Z X review by Dean

Dean: Z X

Purchased from: eBay--Guitar Shop

This, to this day, is the best sounding guitar I ever had. I bought this guitar when I was 16 on ebay for about $250. I wanted it because in those days I was a huge metallica nut and wanted to be like Hetfield. The Explorer was the obvious choice. I was a big Pantera fan as well so I figured if Deans were good enough for Dime, they'd be good enough for me. This guitar just screams, it just sounds so good. The harmonic squeals are insane, from cowboys from hell to hot for teacher it's insane. For about three years I ran the guitar through a Digitech RP7 into a 30 watt Marshall combo. The tube driven pedal supercharged the guitar quite a bit and mate it even more shredding. Just this past year, I sold the RP7 because it was shitting out here and there after I had repaired it numerous times. I upgraded my amp to a Marshall MGDFX50, good loud 50 watt amp with some cheesy effects. This guitar however sounds better on that than it did through the digitech. The sound is pretty has alot of variety. In the bridge section expect high gain very super ceramic lick type sound. In the bridge, very bluesy ZZ Top sound or hendrix, it's fun. There are a few electrical clicks and mild distortion at full volume, but I've also been playing it straight for four years, I think that's acceptable. The string thru design offers great sustain without a problem.

This guitar is the best guitar I have ever played in my life. I will never sell it, I wouldn't even trade it for a real deal Gibson Explorer, it's that good. I have played the dog shit out of it for about 4 years straight and now it's starting to suffer a little. After a refret and new tuners it would be set. For what I play, it's great, but the guitar is very applicable to other types of music. I'm not very new age. I love 80's classic rock and real heavy metal (Metallica, Pantera, Slayer) but is fun for any type of rock. I would definately get another if I had to.

This guitar has been great to me but is starting to wear down. Being my main axe for about four years it's in desperate need of a refret. The pickup housing screws have started to rust and oxidise, but because of the brazilliaburst finish, it more or less just adds character. The jack is ok, a little scratching but I'll replace that at some point. I would probably play the guitar live, after a refret and most importantly, tuners. The guitar is great, but the G string goes out of tune all the time. It came with grover tuners but I'm definately going to eventually replace them, they just dont hold a good tune.

I bought the guitar from an online company, I think it was new but I guess it could of been used. The action is super low, but has moderate buzz. I run hybrid slinkys and find them to be the best strings for this guitar. The paint had some chips and flaws, but overall the finish is very strong, takes a beating. The frets are starting to suffer from alot of playing. Frets 12-17, 19 on g b and e are rather useless cause of the buzzing. It needs to be leveled but I think I will do a complete refret.

- Made in Korea - 22 frets on rosewood - Maple bolt on neck - Solid, basswood body - 2 vol, one master tone and a 3 way toggle - 2 humbuckers - Standard tune-o-matic bridge