DR500T review by Dillion

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Dillion: DR500T

Purchased from: Received In Trade

I believe the pickups in the guitar are stock. They are quite nice. High output bridge and a smoother neck pick up well suited for cleans. Lots of bite and brightness. Exactly what I look for in a guitar. I play mostly high gain rock stuff with the occasional exploration of other more mellow styles. Pickups and electronics aren't very noisy. I might swap the pick ups but I might not. Definitely good enough as they are but I'm always seeking a better tone. Gets an 8 here to be conservative.

Excellent match for many styles of guitar playing. Can play Rock, Metal, and Jazz if paired with the right amp and handled properly. 24 frets and a tremolo system means this thing was made to shred. Have installed Sperzel locking tuners to help keep the guitar in tune when using the whammy bar. If it were lost or stolen I would try to find a new one but since it's discontinued I don't know how well it would work out. The only downside really was the poor action and fret condition when I bought it. However that just means it was loved and played often. Overall the guitar gets a nine. If you can find one test it out.

The guitar will withstand live playing no problem. Maple is a hard wood and the electronics and hardware are solid. I wouldn't expect any real issues with the guitar. However, I would never gig without a backup. The finish is beautiful seems like it's a little worn in but like I said it was previously owned and well played. I give it a nine because the glossy finish has dulled a considerable amount for a decade old guitar.

Because I received the guitar second hand I can't comment on factory set up. This is my experience with an already well played guitar! The frets were worn down so first thing I did was a fret level and re-crown. Then because the action was a little high for my taste I adjusted the bridge saddles and set the truss rod properly. After this it plays GREAT. Amazing action with no buzzing and bending the strings is moderately easy for a tremolo style bridge. I guess here I will give it an 8. It was a six before the work and a ten after. Because of how worn in the guitar was though you would expect some issues and the need for a set up. Other Dillions I have played were set up pretty well. This is how I reasoned the rating here.

This guitar was made in Korea about around the year 2000. Features 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard. Canadian maple neck set into a maple body with a quilted maple laminated top. My particular guitar is in a Green Quilt. This guitar is modeled after a PRS and has soaring eagle inlays. Not quite as nice as genuine PRS inlays, but it's a copy so it can't be exact without legal implications. This version of the guitar has a Tremolo but other DR500 models feature fixed bridges and string through body designs etc. Two humbucking pickups with a single volume and tone control and a selector knob. Yes thats right it's a knob not a Switch as a pickup selector. Neat. For Features this thing has what you'd expect from a PRS style guitar so like most of my reviews it gets a ten.