Inferno review by Devlin

Devlin: Inferno

It is a guitar for metal, which I love to play. I use it with a small Fender amp and a Crate GTX-65 with 3 Danelectro pedals; FAB Metal Distortion, FAB Flange, and FAB Echo (Delay). On the little amp (15 watts) it sounds kinda blah, however the little thing doesn't have any mids and I like mids so that could be why. On my Crate I can get a sound like Slayer, early Tool, and Lamb Of God out of the guitar, which leads me to believe this guitar is meant for big amps. On the clean channels I use it to play stuff I write and it sounds pretty good. The harmonics on it are a dream.

In four years I've been playing metal and this guitar is good for it, however I want to put in Seymour Duncans (preferably SH-2 and SH-4 JB) but as previously mentioned, I'm broke and can't afford any at this time. I've compared it to other guitars I have owned (a POS First Act and a POS Les Paul Copy) and a Behringer, and I love this guitar over the other 3. I probably would have to buy it again if it was stolen or lost because this is my main guitar.

The finish seems good enough to last, however I've only had it for less than 4 months so I haven't performed with it. The hardware will last because I don't mess around with the whammy all that much (I feel that sometimes it gets in the way). The strap buttons are pretty solid, but I need a new strap and I'm broke so duct tape has been a temporary repair for the damn strap. I would use this Live with no backup.

When this guitar came in the setup of the bridge was fine, but the whammy bar wasn't in. For those Who saw in forum posts I had a hell of a time getting it in and getting it tight enough, however once it was in it was all right. It's not a Floyd Rose or an edge so don't get any ideas about trying to do whammy squeals. I lowered the pickups slightly, I like them only slightly going up.

I am not sure what year it was made, to be honest. This is the Devlin Inferno, however if you say that in music stores the clerk may have no idea what you are talking about. On the Devlin webpage of the SHS Audio website it is known as the Devlin Flame, and it is obvious why. It is an alder-bodied guitar that is black on the back and red with realistic-looking flames on the body's front and the headstock. 22 frets with open circle inlays on a rosewood fretboard. It uses 2 Spitfire pickups, which slightly resemble EMG humbuckers yet are passive. The bridge is a Vintage tremolo and the strings go through it. It uses 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and a 3-way selector Switch on a Strat style body. What came with it was a gig bag, some allen wrenches, and a strap.