V Baby review by Dean

Dean: V Baby

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Ok, I'll start with the bridge pickup, distorted, great for metal, but if you want really heavy stuff you need to rely on an amp/pedal. The neck pick-up is very warm and round sounding, IMO good for hendrix or Metallica solos, again quite distorted. And when you select both you get a good sound for Black Sabbath. Now my style is varied from blues to metal, punk to jazz, I need a versatile guitar for my playing, this guitar suits a lot of stuff I play but the cleans sound distorted, once I had a friend say to me "I thought I just turned OD off?" (this was on a mini Marshall MS-2) the cleans are ok with a good amp or in use with a decent pedal, but with an amp that isnt to good or doesnt't have much range in controls you won't be able to get a nice clean from it, Thin Lizzy's jailbreak osunds terrible for the most part if you haven't got decent control over the distortion. However this is good for mostly anything, but if you ned versatility, go Strat, les paul or something simarlar.

I've noted the music I play, this is perfect for most of it, but cleans can be dodgy without the right equipment. I did own a couple of crappy amps but they buckled, the main amp I use is a 30 watt Marshall at my lesson and this sounds great on it, I am soon to own a DigiTech 'screamin blues' pedal though. If I knew more about guitars before I bought this I would've probably got something else but this is stll an amazing guitar for the price. If this were lost/stolen I'd probably get an Ibanez S470DXQM as I'm getting one of them for christmas anyway but I'd definately conisder another one. What I love about the guitar is, the shape, the neck, the headstock and the sound it has for metal, you can't go wrong playing a bit of sabbath on this. I chose this mainly 'cause it was the best in my local guitar shop that I could afford, and I love the V shape. There is one thing I wish it had, the jack on the top of the body rather than digging into your leg, if you want to get a V, I suggest a bigger sized one because the size hurts when sitting.

This guitar will with stand quite a bit, I've had it for about 2 going on 3 monthes, I haven't badly dropped it yet but I have minorly damaged it and it's still holding up perfectly, no chips or dents just a small bit of the finish has worn. This already has lasted a very energetic live show, (which involved someone running face first into an elevator door) the strap locks wont buckle on you either.

This guitar was set up really well when I first bought it, I've had to change the pick-up height and I only very slightly had to change the action, other than that, nearly perfect, the left dot on the 12th fret was slightly cracked when I bought it though, it doesnt't effect my playing so I'm fine, the jack is a bit oddly cut by the looks off it too 'cause the jack plate seems loose, I've tried screwing it 'back on' but nothing, it must be a slight mistake on the baby Vs or something, it doesnt't effect sound or playing though.

This guitar was made in china, I'm not sure on when though, possibly 2005. It has a 22 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Basswood body, in black. It has a very small body (hence the name) but it's still very comfortable for standing up with, sitting down can be painful if your legs are big. It is string-thru body and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, the pick-ups seem to be Dean made humbuckers, in black, along with that there is a 3 way selector, 1 volum and 1 tone knob, I'm pretty sure all the hardware is made by Dean, except the tuners, I'm unsure on what make (die-cast according to the other review) and they hold tune pretty well, no accesories were included.