Shadow Pro review by Douglas

Douglas: Shadow Pro

Purchased from: Rondo Music

I play everything from country, classic rock, alternative and blues and a bit of Jazz. This guitar does it all well and sounds pretty good. I did change out the pickups to a GFS mean 90 in the neck and a Dream 180 in the bridge with coil splitting. The stock pickups were good but I wanted something a little different from the standard LP humbucker sound. With the new pickups I get a great variety of useable tones for my taste in music. I get great sustain and the pots are very sensitive. Overall even with the stock pickups (I use them in another guitar now) it sound really good, clear and bright tone.

I spent alot of time researching a quality budget guitar and I am truly happy with guitar. You would have have ahard time finding a better value. Great tone out of the box, with solid components and quality finish. It makes a great platform to mod if you want to, but its not necessary. I would buy this guitar again.

I kind of baby my gear and I don't gig so durability and reliability are not really tested. This guitar gets played about three hours a week and I have had zero problems. I am impressed by the quality of the components, they are work smoothly and feel very solid. After a year of playing it still looks brand new.

Fit and finish were excellent except for the nut was not quite fitted correctly. I replaced it with TuskXL and now it sounds perfect and is lined up correctly. I could find no flaws in the finish the all of the components work well. The tuners are excellent and keep in tune for long stretches. Out of the box, the guitar was set up well except for the nut. The frets were well dressed, no rough or high spots and zero buzz. The neck is a little on the chuncky side, but I have small hands so all necks except the thinest seem chunky to me. Despite the problem nut, I still give it an 8.

Made in China 2010. - LP Style in Cherry Sunburst w/ cream body, neck, head stock binding - Chrome hardware - 2 volume 2 tone pots 3 way selector - tune o matic bridge and wrap around stop peice - Wilkinson non locking Tuners - 2 cereamic humbuckers - rosewood finger board

Kog_Les_Paul
    Think there's better beginner guitars out there in that price range, and ones that dont look so god darn pasticky! Still if it does you for now, stick with it
    drummerboy0071
    I got one. I like it. Is it in the same class as a Les Paul or even an Agile. No, but I didn't want to spend the money for those. For the price, They're great guitars. I also on a '72 Les Paul gold top and a '86 Fender American Strat. They are great but I spent a small fortune on them. In the past year I have bought 3 guitars from Rondo Music and they have all been very playable guitars.
    mechanic1908
    I have this guitar and after some tweaks its a solid 8.Out of the box the frets needed to be leveled (fret buzz on high E and B strings around 11th fret) and the nut was total crap, replaced it straight away.Now with that done and after swapping out the stock pickups for P-90's (just because my SG is dual h-bucker and I don't need 2 guitars set up with the same p-ups)It's a keeper.If you can do your own work on your guitars I highly recommend this, if you can't work on them yourself I would suggest you look another direction.HTH This Shadow Pro is a set neck btw
    Paulbookwood
    Nice for a bolt on neck single cutaway. Of course Douglas makes a "custom" version with a set neck for people who can spend a little more. That's a nice guitar too.