to be the finest custom grade guitar I have ever put my hands on but I could not bring myself to putting down the kind of money necessary to take one home. To my estonishment they told me about the new Soltero SL which is Dean's Japanese built copy of the USA custom shop model. Same custom DiMarzio pickups, wood, etc... I just wrote a review on it under the Soltero SL review page. For anybody wanting the same darn thing in a guitar that will cost $1,000.00 less you better try one out. I only mention it because a lot of people who read the USA Soltero reviews won't ever be able to afford a $3,000.00+ guitar. I went over to Pantera Guns & Guitars. Nice guys and Dean crazy fools. Bought the Cherryburst model they showed me after playing it just a few minutes. Such a nice guitar. Thank you Dean! Great job taking a custom grade guitar and making it affordable!
    Nicholas03
    Wow, I could not wait to pickup another one but this time it was a little different. $1,000.00 different! I just posted a review on the new Soltero SL model that just became avalable. I picked this Thoroughbred up from Pantera this Saturday. My god is this a guitar design that needs to be aquired for one's stables. It is a replica of the USA model without the high price. Basically the same guitar but made at the high-end Japan facility so cost is significantly less. Hope you can read the review when it posts.
    Nicholas03
    Please make note that the details above next to the picture of the Soltero specify that the pickups in the Soltero are Seymour Duncan....they are not, they are actually DiMarzio custom wound pickups made specifically for the Soltero. I spoke at length to Josh in the Dean custom shop and that's what Dean "Z" specifically wanted for this guitar. They were matched up to gain the most out of the chambered body and wood configuration. I am a Seymour Duncan fan but I will tell you that he knows what he's doing here and it is a choice setup that I would never have tried. Good for them! I wish I had a way of posting pics of mine but I am not sure how to do it. You can go to pantera's site and see one of them they have in stock, I saw it the other day while visiting and it's really a beautiful top on that one. Well, got to get back to practicing some Damn Yankees tunes/licks with this babe.
    Nicholas03
    Guys, I paid a little over $3,000.00 for her. For some reason it posted as 3. Sorry about that. The folks at Pantera gave me an unreal deal. Wow, I was hitting some great pinch harmonics with this puppy Sunday evening. I have never been happier than I am with this new axe. One of the guys above listed this as being just another form of Les Paul. If he gets his hands on one and he puts some honesty into his evaluation he will be posting some rave reviews on this guitar just after the two meet.
    .fallen
    dunno, the guy put three, but it could be dollars, euros, pounds, yen, llamas
    Shinozoku
    ldnovelo wrote: i like how dean guitars play, they and ESP are the finest guitars i've played, but what i dont like about dean, is that only the 255 series, vendetta series and some signature models have 24 frets, and most low-mid end guitars only have 22, thats the only complaint i have about dean. if they only made more guitars with 24 frets...
    And OFRs.
    cashewchaching wrote: Completely original? So they take the cutaway a half inch further. It's still an LP with Dean on the headstock. That's just like what Ibanez's RGs did to Fender's Stratocasters. They sharpened things up, and called it a new guitar. Man, there is nothing new under the sun.
    Actually, the "waist" of the guitar is narrower too. It's also got that part that sorta "overlaps itself" on top, which I think is kindof neat.
    cashewchaching
    dimebagisgr8
    dean may be ripping off gibson but that guitar looks so much better than any gibson and i bet it plays better than gibsons i would buy if i could afford one but hey im happy wit my guitars
    ldnovelo
    athlete1
    ^ Disagree and agree.It seems they are straying a little from their quality guitars they are known for,but for the most part they seem to be almost as good as they were.About 75% I would say.And yeah,I see this guitar as nothing original.LP rip off for sure,but at least a good one.
    ItWillDo
    ^ Any brand is able to succesfully rip off a Gibson. It's not like Gibson actually tries to make quality guitars these days.