Z X review by Dean

Dean: Z X

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

The ZX has a great sound for metal and hard rock, especially if you play a lot of music that requires heavy palm muting. I personally play a lot of trash metal and neoclassical shred metal which is where the ZX excels at. I use a Marshall MG15 for practice and a Marshall JMD1 and MA412 Half Stack for live shows. Even out of the MG I get a really impressive sound that allows me to practice without worry of "is it me or the tone?" Easily the best low budget guitars I've ever played for out of the box sound quality. The Zebra Humbuckers have great control over tone and can work perfectly with or without distortion or effects. There is a slight buzzing problem that can make some heavy feed back if one isn't careful. The sound of switching between the humbuckers also gets picked up sometimes if you're playing loud enough. Still a great quality for the price.

For my 3 years of playing guitar I haven't found a better match for me at the price range of only $225. The ZX won't compare to more top of the line models, but it beats out most of its competitors at its own price range by a long shot. If it where lost or stolen I would buy another if my price range was still low, otherwise I'd probably get something better.

When it comes to looking clean the Classic black finish that I bought lacks in attempt. No matter how hard you try you can't keep it shiny and clean, that was more over my fault though as the sunburst finish doesn't have this problem. The Grover Tuners are some what unreliable in a live show as they have a tendency to make you're tuning slowly get flatter and flatter after long periods of time. Everything else have served me well though and after nearly a year of owning the ZX nothing has worn down very much at all.

I got this brand new so everything was factory default. I was actually really impressed with how well the ZX was pre-setup. I only needed to reset the action a little to fit my own preferences, buy new tuning knobs, and of course change the strings. Everything else was in great condition. The near perfect pre-setup make this guitar great for newer people without much customization experience.

Basswood body Bolt-on maple neck Rosewood fingerboard 22 frets 24-3/4" scale 1-11/16" nut Zebra humbuckers Tune-o-matic bridge with string-thu-body Dot inlays Grover tuners Chrome hardware Classic black finish

TheFallOfGod
    Haha, I got mine for $45 from Craigslist. It's a good guitar if you have maybe a years experience, but I've been playing for a little over 4 so it doesn't really stick out sound-wise. I only really use it when my ibanez is at my bands practice space, but its worth a lot more than what I paid haha. I imagine it would be great if you play pantera or metallica, but I play stuff more like TechDeath and black metal.