Shadow Pro Review

manufacturer: Douglas date: 03/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Douglas: Shadow Pro
I play everything from country, classic rock, alternative and blues and a bit of Jazz. This guitar does it all well and sounds pretty good. I spent alot of time researching a quality budget guitar and I am truly happy with guitar.
 6.6
 8.6
 4.6
review (1) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Shadow Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2012

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: Made in China 2010. - LP Style in Cherry Sunburst w/ cream body, neck, head stock binding - Chrome hardware - 2 volume 2 tone pots 3 way selector - tune o matic bridge and wrap around stop peice - Wilkinson non locking Tuners - 2 cereamic humbuckers - rosewood finger board // 9

Sound: I play everything from country, classic rock, alternative and blues and a bit of Jazz. This guitar does it all well and sounds pretty good. I did change out the pickups to a GFS mean 90 in the neck and a Dream 180 in the bridge with coil splitting. The stock pickups were good but I wanted something a little different from the standard LP humbucker sound. With the new pickups I get a great variety of useable tones for my taste in music. I get great sustain and the pots are very sensitive. Overall even with the stock pickups (I use them in another guitar now) it sound really good, clear and bright tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Fit and finish were excellent except for the nut was not quite fitted correctly. I replaced it with TuskXL and now it sounds perfect and is lined up correctly. I could find no flaws in the finish the all of the components work well. The tuners are excellent and keep in tune for long stretches. Out of the box, the guitar was set up well except for the nut. The frets were well dressed, no rough or high spots and zero buzz. The neck is a little on the chuncky side, but I have small hands so all necks except the thinest seem chunky to me. Despite the problem nut, I still give it an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I kind of baby my gear and I don't gig so durability and reliability are not really tested. This guitar gets played about three hours a week and I have had zero problems. I am impressed by the quality of the components, they are work smoothly and feel very solid. After a year of playing it still looks brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: I spent alot of time researching a quality budget guitar and I am truly happy with guitar. You would have have ahard time finding a better value. Great tone out of the box, with solid components and quality finish. It makes a great platform to mod if you want to, but its not necessary. I would buy this guitar again. // 8

Comments