Grendel 725 review by Douglas

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Douglas: Grendel 725

Purchased from: Rondo Music

The pickups are VERY weak (no pinches on the B string, doesn't suit my style (heavy metal, djent). Using Peavey Transtube 112 (Valveking 100w on the way), Crybaby Original Wah, Behringer PO300 overdrive. Some feekback on all selections, full sound, better for clean than distortion. Can go from any combination with amp adjusts. Will not be able to do very high-gain stuff.

I play heavy metal and djent (i.e.: In Flames, All That Remains, Periphery, Pantera, Scar Symmetry). Not the best for me until I get better pickups. I've been playing for 3 years. Also own Douglas Shadow CSB, Douglas Spad Pro (with EMG 81/60), and Fender Squier Strat. Peavey Transtube 112, Fender 15G. I wish I would've known how bad the stock pickups were. I would not get this again, I'd get something better. I LOVE the neck and body, I HATE the pickups and tuners. I didn't compare against any other guitars, just to my friend Ibanez RGA7 with BKP's. NO COMPARISON. I wish it had better pickups and grover tuners, then it would be an amazing guitar. But you can't complain with a 170 price tag!

The guitar could easily withstand live playing... With better pickups. The hardware is all very strong, only issue is that is I kinda try to slide the neck, it makes a little squawk (suggesting weak screw joint? ) Strap buttons are solid, but I change them out for locking anyway. Finish is near-perfect, very smooth, satin-neck. And thick.

Action was fine, neck was perfect as usual from rondo. Frets weren't sharp at all. The neck is a dream to play on. VERY easy to sweep and shred with it. Pickups are very easy to adjust (fixed to body (no plastic cover/spring)). No bookmatching, the bridge is correctly routed. Came with a chip in the tip of the headstock (first time I've ever had this problem with Rondo).

Year made: 2011, purchased in USA, made in China. - 24 frets - 25.5 scale - Fat maple neck (very comfortable for me) - Rosewood fingerboard - Solid Top - Basswood body - Natural Finish (light brown stain) - Strat-ish body (horns are alot sharper and cutaways alot deeper) - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Passive 7 String pickups (wax ceramic) and pots (1 tone, 1 vol) - 1 tone, 1 volume, 3-way pickup selector - humbucker:humbucker, non-brand - locking tuners, non-brand - no accessories

Freepower
    "Ibanez RGA7 with BKP's. NO COMPARISON" - Set of BKPs cost more than your whole guitar dude. XD
    nofuq.ingway
    So spending more money = better tone? You ever hear the expression "time is money"? So if OP spends some time tweaking his new axe... making it HIS axe, to HIS exact specs... he will at some point have invested enough time (money) and have a completely custom (signature?) axe exactly how he likes it that may well blow your generic dime-a-dozen high dollar axe away, correct?
    Monster Zero
    Dont listen to these *****s. I've been playing guitar for 30 years and have bought over 10 guitars from Rondo AND I use Peavey's exclusively. I stopped being robbed by the marketing hype of Marshall and Mesa years ago and couldn't be happier. A few simple upgrades that anybody can do and Rondo guitars and Peavey amps can be tremendous. I have been a working musician for the past 15 years or so and I get great compliments on my tone from other players constantly.
    anvil is god
    Rondo makes great instruments, and sells them cheap. Most guitars out of there are equal quality to those brands you listed in the midrange area, but much cheaper.
    Monster Zero
    Damn right they do. These dumba$$es don't know what they are talking about. They just follow the marketing hype like sheep. I've bought various Rondo axes from SX to Douglas to Agile and I just upgrade the tuners and pups and set it up right and BAM you have a guitar that plays and sounds as good as guitars that cost 20x the money. Yeah I own a LP and a Strat too but I will tell you my SX Diemos(lp copy) and my SX SST (strat copy) both sound and play as good or better than any LP or Strats I've ever played. As far as Peavey amps go my main go to amp is a Peavey Windsor with a few simple mods I did. I'd put it up against any Marshall JCM800 2203 and come out on top!
    JoePerry4life
    I bet the pickups would sound a little better if they weren't being played through a low end solid state peavey amp. To say these won't do metal is retarded. It will do metal, but to some it may sound weak. But with the proper amp it will sound fine.
    Monster Zero
    Got news for ya buddy those Transtube Peavey's sound great. Especially the ones from the early 2000's with the Red Stripe. I gigged with one for 5 years. Gotta know how to adjust settings..
    Air_Stryker
    Why do you have three crappy guitars that cost about 150ish. Why don't you just save your money for a bit and buy a halfway decent LTD, Jackson, Epiphone,Ibanez or whatever? Why keep buying sub standard instruments?
    Dark_Iran
    guitar is made china . hahahaha
    Monster Zero
    China, Korea, and Indonesia have really caught up to the US in quality. I buy American when I can afford it but a couple simple upgrades to a cheap Chinese guitar can make it play and sound as good as American guitars costing 10-20x more.
    anvil is god
    blackbird51 wrote: Valveking 100w on the way lol
    Whats wrong with valvekings? Great modding platforms, and when you have a decent cab they sound great.
    pointblank36
    Air_Stryke i have a Schecter Omen 7 w/ Blackouts. So yea. I have a good guitar. I also owned an LTD KH602 so dont say i dont know.