Shadow review by Douglas

Douglas: Shadow

Purchased from: www.rondomusic.com

This guitar is perfect for all styles. I play metal/rock music and it sounds perfect. I use my Peavy Transtube Transformer 112 with high gain & low gain with tons of effects and works perfect. It has a very thick sound do to the humbuckers. It can sound very bright/bluesy and heavy also. Sounds good with vibratos and pinch harmonics.

I play heavy metal/screamo/rock/light rock music & this guitar sounds great with them all. I've been playing for a year and a half but most poeple tell me it seems like I've been playing for several years. I also own 2 strats (1 custom), ESP LTD KH-202, and an Lauren Acoustic (cheapy), Peavy Transformer 112, Fender Frontman 15G, Marshall mini amp. If this guitar was lost I would definitely buy it again. I love everything on the guitar. Only thing I hate is that I can't find what the allen wrench is for when it doesn't fit on anything on the guitar. This guitar was just gonna be scrapped for my custom but after using it, I changed my mind. For $120, WELL WORTH IT!

This guitar will handle live playing perfectly. The hardwaqre is all steel and with last for a long time without breaking. Strap buttons are kinda small but they work. I could definitely play this wihtout a backup at a gig. The finish is sunburst with a thick coat of poly and wont scratch off.

The guitar was perfect from the factory, strings were a bit loose but all in all perfect. The pickups are perfect sounding. Its all properly made. The headstock had a little extra poly on the top. Sunburst Finish that is very close to the original Les Paul sunburst finish, just the outer color is a little darker.

2010 model C01106. 22 frets jumbo frets on a bound 24.75" Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays. Single cutaway arch top body made from solid Alder. Maple neck. Les Paul style body. Stop Bar Tailpiece. 2 Volume and 2 tuning knobs with a 3-way pickup selector. 2 Humbucking double coil pickups. Locking tuners with chrome hardware and all steel parts.

flutist3
    Pointblank-don't let the guitar police snobs get you down-the most important thing is you had good comments and obviously the one you have is a good model. It's their prob-not yours.
    pointblank36
    derpdragon wrote: "I play heavy metal/screamo/rock/light rock" No one plays screamo they just suck at music. This man clearly has only played for 1-3 months and will never improve in skill. I wouldn't trust this review.
    screamo as in a7x and lamb of god and dethklok dumbass! wont improve in skill when dethklok is full of sweep picking? wont improve on skill? yeah right!
    pointblank36
    IF NO ONE THINKS THIS GUITAR IS WORTH THE CHEAP PRICE THEN TRY IT OUT YOURSELF AND EAT YOUR OWN WORDS MOFOS!!
    pointblank36
    and ive been playing for a year and i half and own 5 guitars, 3 amps, foot pedals, all that shit and IT IS WORTH IT WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT
    Darkdevil725
    I think hes giving the high marks with pricerange in mind. Cuase for that price these guitars can rate that high in my opinion. But if you consider all guitars and price ranged I think these can do a solid 7 in some areas.
    nomadh
    I dont know this specific model but I did get a douglas tele and: 1-Its as pretty as any guitar from fender. Actually prettier than most fenders. 2-Amazing quality player. I'm no guitar god but I've been playing for 30 years and I do own mia fenders and gibsons. My douglas tele plays as good as any of them. Its so well built I may raise the action as its a bit too slinky and refined for a tele. I don't doubt for a second the douglas les paul is amazing.
    zosofan
    I own this guitar. I wouldn't give it 10's in all categories but its a fine guitar even for 2 or 3 x the price paid. I didn't like the stock p-ups. Neck measures 7K and the bridge measures 12K. I swapped them out for gfs mean 90 P-90's. Other than that though its every bit as playable as every Epiphone I've tried before and after buying this. It truly is a outstanding guitar for the money. Is it Gibson Les Paul std. quality? NO, but it's not $2200 either.
    idanapowell
    I have a Douglas Shadow Gold Top for $120 and I have a 1981 Les Paul Custom. The Douglas is just as good a guitar as my LP. I love Gibson, but I'm not going to pay $2,000 for a the Name.(I got the LP for FREE and that's the only reason I have one). My father is 67 years old and a fine picker (hes started playing when he was 5) and he said "I don't know how they can build a guitar this good for $120 bucks". Don't think a big name makes you sound better it don't. If you sit at the house and play or on the weekend for fun the Douglas Shadow is good. If you play for money 7 day a week buy a Gibson. If you dont care whos name is on your guitar get a Douglas. Rondo Music didn't pay me to say all of this. I'm just a 35 year old redneck from Mississippi, but I know guitars I have a custom made No-Caster and a LP and I have owned Jackson's, PRS, Fenders, GL, and 10 or 15 more. The Douglas is just as good as some and better than others. I'll buy another and will tell others how good these are. I give it a 10+.
    guitarist@net
    I think with guitars like these you really can't expect the world with them (i.e. perfection) but if you're rating on value for money, these would probably beat a Gibson or Epiphone easily. You can easily customise these with new pickups etc and you will have something that is much more usable than a $2200 Gibson, for maybe a quarter or third of the price.
    pointblank36
    an epiphone is EXACTLY like a gibson except for electronics and bridge. so dont pay for the name. its not worth it
    stanton4385
    Did he just say that all the most skilled guitarists are from Heavy Metal and screamo bands? Ha! I guess it depends on your definition of "skill"
    anvil is god
    pointblank36 wrote: "I play heavy metal/screamo/rock/light rock" No one plays screamo they just suck at music. This man clearly has only played for 1-3 months and will never improve in skill. I wouldn't trust this review. considering all the fastest and most skilled guitarists are from heavy metal and screamo bands, yea im gona get somewhere. lets see you play some Lamb Of God or Periphery, you couldn't even come close to it, so shut it.
    Listen to some jazz. I love Mishas work, but it is not nearly as impressive as you make it out to be.
    FernandRaynaud
    The problem here is that it takes luck and/or some returns to get a good one, and it takes some work to set it up, sometimes a lot. The OP got a very good one and doesn't realize that most of them are short of that. The other "side" doesn't want to believe they can be that good. In my case I got a gold top that got dinged in shipping, so It goes back anyway. But here's what I got for $139. A nice looking thin and light LP clone that sounds quite good. The body, neck and headstock have a pleasing faux binding. The neck has a bit of fogging under the poly. The nut is a Tusq-like hard material. The bridge is a bit rough in its metal and at the limit of inclination for the very low action I set it to, I like 2/16 or less at the 12th fret treble side. After tweaking the truss rod and even lightly sanding some frets, I find I can't get rid of a light buzz here and there. But for someone who's happy with a 3/16" action, it should be manageable. I don't like the neck. In width and thickness it resembles a 60s Gibson (I mostly play a 1965 ES335). But the C shaped contour and the thick finish plus faux binding makes it feel massive and crude. Even if all the frets were perfect, I wouldn't like it. But then I don't like all the $2000 Gibsons I've tried, let alone the Epiphones. To someone who likes a chunky neck it might be fine. So all in all, if not for the shipping damage, to many people this would be a great buy. If I liked the neck feel, I would be sending it back to try to get one with better frets and maybe no fogging on the back of the neck, and I might end up with a heck of guitar.
    FernandRaynaud
    Oh, I should add I have a 6 string fretless Douglas bass that's got active electronics, a thin and wide maple neck with rosewood fingerboard to die for, and a green finish that's really gorgeous. It's a $200 Rondo instrument. I've added a piezo under the massive bridge. The Thomastik strings I have on it cost almost as much as the bass. My go to bass is a short scale fretless jaguar look SX, though I own a 1963 Precision. Granted it takes some luck, and some touch-ups, but these can be very nice instruments if you don't insist on the high priced labels on the headstock.
    SeamanTickles
    I have to say, my douglas shadow is AMAZING. The pups start to lose definition when you downtune, and they weren't very high output, reading a 13.3kohms. But as far as the action and feel of the neck... It's up to par with any Epi custom I've ever played. But their qc sucks. My sister's used quite different parts than mine... different tuners, nut... And her action wasn't able to go as low as mine... Probably cause the neck joint wasn't as angled as mine... All in all great guitar.
    Paulbookwood
    For the price it's a nice guitar. Of course you could spend another $50 and get the Douglas Custom which has a set neck. That would be more Les Paul like.
    pointblank36
    K4boose wrote: Maybe the reviewer should be clear about how he's rating the guitar: 1. In general, in which case if this guitar is getting tens what the hell would you give an ESP or a Gibson?!?! or 2. Against other guitars of the same price range, in which case the ratings would be ok I also find it hard to believe this guitar is "perfect for all styles". Maybe you should wait til you've played a wide variety of guitars for different styles before making claims like that....
    its better than my ESP KH202 handsdown
    pointblank36
    seemeel wrote: What a crock of shit this review is. Why is it that some people think that when they own gear, it becomes the greatest gear in the world? Why are all these reviews overwhelmingly positive? Has no one ever bought a dodgy guitar/amp/other gear?
    Because Douglas is high quallity and low price. DEAL with it. i have high quality gear also and its just as good!
    pointblank36
    TheMarrtyr13 wrote: jpnyc wrote : Unless he rated it relative to other $120 guitars. wrong, its rated compared to my KH-202 with EMG-HZ pickups Exactly!
    rokkit
    Glenn Guitar wrote: For $120, it can't get a 10 in all them places. Anyone knows that.
    douglas make extremely high quality guitars for very cheap
    The3aahh
    my friend got one of those, i dont know from where he got it, but its just so awesome t play with!
    Lordyboy
    you have to be slightly suspicious when it's an unregistered user who gives a 9.6 overall.
    leather barrel
    they should really set a standard for the rating system, one for quality vs. price and overall quality. it seems unrealistic that a $120 guitar can score nearly perfect
    Joe-Floyd-lover
    Echoplex wrote: I doubt that it's any good.
    It isn't a Gibson, but it is as good as any Epiphone... I have played them and they aren't really that bad. This is nothing compared to Rondo's other guitars, (AL-3000), but it does what it needs to do. I think rokkit is the only one with sense here...
    jpnyc
    pointblank36
    RetroBasement wrote: a cheap guitar can get that score if it does what its supposed to...be a starter guitar.
    Im not a starter at guitar. i just bought this TO STRIP IT DOWN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME. its the best guitar that i have out of my 2 Fenders, and ESP
    Glenn Guitar
    jpnyc wrote: For $120, it can't get a 10 in all them places. Anyone knows that. Unless he rated it relative to other $120 guitars.
    Wait, where does it say that? He doesn't compare it to any competition.
    K4boose
    zambie552
    jonasrolf
    zambie552 : you guys are dumb. just because a guitar is cheap doesn't mean its not a good guitar. its all about personal preference, buying based on price is not always the best way to find something YOU like
    i think most of the people do not think its a bad guitar. what they mean is that its a pretty cheap guitar and its meant to be one for starters, but the review calls this guitar a "perfect guitar for all styles". obviously it cant be right that some original gibson les paul models get worse overall-ratings. you have to keep in mind that this guitar is just an extremly low-budget version of the original
    seemeel
    pointblank36
    no actually this guitar is better than my ESP LTD KH202 im serious its VERY high quality for the price. like i said i was gona strip it down for parts but quickly changed my mind because it just that good. the parts were gona be for my stratocaster custom with a walnut body @K4Boose. Listen to me dammit this guitar IS BETTER THAN MY ESP! DEAL WITH IT.
    pointblank36
    Metalrocka9996 wrote: what a surprise, another recreation of a les paul.
    Yep, one thats almost as good as the original too. same feel and weight. Doesn't sond as good but it sounds as good as my esp with the EMG-HZ pickups.
    derpdragon
    "I play heavy metal/screamo /rock/light rock" No one plays screamo they just suck at music. This man clearly has only played for 1-3 months and will never improve in skill. I wouldn't trust this review.