Vendetta 4.0 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 09/14/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Vendetta 4.0
The Vendetta 4.0 sports "neck-thru" construction with the eye catching razor wire inlay running the length of the fretboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 8.3
 9.1
 9.1
 6,794
reviews (3) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Vendetta 4.0 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2007

Features: I purchased the Vendetta 4.0 in Tiger Eye in September of last year. I am very pleased with the guitar, and it sounds great. It has two good quality humbuckers that produce a good tone and look great on the guitar. With the two humbuckers, there's a 3-way tone switch which is easily accessible between the billeted volume and tone knobs. The guitar has a mounted bridge with a string-through design. The strings are easy to run through the holes, and do not catch. It has 24 jumbo frets, but the 22nd-24th seem to be a little short of being correct tone-wise, but not much is played past the 22nd fret, and it is barely noticeable. The headstock is great looking, and the tuners work without resistance and don't stress the strings like other guitars I've played. // 8

Sound: The Vendetta 4.0 plays well no matter what I play. From System Of A Down to the Christian music I play at my church to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, it all sounds great on the Vendetta. Very full sound, but also bassey which sounds amazing in drop D/C and with heavy distortion for things like Metallica and SOAD. The frets came in perfect condition, so bends don't tremble or anything. I've played it regularly at the local music shop here (where they are very nice, and let customers play all the guitars and bring their own to test new amps). I myself play it on a small Marshall with a Flanger, a Boss Volume pedal, and a Boss Distortion/Overdrive pedal. There is no noise other than the noise you make. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was exactly where I personally prefer it (which may have been done by the store I bought it from, since they ordered it from Dean specifically for me), and there was no buzzing on the frets. Everything came perfect except for a small gouge in the finish on the backside of the guitar, but I believe it is from shipping (the roads SUCK here, I wouldn't be surprised). The crack hasn't spread, and the finish is great. I've dropped the guitar, knocked it off the stand, and hit it with my other guitars on accident, and the Vendetta has no signs of it (which I can't say for my Fender, which I've also dropped, etc). The nut was cut perfectly, which seems to be an uncommon with the guitars I've bought. Most other guitars I've owned have ground down my strings as I tune up and down from Standard to drop c to c Standard tunings, and eventually snap them. Also, the neck has a tribal design in mother-of-pearl, which looks badass on the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never performed with this guitar, but that is going to change soon, and I have a feeling it will do well. The buttons are sturdy and the finish will definately last a good long time. Although I would never perform without a backup guitar (better to have to stop a second and grab the second instead of without a string or not at all), I think it would be fine without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: If you've bothered to read all my crap and gotten this far, you deserve some brownie points and a cookie. As you can see, I am very fond of this guitar, and it's a great guitar for the price. I love the finish, and it sounds beautiful. I recommend it to anyone Who's looking for a new intermediate-level guitar. // 9

Vendetta 4.0 Reviewed by: Amer91, on july 22, 2009

Purchased from: Instruments Garage

Features: I got this guitar Brand New, it's made in Korea. It features a mahogany body with a quilted maple top and back, as well as a natural binding on the body, painted maple neck with neck-through construction, rosewood fretboard with 24 medium frets, and a cream binding on the neck, and it features a tune-o-matic bridge, and the strings pass through the body giving it more sustain. It has stock Dean passive pickups which are good enough for everything, and there's a basic 3-way Switch, master volume, and master tone. The new version of this guitar features Dean Time Capsule pickups, but the model I got has generic Dean pickups, but they're still good. The tuners are Grover and they provide great tuning stability. I got mine with a soft case from the shop. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of styles like black metal, death metal, shred, progressive, blues, and classic rock, and this guitar covers all of them. I use the guitar with a Line 6 PODXT Live multieffect processor with a Roland Cube 15 amplifier. I get great tones with this guitar for all the styles I mentioned, and the pickups, although stock, give me a great sound. The guitar isn't noisy at all. It has a nice bright sound using the bridge pickup, which is great for heavy riffs, and even for clean sounds. The neck pickup is great for soloing, especially for sweep picking and alternate picking runs. I also use it for blues solos with the tone knob rolled back a bit. On a clean setting, the guitar sings. I like to play Acoustic songs on it as well as exotic tapping on that setting and sounds amazing. I would have preferred a coil tap for this guitar because I like single-coil sounds, but it's no big deal. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty good from the factory. The action was low, but not too much, just the way I like it, and the pickups had the right height, so they didn't need any adjustment. The neck however needs some adjustment it has too much of a backward bow, but that can be easily fixed. I'll get that fixed when I have time. The frets, tuners, bridge, and other pieces of hardware are in perfect condition. The guitar feels great in my hands, I love the neck because it's a bit thick, but as thick as Les Pauls, which makes fast playing for me a lot easier. I could never play fast on a thin neck because I lose control on it. I also love that the neck is finished which gives more control on my playing. Most shredders prefer paper-thin unfinished necks, but I really medium necks and that's a feature I love about this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure this guitar could withstand live playing, it's built great. The hardware is pretty sturdy, and the strap buttons hold the strap firmly. I'd definitely gig with this guitar without backup, because it's sturdy, and it has fixed bridge, so if a string snaps, I can finish a song without the tuning getting screwed up, unlike guitars with floating bridges, and I can change the string afterward easily. The finish is great, but I always wipe the guitar with a cloth after playing it for a long time to keep it in good condition. // 9

Overall Impression: I cover a lot of metal bands like Emperor, Death, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest, and I also play songs by Satriani, Vai, Buckethead..... This guitar gives me the tone to cover all of them. And it feels perfect in my hands. I've been playing for 5 and a half years, and I own a Roland Cube 15 and a Line 6 PODXT live, and I manage to get great tones from my setup. If this guitar were stolen, I'd be pretty bummed out. I'd probably wait and try to find a Washburn X50 because it provides more tone options. I love the neck, the look, and the overall feel of the guitar. I hate the fact that it comes with Dean pickups and no coil tap. I compared this guitar with a Cort X-Custom, and I got this because of the amazing neck, and the neckthrough construction. Although the Cort had better pickups and a coil tap, it felt very uncomfortable to play. If it had a coil tap and DiMarzio pickups, it would be the perfect guitar for me. // 8

Vendetta 4.0 Reviewed by: raisedfist, on september 14, 2010

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: 53rd Street Music

Features: For The Vendetta 4F. I picked up this guitar about 6 months ago after dropping my Warlock for its last time. This guitar rocks grover machine heads, black nickle hardware and Dean DMT pickups, which I had to really contemplate long and hard about changing to my emg's. It has 24 frets which when set up for the proper tuning all sound perfect. It also uses a neck thru neck design with a solid mahogany body. This version also comes with some wicked pearl evil eye inlays. It also comes with an original Floyd Rose bridge and locking nut. Some features that I really liked about this guitar were the input jack which is about an inch long and solid as hell so no more flimsy jack syndrome and constantly tightening the outer nut on it. It also has the 3 connection setup which means that for active pickups you don't have to change it out. The finish is stunning as well with the "Trans Black". // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is amazing, it has a very rich tone, amazing for clean riffs, but when I crank the distortion it didn't disappoint. I play rock/metalcore and it has a very broad range from what I have tried with the original pickups. Like I said I had a hard time thinking about changing them. The only area it seems to lack in is the really raw tone that you would get from a metal guitar. I play this through a Marshall Avt 150 and Peavy 4x12. And the tone is better than any of my jacksons or bc rich guitars. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As for the action, it didn't suit my needs when I bought it because our band tunes to drop C#, but it was easy to set up for that if you have experience setting intonation and tuning with a floyd rose. I had to learn because I have 3 guitars with them. Otherwise it came with no problems, setup in E Standard and perfect for that tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: In the past 6 months this guitar has been through 8 shows, dropped, smashed into a bass, accidentally left in the vehicle for a week straight with Alberta climate changes and it still has a perfectly straight neck, and sounds the same as the day I bought it. I have basically played the hell out of it and it stands up to all of it. And It is currently the only one I bring to a show because when you pick up this guitar, you just know from the feel of it that it was built to Last. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I say, after owning Gibson, Epiphone, B.C. Rich, Jackson, Fender, Schecter and Ibanez guitars, I think I will go with Dean from now on. Just because there is no such thing as a perfect guitar for everything, but for rock-metal-hint of death metal kind of stuff, this guitar pulls it off better than anything I have ever had or tried. Even with its conservative design it still pulls off the metal look, In fact if I ever were to need another guitar for a different tuning or anything like that I would buy another one of these. // 10

Comments