Z X review by Dean

Dean: Z X

Purchased from: Daces

The pickups on this are great. The neck pickup is nice and warm, and the bridge is nice and bright for great leads. This guitar sounds great clean, but even better distorted. I play through a Marshall 30DFX and a Behringer V tone gmx 212 and it sounds great through both. You can get blues, jazz, rock, metal etc out of it very easily. You can get the AC/DC sound, ZZ Top, U2 etc sound out of it just by fiddling with the tone and volumes and then a few settings on your amp. The pickups are actually very good when distorted, note clarity is good, you may want to upgrade them if you do really heavy distorted leads though, but I like them, they give good sound and mix.

I have been playing for 2 years and have owned cheap Strat copies, a Vintage SG and a Dean Baby Z. When I was thinking of getting a new one and wanted an Explorer type, I remembered how good my baby Z had been and when I saw this reduced, I snapped it up instantly. If this was stolen I would definatly buy another, but maybe save up and get the Z 79. This guitar is much better than any others I played including Epiphone Explorer. It is cheaper, but is much better standard and sounds better in my opinion. I wish I had got a case for it, but I can always go back and get a case. I love the shape of it, it sits so nice against your body and gives it a nice playing position. I also love the super fast neck and the fact it has grover tuners! The zebra pickups are also cool. This guitar is near perfect and would recommend it to anyone!

The guitar would withstand playing live, and I would not take a backup. The strap buttonns are solid and the strap sits on them very nicely without slipping off. The finish seems good enough to last, but as the shape of the body sticks out under your arm, you have to be careful of turning round and banging it, or banging it while sitting down.

I got mine discounted because there is a patch in the finish where it is going funny and red can be seen, but I plan to get this touched up. It seems to be robust though, could take a few bangs. The pickups are in perfect position. The action of the guitar is low, very low, with no fret buzz! It has a fast action to the neck, and this is the easiest guitar I have ever played!

This guitar is made from bassword, in the far east, possibly Korea. It has 22 frets, and is standard Gibson scale of 24 3/4 inches. The neck is a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. It is bolted on to the body. Mine is a black body with 2 zebra Dean humbuckers which has 2 volume and 1 tone controls. The body style is the classic Explorer type body. It has a tune o matic bridge and a V shaped plate to guide the strings through the body. The tuners are Grover and give great tuning stability. The headstock is a large V shape with 3 tuning pegs on each side.

Jimbo1990
    save a little more and get the '79 series the ZX is 240 the '79 329 its got better specs, I personally spent 429 on the Black gold Z i sent a review in.This guitar is still good for the money though
    Teh S'moore
    I have the Braziliaburst one and it's great! I put a Seymour Duncan Invader in the Bridge position and it sounds great. gera_thrash666, to answer your question, it is a good guitar for thrash. I play all Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, and Slipknot with it. To be honest though, I can't remember if the stock pickup was good or not, I never really paid attention, although I believe it was nice n' hot. Also, the braziliaburst doesn't look as "metal" as the black.
    gera_thrash666
    is this good for thrashers? cuz i've been playing for a few months, som im fairly new to this ,but im miles ahead in skill compared to my friend, so i don't know much about quality
    Fenyx
    is this guitar heavy? cuz im lookin for a stage guitar... and i jump around and put on a thrashing show....
    forwhomthebells
    I own a 10w Kustom Amp, (beginers amp and have been playing for 3 years. Would it sound better than my Encore guitar?