Z X review by Dean

Dean: Z X

Purchased from: Feedback Utrecht; Holland

I play mostly metal, and this guitar does the job quite well. The pickups have quite a high output, and can compete with the more expensive pickups tone-wise. At home I run it through a 50 watt Line 6 Spider and a Boss MT-2, and in the studio it goes directly into a 100 watt Peavey TransTube, the guitar sounds really great through both. the neck pickup is very warm, a little muddy sometimes, but in combination with the neck p'up it sounds really powerfull.

I think this guitar perfectly matches my music style, the only thing I really disliked where the cream-colored mounting rings, but that's fixed now so I think it perfect now. If it someone would steal it I'd definitely buy a new one.

The guitar feels and looks like a tank, I think I can throw this out my window and I'll still be playable. The only thing I'm a little worried about is the basswood, it appears to be a little fragile, but I haven't seen any damages so far. All the other parts are of good quality, so I guess I'd gig with it without a backup.

The action was very low when I bought it, still there was no fretbuzz so I'm quite happy with it that way :) The neck pickup was just a little too close to the strings but that's fixed in no-time anyway. Although I like the black finish a lot, the cream of the pickup mounting rings really made me puke, so I sprayed those black, looks a lot better now :) The only real problem I encountered was a poorly isolated bridge pickup wire, making the pickup mute itself sometimes, but this was fixed very easily with a piece of duct-tape :)

This explorer-style guitar was made in china, in 2003 as far as I know. The body is made of basswood, with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard with 22 frets & pearl dot inlays. The pickups are two Dean Zebra Humbuckers, with 2 volume and 1 tone pot and a 3 way Switch, it has a tune-o-matic bridge, with a "V" string-tru-body tailpiece, Grover (possibly locking) tuners, all hardware is chrome. Mine has a solid black finish.