V X review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Dean: V X

Price paid: C$ 271

Purchased from: Axe Music

My style of music isn't really all over the place so I would say alt/hard rock kinda stuff and this guitar can get the job done. I am using this through a Morley Bad Horsie II and Seymour Duncan Lava box to an Orange Crush 30R. The sound from this guitar isn't really special or anything but it's not really noisey or anything like that but the sound isn't really making me jump around and it's made of basswood so the tone isn't to great either but this thing wieghts nothing which is really nice on the shoulder. This guitar has variety I suppose but I wouldn't really know cause I mostly play similar stuff.

This guitars looks matchs my style of playing cause I make it matche my styler of playing. This guitar has no character tone to it it sounds like erine ball 10's going through cheap pickups(for now)so unless your really looking for a budget V(like I was) or plan to mod a guitar and want a it to be V shaped or love Dean necks get a different guitar. I have been playing for about 2 and half years and also own a Californa guitars Strat ripoff. If this guitar were stolen I would but somthing like a Ibanez Jetking (I like the look and sound) or a higher end Dean V Model cause I hear those are pretty sick.

This guitar withsatnds me jamming with my friends and bumping and knocking it all the time so I assume it would withstand Live playing no problem as long as you have inspected it before the gig to make sure the eletronics are all good. Onne plus for people gigging might be that this guitar has no weight to it that I can even do guitar spins with it so that would be sick at shows too. The hardware it's pretty bad when you first get this guitar so get this thing setup right and everything will last or get a different guitar cause I really only still have this cause I am fond of the neck. I swapped the strap buttons out for strap locks so I never tried out the ones coming with it but I am guessing they wouldn't be very good judging form the rest of the stuff on this guitar. I wouldn't use this at a gig without a backup because even though I ahev nevered played a gig I know you must alawys have a backup guitar with you at a gig. The finish is just black so finger prints show up on this guitar well so I am alawys wiping it down but that doesn't really bother me but the finish wears if you use it a lot but I like that old bsuted up guitar look gives it character

Out of the box this guitar was great for one reason which is why I am gonna mod it to hell insted of getting a new guitar the neck on this thing was made for me I love it so much it's just the perfect fit in my hands and the frets are just the perfect size. I had to tweek the action a bit but after that it was just butter in my hands. The neck pickup was off when it got here but I fixed that and in the end I liked the sound it made better when it was off and messed up. The Switchs knob was so loose on this guitar and wouldn't ever stay on I get took it off cause it was getting so bothersome and the input jack gets kinda loose some times but I fixed that(what can you expect it's made in china) the eletronics were very bad egtting ehre so if you don't know what your doing with a guitar I wouldn't get this. The only thing egtting this part a seven is the neck is my soul mate.

Made in 2006 in China. 22 frets, 24-3/4" Scale. The body is basswood and the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. It's just a black finish with some Shine to it. It is the great shape possible to me a V shaped guitar with a tune o matic bridge and passive eletronics in a HH config. The pick ups are stock but I am gonna swap them for some Duncans at some point. The tuners are grover and there way better than the ones on my Strat. Came with all the little things they alawys give you but no gig bag and finding a case that fit's a V shape and Dean headstock is impossible.

J.J.G.
    kranoscorp wrote: Guys, as a tip, don't trust reviews on sites like Guitarcenter and Musician's Friend. The reviewers often just recently purchased the instrument and posted "OMG I jus got dis geetar an it is teh besht geetar EVAR!" They do not give the instrument an unbiased review.
    i'll second that. Its the first wise comment I see. Anyway this guitar isnt suited for intermediate players and the pickups lack bright and output. This thing cant stay in tune while on 2 steps down and lower, even with proper set up, so forget about the slipknot stuff + is noisy with high distortions like the boss metalcore or metal muff. the string tension also tends to be a litlle stiff.
    XzX_Patrick_XzX
    Ive had this guitar for a couple months now and its a pretty solid axe. I see alot of people saying its not good for metal but thats because your probably playing through a spyder 2 or an mg. If you cant get a good metal sound out of this guitar then you evidently cant EQ worth a shit. The pickups arent the best n the world but they sound pretty damn good for stock pups. The neck feels amazing. A little thicker than I'm used to (Ibanez wizard II) but its very comfortable. The body, being basswood, is pretty light and the whole guitar is very well balanced. I got this guitar from a guy i work with for $75 and thats a steal. All I had to do was make a couple solders because his kid took it apart and it was ready to go. All in all this is a good guitar and i would give it a 7. I would gig with it as a switchout because my Ibanez RG4EXQM1 steals the show, but its still a great guitar. My advice to someone thinking about getting one = go to guitar center, play it and form your own opinion.