Z 79 review by Dean

Dean: Z 79

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: some music store

I play rock, hard rock and some metal. I'm using it with a Vox Pathfinder amp and a Marshall Guv'nor Drive pedal for 5 years I've been using this combinatios and I found it to suit my style. The humbuckers are great for stock ones. Any tipe of rock/metal can come out of this guitar. I've played some blues. So it can deliver. Even some Pantera. But after 5 years of hard playing these pickups had enough and I have to replace them. They have an ugly backround noise now. Sounds like a jackhammer. Oh well.

It's excelent for rock, hard and some heavy metal. It suits me fine. I've been playing for 9 years now. Had 2 other crapy guitars before this but this one blows them away.. I'm very pleased with it. I play it with a Vox Pathfinder and a Marshall Guv'nor. I also have a Vox Wah Wah pedal. The sound is great with them. I've played even Pantera songs with this baby and it sounds fine. If it were stole/lost/broken or anything of that shit. I would buy another one. I got this baby by chance. As I said, I wanted an MLF and had to buy this. I had a big and happy surprise. I love everything about it - the neck, the body, the finish - everything. It a good guitar regardind the price. My opinion? If you want a good an cheap guitar - buy this. You won't regret it! (Sorry for the bad grammar).

Well. After 5 years of hard playing..hard abusing it... Yes, it's a reliable guitar. I banged it, bashed it, even played some cimbals with the head at some time at rehearsals just for fun (like Dime in "I'm Broken" music video) and it's stil functional. Hell. Except a few scrach marks on the back side. It looks the same as the first day. The hardware is not something that is guaranteed to last a lifetime. Pickups must be changeed after some time (gonna change them in a few days)... Screws rust away. All of them. Got to change them too. I advise people to use a soft metal head screw driver when medling with the screws. They are very soft (I used a vanadium covered screw driver... bad mistake). Strap buttons changed them with straplocks..they waren't reliable. The strap kept faling off from the neck one. It was too little. In coclusion. The screws have a tendency to rust..even the humbuckers started to rust a little (maybe from my fault? I didn't cleaned the guitar after I played every time). It is my only guitar for 5 years now. And Yes. You can depend on it. I went to a lot of gigs with it and didn't have a problem. But after 5 years of playing you can expect some damage to apear, but nothing serious. I like the black glossy finish. It look like it's long lasting. I have some scratches on the back, but you have too look close to see them. Overal, it's a realiable and dependable guitar if you take care of it.

The action was wery high. And the pickups where not adjusted. Had them adjusted and worked fine. No flaws at all.

Bought this guitar 5 yearts ago. I'm from Romania and I had to go in the neighbouring country, Hungary, to buy this. At that time, in Romania nobody sold them. So I had to go in Budapest (Hungary) to buy this. Initialy I wanted to buy a MLF 79 but they ran out of them. So I bought this. Don't know the year it was made, but I can aproximate about 2005 - early 2006. Made in South Korea. 22 frets, mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Body shaped like an Gibson Explorer, mahogany with maple top. Black glossy finish. Bridge is tune-o-matic; with a v-stile shape, interesting, the strings come out of the body. I found this to be a bonus for string stability. Passive electronics. Two volume and one tone knob, 3 way selector. 2 humbucker pickups. Some stock pickups from Dean. Don't know the model. Zebra color. Grover tuners. It didn't came with a case. I bought that separately. But I bought the case the same day from the same store. So I includeed the case price in the initial price.

eddiehimself
    BlueDaze wrote: Is this the "upgraded" version of the Dean ZX? I want a Dean explorer type but I don't want a beginner guitar, I want one thats for years, that is worth modding, etc.
    In answer to your question, most definetely. This is not a beginner level guitar.