Z 79 review by Dean

Dean: Z 79

Purchased from: ebay

I am playing this guitar thru a Peavey Ultra 112 tube amp, NOFX. I play stuff along the lines of Metallica, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Alexisonfire, Testament and RHCP aswell as acoustic things. This guitar is obviously suited more for classic rock being a 1979 reissue, but that is not to say that you can't play more modern stuff on it. The distortion is very heavy but if you stop playing, it doesn't make a lot of noise. On the neck p/u you get a great rock/metal rhythm sound however it is very bassy, maybe a little too bassy. The bridge p/u gives you a very metal tone, great for shredding. The pickups aren't as insane as on most metal guitars but I find this is good, as your palying souns a lot tighter and you don't have to turn the gain down to hear all the notes. The clean sound Is very bright when you are using the bridge p/u, The toen is nice sounding and not dull like on some guitars. The neck p/u is very warm and is very accurate, you can hear everything you do on the strings. Great for clean rhythm guitar.

I've been playing for the best part of 2 years now. I play rock/metal/punk/acoustic rock and this works very well as a rock and metal guitar, it definetly looks the part if you like Metallica or Trivium as well as sounding very nice. The best thing about this guitar is the fact that it came with a cust. fitted case and just how great it looks. I wish this guitar had black hardware but that doesn't bother me really. if it were stolen or lost I would be very slightly hissed and would prolly buy another guitar because life's too short to buy the same guitar twice! If I had the money I might buy a Gibson or ESP Explorer or a more expensive Dean like the razorback or maybe even track down a real '79 Dean Z!

As I said the paint has not chipped off anywhere, And the hardware is all still fine so I think it will last. The strap buttons are not particularly big, so straploks are a good idea here. The guitar seems very solid, you can really shred the f--k out of this thing and dig in to the strings when playing powerchords and the strings stay in tune, thanks to the grover tuners and the bridge. I would definetly gig this without a b/u.

I don't know how well it was set up at the factory but I got it with a very nice low action. The Switch and knobs and the out put jack are all ticht and even tohugh it is (apparently) over a year old the paint is not damaged anywhere and all the hardware is good as new. The only problem is that I thought the knobs were a bit tacky but that's it.

This guitar was made in Korea, The shape of this guitar is based on the Gibson Explorer, in my opinion one of the sexiest guitars ever made. It is made out of mahogny, with a set mahogany neck. This one's white with black binding, I don't think they make white ones anymore but you can get them in sunburst or black which both have amber knobs and cream p/u covers unlike this one, which has black knobs and p/u rings. The hardware is nickel and It has a TOM bridge with a Flying V tailpeice. The electronics are all std. Gibson Explorer (3 way Switch, 2 vol, 1 tone knob). However the tuners are grover tuners, which is standard Dean stuff. It came with A custom fitted Hardshell case in which the guitar fits perfectly, although it is extremly heavy.

forewarnedrocks
    i have a 75dean z it is the best guitar made the Gibson explorer is next then Schecter guitars, but thats my opinion right 4WARNED ROCKS MICHIGAN
    BlueDaze
    Is this the "upgraded" version of the Dean ZX? I want a Dean explorer type but I don't want a beginner guitar, I want one thats for years, that is worth modding, etc.
    Angel aka alaab
    i got one of these about a month ago and i haven't put it down since. You would think a guitar at this price would need a pup change, but i think the stock pups are perfect. it also looks totally badass in a cherry sunburst. The set neck makes getting to the higher frets very easy. everything about this guitar is awesome.