Debeo Octanis review by Douglas

Douglas: Debeo Octanis

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

I only have a Crate GX-15 with build in overdrive so I do not have the ability to really get a good idea of the sounds this guitar is capable of. The pickups though cheap are not bad but they are not great. I can get some decent pinch harmonics with them and they seem a little weak but can still deliver a decent tone to keep you satisfied till you can upgrade them to something more suitable to your personal taste. It has some buzz but thats expected since the control cavity is not shielding though copper shielding is cheap so this isnt a major issue.

I play metal and this guitar suits it just fine. I have been playing for nearly 2 years and this is my second Douglas guitar and I was quite surprised when I got it, this level of quality with such a low price tag was very unexpected even after having all ready seen how good quality these Douglas guitars are. If it were stolen I would replace it as soon as possible. My favorite things about this guitar is the neck feels comfortable in my small hands and the string through design. What I dislike the most is getting use to playing while sitting with it though as I get more use to it the more comfortable it gets. All I really wish it had is better pickups but those are easily and cheaply replaced. I rated this on quality and the price.

The strap buttons seem solid but for any guitar its recommended to use strap locks. The hardware is cheap but it gets the job done just fine and feels like it will hold up pretty well for a while. I am completely faithful in believing that this guitar will withstand live playing just fine and I would use it without a backup. The finish is fine, I have bang the corners several times since I got it and it has not chipped or cracked at all.

When it showed up the action was so low that the strings were resting on the fretboard and it was not in tune *this doesn't matter*. The neck came perfectly straight but the finish has some blemishes. There were some very minor chips on the head stock and a little over spray on the neck binding. There are was a ding at the bottom but none of this is noticeable from more than 3 feet away. The intonation is perfect and when you pluck a string you can feel the resonation through the entire body and neck. The finish is not as white as the pictures show that it is, it looks like Tobacco white and the frets do need to be leveled just a little but I can get a pretty decent action with little buzz. There are no dead notes and my bends and harmonics ring out just fine.

Mahogany body 22 jumbo fret set maple neck Rosewood fretboard 1 Tone and 1 Volume knob 3 way toggle switch Dual passive humbuckers String through body with TOM bridge Tobacco White paint with Randy Rhoads style black pinstripe Offset Flying V body shape Came with a 5ft cable /w angled plug so this helped with play it sitting down. Also came with an allen wrench for the trussrod.

guitarsftw
    celticstorm84
    Nice review. Seems like most guitars from rondomusic rate extremely well compared to their price. Looks pretty legit to me.
    NEAWD
    guitarsftw wrote: Ok, the actual review is fine, but the numbers do not correspond properly to what you describe. If I were doing the numbers based on what you said, I'd give it 8, 7, 6, 8, 7.
    I agree with you on this one- especially in the fit and finish category. How or why would you rate it so high if the frets need leveling. It seems to me if you want to get that taken care of and get a good setup with it, it's probably going to cost as much as you payed for the guitar. Just my .02 though.
    Darkdevil725
    The leveling isnt that bad, after a small truss rod adjustment I managed to only get a tiny bit of buzz on my low E tuned down to Drop C.