ST-203 review by Dimavery

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Dimavery: ST-203

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: Dealer

I normally play blues, hard rock and heavy metal. On the first hand, on my Marshall Mustang amp, on the clear setting it sounds ok, nice tone on the acoustics. The pups are nothing more than old light bulbs if you ask me. This guitar can only cope with the clear tone. You can't even say a good thing when it comes to distortion. The pups are terrible. Maybe overdrive but distortion never. If you buy this guitar make sure you change the pups, I mean real fast! The interesting part is that these light bulbs don't buzz. I was surprised to find out about this. Usually a single coil would buzz on higher gain, but these never (Perhaps something gone wrong with the amp I don't know, It was too good to be true). And if you get new pick-ups it's just a waste of time and money, because the plywood body won't cope, no matter what you put on.

No matter what pups you put on it still won't sound better. It's just a guitar suited for beginners to learn with. I would recommend for beginners to try something more expensive. If you are desperate to get a electric axe, then try it on your own risk. I bought it to experiment with it, I can't say that I don't like it, but it's just another cheap axe for beginners.

I played, or practiced with it for about an year I guess. I changed those light bulbs with a set of Seymour Duncan, which I had them from an old ESP. The plywood seems durable. The strap buttons are pretty solid. The knobs are ok still on, perhaps I was lucky and I got a good guitar, usually the knobs would fly after 2 weeks of playing.

To be honest, the set-up was perfect. The action was good, it suited my style. The strings are just... Don't know... Too standard. The hardware was ok, the electronics were ok to my surprise. I usually rewire the guitar, I just don't trust the job made in the factory. The finish is quite ok for a beginners eye.

Well I was in need of a practice guitar so I decided to try a Dimavery. When it came, it was just like an ordinary Strat copy. The average 22 fret finger board. I guess the body is just firewood, nothing special. The standard bridge (I don't know why they included a whamy bar, it's just a piece of crap). 2 tone and 1 volume knob, they seem to be ok. It came in a set with a guitar bag, 1 cable, spear strings, 1 strap, and a set of picks. I presume it's just to fool beginners to buy it.

MaggaraMarine
    Yeah... This guitar pretty much sucks. It's same kind of Strat starter pack as any other starter pack. The review written by unregistered is ok but I think he is still giving this too high ratings. Like he has nothing good to say about the sound and it's a 5? 5 is decent, medicore. And features 7? You don't say anything positive about the guitar and it's a 7? 7 is pretty high rating. But I don't get these starter packs because nobody's going to play them over a year. It's just waste of money because after some months you want to buy a new guitar (and amp) like my friend did. So beginners: Don't buy a starter pack guitar because after you have bought it you want to buy a new guitar because the starter pack guitar sucks so much!
    Brliebl
    I've got one. Paid 45 euros for it. It's pink (LOL). Take it with me everywhere for practice. It's the right guitar for the job. Action is not too bad and plugged in it sounds like a guitar. Of course its quality doesn't come near my Fender strat delux, but for 1/30 the price it's a sane deal.