Vendetta 1.0 review by Dean

Dean: Vendetta 1.0

Purchased from: Ace Tones North London

I like to listen to all types of rock and like wise I like to play all types of rock music but most probably it is metal that I play the most. I consider my self a riff heavy person. Not really good at soloing and/or shredding. I use a VOXAD30VT amp with no effects pedals even though I own an Ibanez DS7 Distortion pedal. From experience the clean channel is by far the most impressive as the bridge pickup having a high treble tone to it which sounds quite rich and both bridge/neck and the neck pickup has a bass tone. Also I think it's important to note that there was little or no feedback when the settings were maxed out on the clean channel. On the other hand though, the distortion sound from this guitar is bit of a disappointment. The pickups seem unbalanced while playing with distortion and the low E String easily overpowers the rest of the strings when a cord is strummed, although this maybe common it's hard to get a clear sound compared to other pickups such as EMG's or INF's. Also as one might expect there was a considerable amount of feedback on max settings, something that I don't get with my Ibanez. As far as sound variety goes, I don't think the guitar has much to offer unless you have extra accessories because the tone knob is useless unless it's turned all the way up it and the slightest adjusting anticlockwise will just make the whole sound so dull it virtually makes you sick.

Aside from this newly acquired guitar I own an Ibanez 321MH where stock pickups (INF3 and 4) were replaced with EMG's 81/85 (Zakk Wylde set) and I've been teaching my self to play since September 2006. I adore my Ibanez, the more I played it the more I love it and I still prefer that over the Dean. I haven't had much experience with guitars so most of the review is in comparison to the Ibanez. The Dean VN1F might make a great 1st guitar especially if you're aiming for a low budget one with a tremlo but if you are considering to buy a 2nd guitar I would recommend you trying it out and think about it before you Rush in to it especially if you consider your self a beginner. That said, I will most likely upgrade the pickups over time hopefully (Bareknuckle Warpigs) so the guitar sounds better. All in all the Dean Vendetta 1.0 with Floyd Rose is a decent looking guitar allowing comfortable playability for a low price tag of 150 what's more? It's a Dean.

The reliability and durability is a question that can only be answered over time but I wouldn't recommend playing Live with it without another backup guitar. From early experience I can say that; The tuners look durable but despite their looks they are loose and they de-tune pretty easily. I played it for about an hour since purchase and setup and I had to tune about 3 or 4 times. However, the knobs and switches do seem quite durable and hard which gives you plenty of opportunity to fine tune. Hardware might be durable but dependability is a question I leave for your self to answer from your own experience, but that said I don't really play live or any thing so it's not so bad that you can't Live with it.

Despite looking pretty overall, I don't think it was set up very well prior to release because as mentioned before the pickups seemed unbalanced, the tuning locks were loose and the strings were not tuned. Also I feel that the finish on the guitar has been rushed, there are paint marks all around the knobs and the body paint is incomplete as you can see the natural colour of the wood where the neck and body meets. The action on the guitar is pretty much the average of what you'd expect from an electric guitar. The fretboard is multi coloured showing it's natural looks with the wood fading towards the higher frets. The neck is pretty straight forward and feels comfortable and the higher frets are easily accessible and the neck is thinner on the top and rounded pretty well allowing people with smaller hands like mine to wrap around quite nicely. The fret wires are quite short in height which makes the strings scratch the frets quite easily but it makes it easier to get a cleaner sound for beginners. When you lift the guitar holding from either end the weight of the hardware and electrics makes the body feel unbalanced, but despite that the body has a thin shape to it and it rests pretty nicely while playing sitting down.

After seeing it at the shop all I thought to my self was I want it! I then messed about with it for a while and since I was looking to a get a guitar with a floydrose I thought this would be the perfect opportunity; I then went home to think about it for a while and then decided to Rush back to the shop and buy it. Which I did for a better deal than what was first offered. The guitar I bought of course is a Dean Vendetta 1\.0 with FloydRose Double Locking Tremlo which the box neatly names it as Dean VN1F. This new addition makes my 2nd guitar while my Ibanez 321MH being my first guitar. It has a Basewood body with a laminated finish, adjustable neck with tools and instructions to adjust along with it, Die-Cast tuners, bolt-on construction and rosewood fingerboard with 24 Large frets. The case was the usual cardboard case rapped in plastic and it had no instructions or information about the guitar except for the instructions on how to adjust the neck so it's hard for me to tell when it was made except that it was made in China. For electrics, it has 2 Passive High Output Dean humbucking pickups along with a 3-way toggle switch and a volume and tone knob. Accessories include neck adjusting tools, an extra spring and a lead cable.