V X review by Dean

Dean: V X

Price paid: € 248

Purchased from: http://www.thomann.de

This guitar is all the way metal, yet can be as versatile as anything. By the looks of this guitar; one would want to make the first note through the Drive channel. No matter the ammount of gain, the notes are always "tidy" and very rich no matter how fast! It also has the Bridge pick-up closer to the Bridge than most guitars; this gives a tighter sound and clearer harmonics. Yet; sounding it through the clean channel, it sounds just like an acoustic. One can even hear the "scrapy" sounds that you hear when you run your fingers up the wound strings making it very versatile. My amp setting is either: gain:10 treb:1 mid:10 bass:1 (gives a kinda Megadeth sound) or: gain:10 treb:10 mid:1 bass:10 (gives a very brutal sound yet lets the harmonics scream and sustain) and through Bridge pickup I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp. I sometimes run this guitar through a Behringer HD300 distortion (I mostly prefere to use amp Drive channel because my philosophy is that the less stuff between pickups and amp speaker is better for sound) which still gives out "tidy" notes even with the 2 full distortion knobs and a full bass boost (all on the pedal) but that might be more brutal than some players might want. I once ran this pedal through a DigiTech Bass Multi Chorus and it sounds good aswell even if it's a bass pedal. This guitar doesn't have a whammy-bar; but I managed to create the effect by pressing on the strings behind the Bridge dus raising the pitch but i don't recommend doing it because it can be strain on your bridge. I admit that in a couple of years I'll Switch to Seymour Duncan Invaders SH-8's, but for a couple of years I'll see what juice i can get out from these puppies because although not much of a name but they are good too.

Overall, this guitar is great. Great tone, playability, looks and price. TONE: Versatile that can play extreme metal with very high distortion (infact, they were made famous by the tech death metal band Nile), blues, and acoustics. I mostly sudjest this guitar for metal or hard rock mostly. PLAYABILITY: This guitar has a comfortable neck, easily accessable controls, and the frets are easy to bend on. LOOKS: One word: WOOOOOOOOW!!!! I mean if you look at the thing; one can notice that the Dean logo on the headstock is kinda' an inversion of the body and the boomerang-shaped tailpiece. Plus that headstock is metal all the way, using your immagination you can see that it looks like the metal-on hand sign. PRICE: The price (248) was a great deal for this guitar and serves my metal style very well. Great metal looks, and crushing metal tones. Basically, other than the VERY minor faults, buying this, you'll be playing a brutal metal monster!!

This guitar can handle anything: from the quiet in a studio, to the commotion at a venue. it's heavy duty yet the tone stays solid even though it doesn't have locking tuners or locking top nut. The hardware (fret-wire & bridge) seem very heavy duty. I mean if they can all withstand my very disgusting sweaty hands without corroding; then they're good. When tuning your guitar the tune changes very fast. When playing live you can drop-tune quickly for songs that go out of your usual tunings without needing an other guitar. Although it's good to have an other guitar with thicker strings for the more drastic drop tunes (eg: from standart E to drop A) or a 24-fretter with a floydrose Bridge for the shred.

This guitar was set up with PERFECT: intonation, straight neck, low action and perfect pickup height. Although this guitar had a lot of sustain, I really improved it by increasing the action and pickup hight, and still the intonation didn't vary much. The only little flaw in this great instrument is that if switching pick-ups, one can hear a crackle through the amp. but that really doesnt affect me because I only use the Bridge pick-up. At first the bolt-on neck is a little uncomfortable for the 21+ frets but you'll get easily used to that

My Dean was made in China in 2010. The features of this guitar are: -Basswood body in the shape of a Gibson Flying V. -Finished in black. -Unfinished 24.75" mahogany neck with the V headstock fitted with grover tuners. -Rosewood fret-board with 22 medium-jumbo-sized frets with Dot inlays. -Tune-o-matic Bridge with string-thru design. -2 Dean passive humbucher pickups -X1 master tone knob -X2 volume knobs -X1 3-way selector Included accessories: -A cable -allen key for adjusting the trussrod -fitted .009 set of strings The only thing that I'm against is that it doesnt come with a gigbag. I still haven't found one that fits which is a shame. One could buy a hard-case but it costs almost as much as the guitar. But anyway it's still a great bargain.