SIV-45 review by Douglas

Douglas: SIV-45

Purchased from: RondoMusic

This guitar suits my style of music perfectly because it has a V shaped body and can really handle the punishment of heavy metal music. I currently use a plug and play setup with just my amp and my guitar with no effects and I play through a Marshall MG Half Stack. The only problem about noise was there is a little fret buzz when you first get the guitar and after you tune it but this can be easily fixed by raising the tailpiece to your likings and retuning your guitar. This guitar sounds great on any setting and any volume... Anywhere to full gain and volume to clean and quiet and it also has a very bright sound when played with a combination of clean and neck pickup. This guitar can make almost any sound you want it to make... Your imagination is your limit.

I mainly play heavy metal music and this guitar is the perfect match for this kind of music. I've been playing for about a year and this is the only guitar I ever use. There is nothing I could ask before buying this guitar... Everything is excellent on this guitar... From the strings to the wiring. If my guitar were lost or stolen I would instantly buy another one because this guitar is excellent. I love everything about this guitar and I hate nothing about it. I did not compare it to other products... This guitar is cheap but I took the chance and I don't regret it getting it. I chose this guitar because it has great looks, it's a V style body, and it is everything I've ever wanted and more in a guitar. The only things I wish it had is another volume knob and a Original Floyd Rose Tremolo.

This guitar can withstand almost anything... Form being dropped or hit against something... This guitar is very durable. The hardware is excellent and will last as long as you want to play guitar and the strap buttons are very solid and are tightened securely onto the guitar. This guitar is very dependable and can be used in a gig without using another guitar unless you use different tunings and don't want to retune after every song. The finish on this guitar is very good and doesn't wear off from heavy play.

The guitar was setup up excellent at the factory besides the fact that there is fret buzz from the tailpiece being to low, other than that there are no flaws in the setup of this guitar. The pickups are adjusted very well unless you want a really heavy sound then you want to raise the bridge pickup closer to the strings to get a heavier sound. This guitar has excellent routing and even better wiring. The only flaw in this guitar is it can't play the music for you.

The Douglas SIV-45 is a Randy Rhoads V shaped body with a bolt on neck... It features 22 easy access frets which really helps for wailing solos. The neck is the perfect thickness to get to chords and playing fast rhythms and fast position chancges. It also features a stop tail piece which provides easy string changes when needed. There is one volume control, one tone control, and a pickup selector... The only bad thing about this is that you can't turn one pickup's volume down and turn the other one up and move the picup selector so get a whammy bar effect when needed. This guitar also has non locking tuners. When you buy this guitar it also comes with an allen wrench and a cable.

UraniYum
    Bottle of Dirt
    UraniYum wrote: If you haven't compared it to anything else, how do you know that it's perfect? I just picked up a used Epi G-400 for about the same price, through 10 years of trying hundreds of guitars, I feel it to be the best in the price range. I'd definately recommend trying one. And you can't really find a FR for $100 mate. And you can't really judge the action on a factory-made guitar, it varies hugely. Sorry, i'll stop moaning.
    He brings up many good points. I bought one a few years back for $110 brand new and the sound depth of its sound is lacking. It doesn't handle distortion or echo(I still can't figure that one out) well. You can get one of these guitars with an LFR though for only like $150. This guitar is far from perfect, not even for the price; as a second guitar, it's not that bad if you're on a really tight budget, I'll admit that.
    AcEL7
    No dude...I don't call it moaning...I call it helping with what I messed up on so I can write a better review next time.
    UraniYum
    Aye, there's just enough negativity on the internet. I know the feeling man, first decent guitars always gunna be special. On a positive one, the sharktooth inlays are genius. You've got the RR shape, and is that a bone nut? So many impressively shaped guitars thesed days have goddamn plastic.
    BrokenDstring
    Rondo does it again...seriously for $100 you can't do much better. If you haven't played an SX/Douglas/Agile then you have no idea what's going on here. Enjoy it man...and good review I think.
    acade365
    AcEL7 wrote: It may not be perfect to most players but for me it's perfect...there's a ton of other guitars out there that are probably better than this one but this is my first electric guitar that isn't a POS so it's perfect to me...but yeah...thanks for pointing out the problems so I can fix them next time.
    I'm happy that you're happy about your guitar. However, when you review something, you have to be objective and impartial. There's no reason to write a review if your main purpose is jsut convincing yourself that a 100 bucks guitar deserves good ratings.
    jpnyc
    The only bad thing about this is that you can't turn one pickup's volume down and turn the other one up and move the picup selector so get a whammy bar effect when needed. Thats not what a whammy bar does.
    Guitarist350
    Trust me mate, when you've only been playing for about a year, the last thing you'll be wanting is a floyd rose.
    AcEL7
    Thanks BrokenDstring...at least someone has something positive to say.
    METALLICA83
    I paid 150 for this guitar with a Floyd and omg amazing!!! Almost better than my synyster gates guitar!!